AmandaMonty

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi everyone, I am a newbie vegan only two weeks in. I'm having terrible headaches at the moment and I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I am trying to eat often, sometimes up to 5 times a day, but I'm still feeling a bit rubbish. I wasn't having a lot of meat and dairy before I switched so I didn't think it would be a difficult transition, but I am finding it tough. Any tips on what I could add to my diet to stop the headaches would be great xx

Hello Amanda, and welcome! Sorry to hear you're having a bit of trouble.

What are the sorts of foods you eat? Some new vegans end up eating a lot of white rice, white pasta, white bread and breakfast cereals full of sugar, maybe in addition to juices and too much sugary fruits. I think these foods can give you headaches sometimes, if they make up a large portion of the foods you eat.

Are you eating any legumes or products made from legumes such as beans (including soya beans, soya milk, soya yogurt, tofu, tempeh), chickpeas (including hummus), lentils, peas, peanuts / peanut butter? These are good for protein.

What about fats?

Are you taking any supplements? 'Veg1' from the Vegan Society has got you covered, in most cases. There are also fortified plant milks (calcium, vit. B12 and D) - always go with the fortified ones, whenever available.

Hello, Thank you for your reply.

I am trying to eat a varied diet, lots of veg (eating the rainbow!) I'm eating brown or wholegrain rice and bread, not a big fan of pasta so not having much of that. I'm using almond milk and soya based yoghurts. Having a mix of sweet and white potatoes.

I don't eat cereal or drink fruit juice because of the sugar and I don't drink coffee. I am having marmite as part of by B12 intake and snacking on nuts between meals. I am considering adding a B12 supplement, I am already taking a multi vit and extra vit D.

If I am missing anything I would welcome the advise.

xx

Hello & :welcome: to the forum. What do you eat for protein ? Are you eating enough ? Do you drink enough water/liquids during the day ?

Reactions: Gaspard
That's great about having a varied diet including brown and wholegrain rice and bread.

You didn't mention any legumes. That could be a problem.

Also, what do you eat for breakfast? Personally, I like to get a good start to the day with a healthful & wholesome breakfast, although perhaps that is more of a personal preference.

Hi everyone, I am a newbie vegan only two weeks in. I'm having terrible headaches at the moment and I'm wondering if I'm missing something. I am trying to eat often, sometimes up to 5 times a day, but I'm still feeling a bit rubbish. I wasn't having a lot of meat and dairy before I switched so I didn't think it would be a difficult transition, but I am finding it tough. Any tips on what I could add to my diet to stop the headaches would be great xx
Hello, Thank you for your reply.

I am trying to eat a varied diet, lots of veg (eating the rainbow!) I'm eating brown or wholegrain rice and bread, not a big fan of pasta so not having much of that. I'm using almond milk and soya based yoghurts. Having a mix of sweet and white potatoes.

I don't eat cereal or drink fruit juice because of the sugar and I don't drink coffee. I am having marmite as part of by B12 intake and snacking on nuts between meals. I am considering adding a B12 supplement, I am already taking a multi vit and extra vit D.

If I am missing anything I would welcome the advise.

xx

A couple of thoughts.

Check the ingredients on the prepared products like the soy yogurts. Do they contain any artificial sweeteners like Aspartame? These can cause people problems, including headaches. I mention because it appears you are extra careful about sugar (cereals/fruit juices), so might be choosing products labeled "low/no" sugar, which often means chemical sweeteners.

2 weeks in your body is still adjusting. I do not remember headaches at such an early stage, but I know that around this time and for some time after I was still going to the bathroom a lot - body was still adjusting. The body's transition time can vary between individuals.

5 meals a day is sort of unusual unless the meals themselves either aren't dense enough in calories and/or don't contain enough fiber and/or resistant starch to feed the bacteria you want to foster in your gut. But your post indicates you are eating these. I wonder if you are eating to satiation?

Reactions: KLS52 and Gaspard
Welcome. Usually any whole plant food works... The headaches might not be related to your new diet. May be you should see a doctor. I don't think a vegan diet could give you headaches...

Here is the list of the foods you need for a healthy diet: vegetables, whole grains, legumes, fruits, nuts and seeds, water.
And you should add spices, mushrooms and algae (for iodine) to the list.

You shouldn’t overeat spinach, beet greens, Swiss Chard and star fruits. Keep these low (not more than one serving a day).

Have a look at Dr Greger Daily dozen if you want to have more details (greens, cruciferous, berries, etc):

I agree with Nikodaiden in that maybe it’s not so much what you’re lacking as it is what you might be eating now that you weren’t before? Is there something new you’ve introduced or maybe eating a lot more of that you weren’t before?

Hey i remember when i was going through that in the beginning. It was tough still experience it every once in a while though, but its been getting better since i started learning new recipes.

welcome @AmandaMonty to the forum

You have received lots of great advice and cronometer.com is a quick and easy way to track your calorie input and output as well as your carbs, proteins and fats. Maybe try it out for a week or so and see if you are getting enough to eat of the right foods.

Looking forward to your successes on this journey.

Emma JC