New vegan--advice?

demibird

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello! I've been a vegetarian/pescatarian for about... 6 years? I don't eat any meats except at family functions where I compromise and eat fish so my family doesn't have to strain their thinkers coming up with recipes for me lol. I mainly do this for environmental reasons (sustainable farming, etc) but I do have a strong ethical and spiritual basis for my diet, too. For a long time, I've intended to transition to vegan because the dairy industry is almost (if not just as?) environmentally unsustainable, and both the dairy and egg markets are abusive to their animals, too... it's taken me so long purely because I'm a lazy eater. Hell, that's why I still eat fish, lol. I'm too lazy to bring my own food to functions...

So I'm here to ask for some advice and to vent some complaints! (For instance--ugh, day 3 and I swear I've never wanted a McFlurry more...)

First--what do y'all think about still eating the occasional fish? I really only eat salmon and tuna, but I know absolutely NOTHING about fish markets and their environmental/ethical impact. I'm really waiting for someone to open my eyes to some horrible practice in the fishing industry... lmao.

Second... veganism and fast food? Being vegan for me has nothing to do with being healthy. I don't want this to turn into sack lunches for work today and living off of fancy quinoa salads I make myself, etc. I'd really prefer to remain a lazy eater if at all possible, lol. I know the Chipotle by my work can do burrito bowls with sofritas and no cheese and that's vegan, but I can't have Chipotle every day. There's a Subway by my work, too--is their bread vegan? If I drive a bit I can get to a Noodles & Co...

What about being a vegan at sit-down restaurants? Especially if I drop fish entirely, this will be a struggle, I know. Does anyone have restaurant recommendations or advice in general?

Anyway, thanks in advance!!

To answer your question about why to avoid fish; watch 'Food Choices' on Netflix. It's what brought me here and why I'm a Vegan newbie!