Option: spreadable vegan cheese on sandwiches

nobody

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Prior to seeing a video from a restaurant called Louis' Lunch where they use spreadable cheese rather than sliced cheese on their sandwiches, I used to always use these:

574771.jpg

But now if I want to have cheese on some type of sandwich, I use this instead:

751311.jpg

It had never occurred to me to use spreadable cheese for a sandwich before. But now that I look at that video again, that cheese they use is much different in consistency than Miyoko's, but Miyoko's works.

An added bonus is you only have to buy one type of cheese and then you are covered whether you want to have a sandwich with cheese or crackers and cheese. I guess you can put sliced cheese on crackers but spreadable is better on them.

Last edited:
Oh I love Miyokos Roadhouse cheddar spread. It costs more than Daiya though at least in California, like for the past few weeks Daiya was less than 3 bucks on sale. Miyokos ranges from 7-10 dollars mostly.

Reactions: Lou
Oh I love Miyokos Roadhouse cheddar spread. It costs more than Daiya though at least in California, like for the past few weeks Daiya was less than 3 bucks on sale. Miyokos ranges from 7-10 dollars mostly.

Here are the prices at my store - not as big a difference:

Daiya:
7.8 oz.

$3.99*

*Until 11/23, normally $4.99

Miyoko's:
8 oz.

$6.49

I use a thinner layer of Miyoko's (on the bottom piece of bread with any other condiments going on the top piece) than are in 1 Dayia slice so ounce per ounce Miyoko's probably lasts me longer. With the sandwiches I'm making now, cheese is not a filling but a condiment and only adds a very subtle cheesy taste.

That is a three dollar difference. People who are on a food budget can get more sandwiches for less money buying Daiya.

I love Miyokos but it's stupidly expensive. Unlike you, I could go through a container in two days. I have no temptation to do that with Daiya since its not as good by itself. Daiya has to be with things, imo, while Miyokos can be delicious on its own.

Daiya has been 2.99 here for the past month and Miyokos is in the 6-7 dollar range.

I love Miyokos though.

But right now I have some Daiya Provolone slices in the frig because everything else was too expensive.

Mikonos is just so expensive. But i did buy their cream cheese product once when it was on sale. And it WAS very good.

I usually get the Field Roast Chao slices for burgers and I use Hummus for dips and for bagels.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
And if I'm having the Daiya farmhouse block with freshly baked bread I will also add a little spicy brown mustard if I'm feeling adventurous.

I usually get the Field Roast Chao slices

I used to buy these always. I think I switched to Daiya slices because I prefer the yellow cheddar look compared to the white cheddar appearance of Field Roast. But I should get it again but it's really good.

600470.jpg

The only cheezes I buy are the shreds Earth Island (in Canada) (Follow Your Heart) in the USA, cheddar and mozzarella.

For something spreadable I prefer hummus or a homemade cheeze sauce from potatoes, carrots, red pepper, onions, nooch etc.

Emma JC

That is a three dollar difference. People who are on a food budget can get more sandwiches for less money buying Daiya.

I love Miyokos but it's stupidly expensive. Unlike you, I could go through a container in two days. I have no temptation to do that with Daiya since its not as good by itself. Daiya has to be with things, imo, while Miyokos can be delicious on its own.

Daiya has been 2.99 here for the past month and Miyokos is in the 6-7 dollar range.

I love Miyokos though.
Wow, Daiya in my area is never below $4.50.

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas