News Obituaries

De mortuis nihil nisi bonum

Nevertheless, my friend Paul met Safer some thirty-odd years ago, and says Safer was a smoker. In this context, living to 84 can be seen as having a long life.

Madeleine Lebeau, best known for playing "Yvonne" in Casablanca, passed away May 1st, due to complications of a bone fracture, at age 92. She was the last surviving cast member of the film. In 1940, she fled from Paris, to escape the Nazis, and landed in Hollywood. Her performance in the movie was heartfelt.

Madeleine-Lebeau.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Tom L.
[emoji22]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ohhh.... R.I.P., Ali.... :(

To Cassius Clay!

Cassius_Clay.jpg

Jer told me what our dear friend, Kevin Cole posted on FB (I'm not on FB).... Kevin was playing (piano, of course) in a club years back (don't know where, don't know when ;)) when he heard the crowd murmuring "The Champ, The Champ", etc.... next thing he knows, Ali is RIGHT there by him, asks him if he knows a certain tune.... of course he does.... Champ is pleased, sits down next to Kevin & starts playing some ragtime. LOL

I shouldn't be surprised, really.... this cat's met everyone. Performed all over the globe, met the likes of Irving Berlin & Ira Gershwin, et al (also considered one of the foremost authorities on Gershwin songs, performing/arranging/etc.).... but Jer & I "grew up" with him, and he's such a real guy, especially when he comes back home.... in fact all our birthdays are in the same time frame, we missed 'em in winter, & Kev told Jer come hell or high water, we're all having a belated b-day drink.

Sorry.... went off base.... I didn't know that Ali even played. How cool. :cool: Small world.

(and Facebookers, please don't stalk my friends because of my post. LOL :p Molto grazie)

Last edited:
Reactions: ledboots
"I would like to be remembered as a man who won the heavyweight title three times, who was humorous and who treated everyone right.

"As a man who never looked down on those who looked up to him...who stood up for his beliefs...who tried to unite all humankind through faith and love.

"And if all that's too much, then I guess I'd settle for being remembered only as a great boxer who became a leader and a champion of his people. And I wouldn't even mind if folks forgot how pretty I was."

You were a man of courage and integrity. And you were very, very pretty.

I saw a bit of the memorial as they were showing it on the BBC news channel last night. I saw Billy Crystal speaking and it was quite touching. I thought Bill Clinton looks as if he is unwell.

I saw a bit of the memorial as they were showing it on the BBC news channel last night. I saw Billy Crystal speaking and it was quite touching. I thought Bill Clinton looks as if he is unwell.

Bill has been doing a lot of stumping for his wife on the campaign trail in the past few months, so he was likely very tired.

Bill Maher on his HBO show last night said Muhammad Ali basically invented rap music because of his self-reverential braggadocio, which wasn't that common back in the 1960s.

Probably because Hillary took him off his previously mostly plant-based diet and put him on ... Atkins? I forget.