New vegan questions

Jules86

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello, i went from a pretty bad junkfood diet to vegetarian about 2,5 weeks ago and now since a week vegan.
Questions i have
- what extra vitamins are best to take when you follow this lifestyle?
- i read alot about high carb low fat vegan, i also need to lose alot of weight, is following this a good idea then? Besides the food i also run(not far yet) almost everyday and plan get a membership at a gym in a couple of weeks.
- how much carbs should you then consume everyday? And what other things are important? I can enter my food online in a food diary so i can see if i then eat enough of these things.
- we have lots of nice meat replacements here. But what do you need to look for in the ingredients to see if they are vegan or not? cause i read not all are vegan, only vegetarian.

Thank you
If i think of more questions i will post them here;)

I'd take a multivitamin as a newbie, yes. In addition to the options provided by the Vegan Society (UK) at that link, consider supplementing your metals such as iron and magnesium.

HCLF is a good option for losing weight, yes. Have you had a look at www.30bananasaday.com? You will find a treasure trove of information about being a HCLF vegan there.

Dietary allergens tend to be printed in bold in the UK so I always scan the ingredients and let the font catch my eye. However there are a few notable exceptions that don't seem to get the bold treatment - honey and albumen (that's egg) in particular. Otherwise look for a vegetarian/vegan sign (there are lots of products that are only marked vegetarian that are also, in fact, vegan but you do need to check).

Thank you, i will look at that site. The info is just a bit confusing when i was looking for information. Some vegans say you should not eat alot of carbs if you want to loose wegiht and others say you do.

I have to check if its the same here for the ingredients.

Hi Jules,

Another option besides 30bananas a day could be this program (starch based: potatoes, rice, corn, beans, cereals):

https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/free-mcdougall-program/

I have tried both programs and decided to stick with starch. In turn you might need to try them out for yourself and see.

Both programs are high carb - but carb is not the enemy (as the low carb community like Atkins and Paleo would have you believe).

Gab

Reactions: fzjohnson
Thanx, i eat do eat now like that plan. I read the weightloss can take a while cause your body has to get used to this diet so hopefully it will work. I think the way of eating is also something that fits with me.

Jules, it will work ... it is key to set the expectations right. For example:
My current understanding is that, depending on how far you are from the norm, it can take up to two years for the body to come back to normal parameters.

The important thing is not to lose weight too fast. 2lbs per week should really be the maximum rate of weight loss; any faster and you're at risk at pushing your body into starvation which can lead to all kinds of problems and deficiencies.

Yes i have lost some weight but its a bit dissapointing to see that some times some weight is gained while i eat so healthy and go running every day. Hope in a while i will see more results. I will also be joining a gym so that will help also. I have eaten bad for years so will take some time