Omega 3 supplements

Let me know if you do, it would be interesting to see the comparison. Not inexpensive.

Emma JC

DEVA is $0.33 per capsule. and 300 mg of omega 3 per capsule. Each gram of Omega costs $1.10
Nutravege is 0.56 per capsule and 500 mg of omega 3 per capsule. Each gram of Omega costs $1.12

If you were going the route of taking one cap every other day, Nutraverge might be the better option. But then the brand Ovega is also a 500mg dose - and a little less expensive. But they are so close in prices it really makes little difference. However, Labdoor gave Ovega very high marks and I think that counts for something.

I used Amazon for all my pricing but I know that I can find better prices at some of the online pill shops.

And I just noticed on my chart a typo. I wrote Omega where I should have written OVEGA.

That video is excellent. I've never taken DHA and quite honestly if it were somehow required as a vegan, then I would not see Vegan in the light that I do - which is that it is the natural diet for man (whole foods vegan). B-12 is arguably different because of how most modern man lives, but DHA isn't something one can typically just find in the wild, or in untreated water and other sources like B-12 is.

Lol. DHA is in algae.

I just take chlorella. It's in the bulk bin at the market and extremely cheap. If I felt I needed a more potent supplement I would go for any algal oil in veg tabs.

I am just a redneck hick.

I did not know that there was a mega 3 and a mega 6. Them vitamins are so expensive. I thought I was doing a good job by swallowing Walmart vitamin pill every day.

How do you guys have energy to keep track of what vitamins you eat?

I am just a redneck hick.

I did not know that there was a mega 3 and a mega 6. Them vitamins are so expensive. I thought I was doing a good job by swallowing Walmart vitamin pill every day.

How do you guys have energy to keep track of what vitamins you eat?

Advise to watch the video Sax posted by VegSource on DHA/ Omega 3.

I don't take any supplements except the occasional B-12, although I usually get that from fortified Vegemite. I would not be vegan if I had to take a
ton of supplements to bolster a whole or mostly whole food diet - to me that would be like saying Vegan is an inferior diet and that meat/eggs/dairy etc is "optimal" or "normal". That being said, I might take Vitamin D (might) if I lived in a region where sunlight was limited. But otherwise, I'm not interested in paying for supplements when God has provided the nutrients (or the precursors thereof) for my body to convert which is in plant foods.

Reactions: fakei and Hog
I've been taking Freshfield, though my recent bloodword showed I was fine without taking any supplement in that area.
Does anyone have any experience with that?

Omega 3 is not normally tested for. but it can be. You would have to ask your Doctor to give you the test. I might next time I get a blood test.

Don't know what Freshfield is. What is it?

Thank you for this. Omega 3 has been a complete mystery to me. I have relied on flax seeds and walnuts for Omega 3 but have been wondering if supplementation would be nessessary.

I eat Omega 3, but flax seeds does not absorb well in the body. Omega 3 from Algae does. Either eat a lot of Algae, I mean a lot. Or supplement. Im eating HealthPassionClub Omega 3, its from Algae and the price is good.

I've been thinking about taking a supplement to ensure I get all three types. I have been taking flaxseed oil nearly every day but I want to be sure I get enough. During my research, I found out that brussel sprouts are really good for ALA. I love brussels!

i don't always get enough ALA from real food. I don't have ground flax seeds every day. Hemp and chia seeds are not regular participants in my diet.
so i take one cap (half dose) of Flaxseed oil. and another cap (another half dose) of vegan DHA/EPA.
I'm a senior citizen now and I am trying to touch all the bases.

i don't always get enough ALA from real food. I don't have ground flax seeds every day. Hemp and chia seeds are not regular participants in my diet.
so i take one cap (half dose) of Flaxseed oil. and another cap (another half dose) of vegan DHA/EPA.
I'm a senior citizen now and I am trying to touch all the bases.
I try and have a Tblsp of ground flax every day, either in smoothie, which isn't often anymore, or grains. Chia is another alternative, and should be ground like flax for maximum benefits. You can just add it to water!
I always seem to buy a different algae dha based on price, amazon, but now I have these and they have NO burps! Even though I only get one or two from others I really hate the taste. Maybe people who like fish would like the taste?

This is what I bought last.

This is what I bought last.

That looks like a good deal. How large are the capsules?

That looks like a good deal. How large are the capsules?

softgels. .25 inch x .50 inch.

The Freshfields are about 25 bucks for a two month supply - 60 caps
the Zen Wise are also about 25 bucks. but for 120 caps. You are supposed to take two a day, tho.
I just take one.

Not all vegan omega 3 is something the body can absorb. The best absorb rate is from Omega 3 from Algae.
The best Algae Omega 3 supplement I know is from HealthPassionClub.com
Its best quality and also best price.

• Informative
Reactions: Brian W
I take an omega 3-6-9 supplement. It seems to be making a big difference.

There have been times when I found a vegan diet hard to stick to because I didn't seem to be getting all the nutrients I needed.

The combo of omega oils and B12 seems to be exactly what I needed.

Yes, I would like to get these nutrients naturally and not via supplements.

I see it this way: Going vegan involves a learning process. You're best off taking supplements until you've figured out how to get everything you need without the supplements. That's better than depriving yourself of nutrients you need, which could cause harm to your body and/or a need to revert to omni.

I've tried a lot of different variations on the plant-based to vegan spectrum. Vegan but with those supplements feels healthiest to me. (I also take calcium and D3, but that would be beneficial on any diet.)

I'm kind of surprised that vegan "meat" isn't fortified with at least B12. Frosted Flakes are fortified with B12. So why not Trader Joe's vegan chorizo? It can't be that hard to add B12 and omega oils to stuff like that.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Omega 3-6-9 still requires the body to convert to DHA/ EPA.
I find taking the algae oil supplements give me better focus than anything else I've tried. I've never been a fish eater, so I may have been missing that my whole life, even though I've always tried to eat a good ratio
I bought these last time and they are a good value now. One capsule has combined 300 DHA/EPA, which is what Dr Greger recommends

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
I'm kind of surprised that vegan "meat" isn't fortified with at least B12. Frosted Flakes are fortified with B12. So why not Trader Joe's vegan chorizo? It can't be that hard to add B12 and omega oils to stuff like that.
Some vegan meats are fortified with vitamin B12. It depends on the brand and product.

Reactions: Urban Gardener