Ok to wear old leather boots?

Sydney

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hey guys I was wondering if it is OK for me to wear for new years my old leather boots that I got before I was vegan ? I generally stay away from clothes that aren't vegan that I bought before becoming vegan. Now I only buy vegan but I don't have time (or money) to buy new waterproof pretty shoes for the new years eve party. So all that to say even though I don't promote it and regret that I ever bought them, can I still where them for one night?

You got it b4 you were vegan so yeah it's okay since you paid for them. Buying new stuff is always so pricey it sucks. We probably all bought stuff we regret b4 going vegan. I know I do.:(

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
There really is no issues if it was purchased/obtained before hand. I have mountaineering boots that were purchased before I was vegan, woollen blankets and even some silk sari cloth sleeping bag liners that were all bought before I was even vegetarian. My old hiking boots are on their last legs, but after 30 odd years use, I don't mind. I accept that I knew a lot less about conditions then. They've been well worn, and looked after. I knit with second hand wool, unpicking my old garments and recycling the wool into new. Sometimes, in my view, recycling and looking after the environment around us is just as important. If i didn't continue to make good use of these materials (all purchased before I was vegan), I'd need an alternative and sadly a lot of those alternatives rely on petrochemicals which I'm even less keen on if I'm honest. So using what you have already purchased and getting the best use of of it, actually ensuring it is worn out, repaired, resoled, and worn again before throwing away is, I'm my view, a much better option. But not all vegans will agree. There are some who will tell you you should burn the product to ensure that no one else 'benifits' from that animals death. My view is that given it died before I was vegan (or even vegetarian) ensuring it's death is meaningful is just add important.

Sorry if that sounds like a lecture, it's something I feel very strongly about. Veganism and the environment need to compliment each other not fight against each other. Petrochemical products are not necessarily an improvement. I just don't purchase new (even second hand new) of either.

There really is no issues if it was purchased/obtained before hand. I have mountaineering boots that were purchased before I was vegan, woollen blankets and even some silk sari cloth sleeping bag liners that were all bought before I was even vegetarian. My old hiking boots are on their last legs, but after 30 odd years use, I don't mind. I accept that I knew a lot less about conditions then. They've been well worn, and looked after. I knit with second hand wool, unpicking my old garments and recycling the wool into new. Sometimes, in my view, recycling and looking after the environment around us is just as important. If i didn't continue to make good use of these materials (all purchased before I was vegan), I'd need an alternative and sadly a lot of those alternatives rely on petrochemicals which I'm even less keen on if I'm honest. So using what you have already purchased and getting the best use of of it, actually ensuring it is worn out, repaired, resoled, and worn again before throwing away is, I'm my view, a much better option. But not all vegans will agree. There are some who will tell you you should burn the product to ensure that no one else 'benifits' from that animals death. My view is that given it died before I was vegan (or even vegetarian) ensuring it's death is meaningful is just add important.

Sorry if that sounds like a lecture, it's something I feel very strongly about. Veganism and the environment need to compliment each other not fight against each other. Petrochemical products are not necessarily an improvement. I just don't purchase new (even second hand new) of either.

I completely agree with you. For very similar reasons (though my concern is with biodegradability rather than petrochemicals), I have long been annoyed by the carefree vegan attitude that says, "Oh, you can be just as much of a consumerist as a vegan as you were previously! Look at all the wonderful plastic shoes and bags and sweaters and coats and comforters and pillows you can buy! Throw out all your stuff and buy new plastic versions! Because who cares about landfills and fish and birds choking on bits of plastic that will still be here thousands of years after you're gone? Just buy, buy, and buy, and then buy some more!" I hate it. I genuinely think that a strict vegetarian who buys one pair of leather shoes every three years and one wool sweater every five years is a better friend to animals than a vegan who goes shopping for cheap plastic junk every week, and then feels all good about herself for donating it to Goodwill the following week, blissfully unaware that the vast majority of the stuff that's donated ends up in landfills.

Recently, I have been very excited to find out that a new alternative to leather has been developed that is all natural, made of mushrooms. Take a look:

Last edited:
Ask yourself this: would it do the animal that died to make them any justice in throwing them out? Are you any less vegan for wearing leather boots you bought before going vegan? The answer to both questions is kinda obvious...not that it wasn't a fair question, but the answer is still, no. The animal already unwillingly gave its life to make the boots, and you are no less a vegan for wearing them. In my humblest opinion, of course.

Best of luck on your vegan journey!

I think there is no issue as you already having regret for that, and ya it is not easy if you bought a pretty stuff and not able to use just because of ethical changes. I think being a Vegan is not easy we can't eliminate non-vegan items in a day it need time as we already invested whole life on non vegan lifestyle as we come to know about the cruelty behind that, we start converting as per now happy journey to all vegan

I realized one day that I have two wool jumpers and a leather belt. Felt horrible for it and then considered replacing them. Meaning, I knew that they were wool and leather but it never hit me I just kinda had those forever and the wool jumpers are the main clothes I wear during Fall and Winter. And the thing is I didn't buy them, those items I got free years ago, before veganism. Also, I am attached to them, they hold a lot of history - everytime I look at them a memory pops up and feel like I love those items... even if they aren't cruelty free.
I am also frugal and a minimalist so I don't have much, only the stuff that I hold dear so the thought of replacing them feels depressing. I'm old (29 years) and I die before any of those items wear out. So I keep them. Maybe. I can't get closure on this.
On the other hand it is kinda grim to wear something that came from enslaved animals.

I recon that minimalist don't get attached to stuff but I deffinitely do.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! New here...
So, if I wear vintage wool sweaters which I inherit from my mom and aunt, I should not feel guilty? I will never be able to buy new wool sweater but some of them is my grandma's domestic knitwear, made before I was even born. Also, here where I live, the winters are very cold, it's very hard to stay warm without wearing wool.
Thank you

Reactions: Emma JC