New vegan - support & advice welcomed :)

Hollipop134

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi,Ive recently transitioned to being vegan (over-night!) After doing a lot of research and watching a lot of documentaries about veganism etc I decided to make the leap :) I have been a vegetarian on & off for years anyway,I didn't like red meat and I avoided all dairy products (except semi-skimmed milk in hot drinks) so the transition was maybe easier for me than for others.. I am enjoying cooking new recipes and experimenting with new dishes - I just generally feel "healthier" & "cleaner"!
I've suffered from eating disorders for 10 years so restriction when it came to food was my norm.I would binge on large quantities of high sugar/fat items and feel awful for it,from the inside out.I almost felt as if food was controlling me,rather than the other way around.Now I feel so much less restricted in terms of food which is ironic!I feel as if my mind is "allowing" me to have & enjoy all these healthy meals and feel as if I have a very positive relationship with food now.
I'm a few weeks into veganism & feel as if I am eating a really good mix of veg (both cooked & raw),fruit and good carbs (whole wheat bread etc).The only soy products I have are yoghurts and milk (once daily) & I have vegan snack bars ("Naked") in between meals.Im still experiencing gas & bloating though :( Will this pass??xx

You may be eating more foods that are gas prone. Your body just needs to time to catch up with its new demands. I drink a lot of ginger tea, mint tea with a lot of my meals. This is a habit that I developed as a child in Jamaica. Drinking the hot tea would often lead to large burp and instant relief from gas and bloat.

It is wise to soak beans in water overnight before eating them. Soaking them will lessen the chances of you having gas. It is good to soak most produce before eating anyways.

Last edited by a moderator: