UK New sofa has feathers in it-What To Do?

Clipclop

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hi everyone,

I'm new here - nice to meet you all!

I have a horrible dilemma that I'd appreciate others' opinions on. Please may I ask that you be kind in your replies, I'm beating myself up enough about this already.

In short, my husband and I just bought our first house together and we decided to treat ourselves to a new sofa.

We spent ages choosing it (from sofa.com) and even longer waiting for it to arrive. It's finally here and looks great but I didn't realise the seat cushions are partly stuffed with duck feathers!!

I feel like such an idiot and am so angry with myself. I made such a point of not choosing leather and it didn't even cross my mind that feathers might be used. I've never had an expensive sofa before and stupidly thought all sofas used synthetic stuffing!

I really don't know what to do. I can return it for a £50 charge, but my husband (non-vegan) loves the sofa and thinks I'm being ridiculous. I have emailed sofa.com just now asking for information on where they source their feathers, but, of course, ideally I just wouldn't choose feathers at all.

I'm quite new to being vegan and really go out of my way to try to avoid animal products in anything I use. I just can't believe I didn't think to check this and feel so angry at myself. All I wanted was to enjoy our new sofa!

What would you do? Would you return it?

Thanks in advance.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L.
Just an update in case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation: I called sofa.com and they said that they could replace the cushions with ones made of foam. Frustratingly, had I been offered this option before ordering, it would have been done for free, whereas now there will be a charge. I guess this is the price I'll pay for not checking materials! But at least we can keep the actual sofa.

So, just passing this on for anyone else. Do always ask before ordering if there is a vegan alternative material, because, apparently there is!

Just an update in case anyone finds themselves in a similar situation: I called sofa.com and they said that they could replace the cushions with ones made of foam. Frustratingly, had I been offered this option before ordering, it would have been done for free, whereas now there will be a charge. I guess this is the price I'll pay for not checking materials! But at least we can keep the actual sofa.

So, just passing this on for anyone else. Do always ask before ordering if there is a vegan alternative material, because, apparently there is!

I would have disputed the extra charge. If it's not clearly stipulated on the document that you signed, how did you know what you were ordering? Moreover, birds feathers can trigger serious allergies for some people.

It's not too late to contact a member of staff to make a complaint.

Hi Shyvas, well, funnily enough I did mention exactly this and they said they would call me back tomorrow with an answer regarding the charge. They were actually very understanding (which surprised me!) but I guess they could argue it was my responsibility to check about materials.

Thank you though- I will press the point again and hope for the best. Either way though, I have learnt a lesson for the future! Always check and always ask!

Hi Shyvas, well, funnily enough I did mention exactly this and they said they would call me back tomorrow with an answer regarding the charge. They were actually very understanding (which surprised me!) but I guess they could argue it was my responsibility to check about materials.

Thank you though- I will press the point again and hope for the best. Either way though, I have learnt a lesson for the future! Always check and always ask!

I would still dispute it in writing. It's up to the shop (or firm) to be transparent and clearly specify what they are selling.

How much are they charging you ?

• Agree
Reactions: Blues and Emma JC
I would not have thought to ask about stuffing materials! :sigh: A jacket, bedding, sure, but not a couch or chair! I happen to also be needing a couch, so glad to see this brought up!

I agree with Shyvas. Feathers are quite an allergan and it should not be up to the consumer to question their presence!
It isn't just the buyer who will be exposed to this kind of furniture, so there use seems odd to me

Reactions: bEt and Emma JC
I bet if you're nice but persistent they'll eat the charge and exchange cushions for free. It sucks when you accidentally buy something that isn't vegan...especially if it's gonna be in your home for years! But even if you had ended up stuck with it that's just a live-and-learn thing IMO not worth beating yourself up over.

I've also been looking into a new sofa and it never crossed my mind the cushions could be feathered. I weigh 220lbs, I'm gonna need a little more support than that :laughing:

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC
Thank you, I'm so pleased and relieved to hear that it isn't just me who didn't know about furniture stuffing. I felt so angry with myself, but you're all absolutely right; they should make it really clear, especially if it's a potential allergen! I will definitely persist and be nice :)

Good luck choosing your new couch, Silva and Sax. I hope you both find a nice foam-filled piece :cool:

Reactions: Sax and Emma JC
Hello! Apologies for not replying sooner!

Good news is that the new cushions arrived today and they did not charge me for them. They said that given the circumstances, and the fact that the sofa was brand new, they were happy to waive the usual fee, for which I was incredibly grateful!

They assured me that the old feather cushions would be used in showrooms or given to charity, as I was worried that they would be thrown away (which is worse than keeping them, in my opinion).

So, good result all round, and definitely a lesson to ask about fabrics before purchasing!

I hope this helps anyone reading.

Hello! Apologies for not replying sooner!

Good news is that the new cushions arrived today and they did not charge me for them. They said that given the circumstances, and the fact that the sofa was brand new, they were happy to waive the usual fee, for which I was incredibly grateful!

They assured me that the old feather cushions would be used in showrooms or given to charity, as I was worried that they would be thrown away (which is worse than keeping them, in my opinion).

So, good result all round, and definitely a lesson to ask about fabrics before purchasing!

I hope this helps anyone reading.
I'm looking for a new sofa and googled looking for vegan information about sofas and found this thread so thanks for posting. Will make sure to check.

Reactions: Tom L. and bEt
Hello @Clipclop!

New to the forum, and your post was recommended as a related post to mine (about car leather). We are currently in a 3 month battle with DFS regarding our sofa. Thankfully I did ask the question at point of purchase regarding if the sofa we had chosen was vegan. The salesperson said the cushions had duck feathers. I asked if I could swap them out for a synthetic fibre instead, she said to contact Customer Service and they could help me. Long story short no, no there is no other option. We have had the worst customer service ever. Apparently my request to have vegan cushions is unusual and never been an issue before. The store manager we bought the sofa from refused a refund / return.

Currently we have a sofa that started to creak a month after we bought it, still on the delivery legs as they sent the sofa with the wrong ones, they still haven't sent revised paperwork following a change to the finance and a pile of empty cushion covers they said they are awaiting custom filling for. It's been like this for 3 months. We chase and chase via telephone and no one gets back to us. We keep asking the store manager for a refund and he refuses.

Please PLEASE people of the UK...DO NOT BUY A SOFA FROM DFS!

In answer to your dilemma...I'd return the sofa. I wish we had the same option.

• Friendly
  • Informative
Reactions: bEt and PTree15
Hi everyone,

I'm new here - nice to meet you all!

I have a horrible dilemma that I'd appreciate others' opinions on. Please may I ask that you be kind in your replies, I'm beating myself up enough about this already.

In short, my husband and I just bought our first house together and we decided to treat ourselves to a new sofa.

We spent ages choosing it (from sofa.com) and even longer waiting for it to arrive. It's finally here and looks great but I didn't realise the seat cushions are partly stuffed with duck feathers!!

I feel like such an idiot and am so angry with myself. I made such a point of not choosing leather and it didn't even cross my mind that feathers might be used. I've never had an expensive sofa before and stupidly thought all sofas used synthetic stuffing!

I really don't know what to do. I can return it for a £50 charge, but my husband (non-vegan) loves the sofa and thinks I'm being ridiculous. I have emailed sofa.com just now asking for information on where they source their feathers, but, of course, ideally I just wouldn't choose feathers at all.

I'm quite new to being vegan and really go out of my way to try to avoid animal products in anything I use. I just can't believe I didn't think to check this and feel so angry at myself. All I wanted was to enjoy our new sofa!

What would you do? Would you return it?

Thanks in advance.
Recently moved into a second floor apartment (old Victorian house) while waiting for my condo to be built. I don't have tons of money to throw around, but I'm in a position where I need first-time furniture and don't want to invest in anything disposable. Anyways, I've been perusing the local used ads and came across a really lovely Ralph Lauren sofa from 2006. I saw it today and it was beautiful; a three-seater (rather large), made all of extremely soft, light brown wool, great depth, very casual, but filled completely with goose down. Should I be concerned? The sofa is obviously retaining its shape at this point, but I wonder if all that down will crumble in a few year's time? Cheers!