Nutritional yeast...

D

Digger

I tried nutritional yeast for the first time in my life tonight, which is kinda surprising since I've been vegetarian for over four years now, but I have to admit that it wasn't nearly as disgusting as I had imagined. I sprinkled some over pasta and although it definitely isn't parmesan, it was a worthy substitute. What do you all use it for? Are there any specific dishes that require it?

Reactions: CrowCaw
I make a broccoli and cheese soup that uses it (recipe from chloe's kitchen). It's the only thing I've used it for so far, but it was good, so I'd definitely use it again.

I tried nutritional yeast for the first time in my life tonight, which is kinda surprising since I've been vegetarian for over four years now, but I have to admit that it wasn't nearly as disgusting as I had imagined. I sprinkled some over pasta and although it definitely isn't parmesan, it was a worthy substitute. What do you all use it for? Are there any specific dishes that require it?

I agree and don't think that it tastes anything like parmesan.
I sprinkle it over salads, for making burgers and soup. I am actually not keen on it over pasta.

I'm looking forward to trying it over scambled tofu... what are your favorite recipes for that?

I really love it in "mock tuna" salad. Oddly, when I have the container open I am happy to stuff spoonfuls of it straight into my mouth.

I do not care for it on pasta, and the one time I tried it on popcorn, I ate two pieces and then promptly threw away the whole batch, I found it so disgusting.

I add a little when I scramble tofu. I use quite a bit in *creamy* vegetable soups, and I add a bit to most soups - a little adds a layer of depth to soups without bringing the NY flavor to the forefront.

ETA: For scrambled tofu, I dissolve a bit of veggie boullion in water, and use that and nutritional yeast and pepper to flavor the tofu as it's frying. Chopped up veggies scrambled with the tofu are also good.

Oh, yes, I use it in vegan quiche also, and I use massive amounts in a vegan version of Salzkuchen that I make. (Salzkuchen is a rustic German dish that has some similarity to quiche.)

I use it on pasta and popcorn and in lots of recipes such as chickpea salad, tofu scramble, eggplant balls and some gravies. I love the stuff.

I use it in mac and cheese (Chef Chloe's recipe to be exact), and sometimes add it in when making salad dressing.

In the beginning I only liked it on popcorn. I love it on popcorn, so I kept buying it.
Apparently it's an acquired taste, because I've acquired it. I now use more in Chloes mac and cheese than it calls for!
I really like it when it's with Braggs aminos! the combo is really good!

Thanks for all the ideas!

What I have found so far is that if I use it sparingly it can really add flavor to a dish, but if I put too much on it can ruin a dish.

I suppose like all new foods it just takes time to learn how to use it properly. :)

I am ridiculous with the stuff. I just love it!

Does anyone notice a difference in taste between the flakes and powder? Besides measuring of course.
My NFS has it in tubs in the refrigerated section, and I always got the flakes by chance- never noticed the powder. The last time I got the powder by accident> I liked a LOT. I don't know if I just adjusted to liking it, or the powdered has a slightly different taste.
They're both Red Star brand.

I put it in mashed potatoes, in spaghetti sauce, in refried beans (I like those dry ones), in gravy, in soup. I'm such a lousy cook that sometimes i just mix it with noodles and a little veggie bullion. That's my quick mac and "cheese." Can also be put on vegetables as others have mentioned. That's all I can think of right now.

I tried it twice and got an upset stomach each time... it's a shame, because now the smell of it turns my belly - and I hear so many good things about it! D:
The same thing happened with liquid smoke. Sigh.