New US govt dietary guidelines might recommend less meat

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
The U.S. Department of Agriculture is preparing to release the latest version of the government's influential dietary guidelines this year, and there could be a major change that accelerates the trend of Americans eating less meat.

The guidelines, which are updated every five years, have traditionally advised Americans about healthy eating choices, eating choices which, until now, have only reflected what the government views as a diet that is healthy for humans. But the panel that advises the government is pushing for the recommendations to reflect what is healthy for the environment, too. Given the huge carbon footprint of meat production, making this change would almost certainly entail lowering the official, government-recommended intake of meat.
Read more: The meat industry’s worst nightmare could soon become a reality - The Washington Post (January 7, 2015) (WARNING: contains image of carcasses.)

It's unlikely. The meat and dairy industry will lobby hard to prevent it.
The recommendation in it's final draft will read something like this: "eat more lean meats"

There has been slow but real progress in the USA. For example, meat was changed to "protein foods" and legumes and nuts are featured in this category. I hope they get rid of the dairy category since there is little nutritional basis to have it as a separate category.

Reactions: David3
There has been slow but real progress in the USA. For example, meat was changed to "protein foods" and legumes and nuts are featured in this category. I hope they get rid of the dairy category since there is little nutritional basis to have it as a separate category.
That change is a bit of an improvement, but I think its a pretty superficial change as the "protein" category is for the most part the meat group with a new name. I can never understand why nuts are emphasized for protein, nuts tend to have poor quality protein and per calorie they contain around the same as grains and grains tend to have higher quality protein. There seems to be little nutritionally basis for this association so I reckon it must come from the various nut industries.

But, yeah, the dairy category makes little sense but I think it will be awhile before that one gets removed. Any western nutrition 101 textbook I have seen still emphasizes dairy foods, especially for kids, while they have been recommending meat reduction for awhile.

The USDA's "My Plate" food diagram already recommends a relatively small amount of meat. In the USDA's "My Plate" food diagram, meat only covers about 20% of the plate. The remaining 80% of the plate is grains, vegetables, and fruit. So, progress is being made. That being said, I'm not sure how much power the USDA's recommendations actually have. I think most people get diet advice from Dr. Oz, or from their gym buddies.