One of the best sources of vegan protein you have never heard of!

Paul K

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Flexitarian
Hello Everyone,

I am a grad in Nutrition & Dietetics and I am trying to get people to eat more plant based. A common objection is the lack of protein

I have included some good sources of protein as well as one of the best one's nobody's ever heard of!

Check out my video below and please like/share/subscribe!

Reactions: Yuri
Hello Everyone,

I am a grad in Nutrition & Dietetics and I am trying to get people to eat more plant based. A common objection is the lack of protein

I have included some good sources of protein as well as one of the best one's nobody's ever heard of!

Check out my video below and please like/share/subscribe!

If the "common objection" is "lack of protein" then someone hasn't done their research. Unless they think all vegans do is eat lettuce...

As per the new protein source, no I have never tried it. Also, the 17 grams per 100 grams thing, nutritional yeast has 50+ grams protein from 100 grams of powder, so maybe you could shoot him a message about nooch and its massive protein levels :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Yuri
Thank you for your feedback! If you can spread the word/video that would be great. The thing about the source I mentioned is that they are actually delicious and make a very satisfying snack. Consuming powders all day isn't that appealing to most people, especially those that currently eat meat. My goal isn't necessarily to convert people to vegans but to support them in cutting down and the source I mentioned is cheap, healthy with an amazing nutrient profile! If you find a good brand you won't be able to stop eating them!

Thank you for your feedback! If you can spread the word/video that would be great. The thing about the source I mentioned is that they are actually delicious and make a very satisfying snack. Consuming powders all day isn't that appealing to most people, especially those that currently eat meat. My goal isn't necessarily to convert people to vegans but to support them in cutting down and the source I mentioned is cheap, healthy with an amazing nutrient profile! If you find a good brand you won't be able to stop eating them!

Nooch isn't something eaten on its own, it is an ingredient. That being said, using 100 grams of it to make mac n cheeze or tofu scramble is not uncommon. That being said, I think the whole "protein deficiency" thing is the wrong angle, it is simply inaccurate. I think it would be better to fight the inaccurate information, rather than trying to push an other food, not that I am against promoting more plant based foods, just that it seems to be done for a non-existent "problem".

If the "common objection" is "lack of protein" then someone hasn't done their research. Unless they think all vegans do is eat lettuce...

As per the new protein source, no I have never tried it. Also, the 17 grams per 100 grams thing, nutritional yeast has 50+ grams protein from 100 grams of powder, so maybe you could shoot him a message about nooch and its massive protein levels :)

Hmm. you know that comes out to only 17% protein by weight. But we are mostly interested in figuring the percent of calories from protien. Which I did the math and it's 37% which is great. Most beans are in the 20s. Soybeans are just 32%. But lupini beans are expensive. Soybeans are relatively cheap. And then there is tofu. Tofu is almost 50% protein. And I can grab a pound of it for just under $5 at the local grocery store. or a pound of soybeans for under $4.

Hmm. you know that comes out to only 17% protein by weight. But we are mostly interested in figuring the percent of calories from protien. Which I did the math and it's 37% which is great. Most beans are in the 20s. Soybeans are just 32%. But lupini beans are expensive. Soybeans are relatively cheap. And then there is tofu. Tofu is almost 50% protein. And I can grab a pound of it for just under $5 at the local grocery store. or a pound of soybeans for under $4.

The jar I bought was $3 Canadian at an Italian grocery store. Commercial grocery stores rip you off, and you probably won't find it there. Try Italian/Mediterranean grocers. Buy it in a glass jar, the canned unico ones suck. Also buy Olives there as the olives at regular grocery stores are terrible. You can buy them dried but it is more of a process to get them ready to eat but they are cheaper that (you will probably get a lot more bloating/gas if you don't buy them ready to eat).

Also this protein is a whole food. Concentrated protein powders will always have more protein as they remove fats/carbs from them. This is a whole food and tastes great. Protein powders are never as tasty as the original source.

Tofu is absolutely a great source but its like saying cheese has more protein than milk. This bean hasn't been changed in any way from its original form.

This bean is just in a league of its own for taste and macro-nutrient content

Reactions: Lou
I think as we deplete oceans of fish, and the human population level keeps increasing. It won't be feasible for us to continue eating as much animal protein as we do.

In my opinion legumes are the best answer, they are so cheap, and easy to grow. Tree nuts on the other hand are not the greatest option, too many calories, expensive/laborious to grow and not versatile enough with cooking. Seeds can be cheap, but like nuts they are high in fat and not very versatile.

The more legumes are pushed the better direction we head in for the environment/sustainability/our health. Legumes are by far the cheapest source of protein out there. There are also countless dishes from all over the world that you can explore that taste great!

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Who was it who said, Man cannot live on bean alone?

A well-balanced vegan diet contains Beans, veggies (dark green and leafy), grains, nuts, and seeds. Guess we should add yeast to that. And although beans are important they are just one of the legs.

But I'm sold, i will look for some Lupini beans next time I shop. (come to think of it - I think I have seen them in the canned beans section.
I already have some Bragg Nutritional Yeast in the cupboard. I add it to my split pea soup.

Last edited:
I'm personally not worried about not getting enough protein (and I don't think one should be unless they're simply not getting enough calories), but Smart and Final has little packages of marinated lupini beans that I pick up sometimes. they're really good ?

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
You're pretty funny, Paul!!

I agree with those above that say protein should not be an issue or made into an issue and yet so many people are still locked into this idea.

Lupini beans are great and are great as a snack. I was introduced to them years ago by some Portugese clients and they taught me the easiest way to eat them is to hold them on one side, make a tiny bite in the skin on the opposite side and then use your fingers to pop the bean, which is inside the skin, into your mouth. They are delicious and yet I would be careful of the salt content in the ones that you buy, it could be high. Rinsing will help with that. Also, do be sure that they are cooked and cooked properly!! Lupin flour is also a great flour to use for baking etc.

Emma JC