Need to go to Cracker Barrel-Vegan sausage

It's moral to harm yourself for short-term pleasure?
It is because you're not harming someone else. You can decide what you wanna do to your body. It is immoral when it comes to eating animals, they didn't decide to become dinner.
If I weren't vegan I'd be eating more unhealthy, like McDonald's

Last edited:
Eating unhealthily as a vegan is more irresponsible than immoral... but only to a degree. Too much vegan junk food can be "bad," but an occasional indulgence won't really do any damage. That said, I know I eat too much vegan junk food, but when I compare it to what I used to eat, I'm shocked at how much healthier it usually is than the non-vegan alternatives. I feel irresponsible, but not immoral, and I do my best to cut back. I'm doing my best to eat fruits and veggies and only once in a while have a "vegan chocolate bar" or a "vegan matcha shake." It's a process.

I don't know, but I'm guessing that vegan pizza is healthier than non-vegan pizza. non diary desserts and healthier than dairy desserts. Vegan hot dogs healthier than regular hot dogs

I'm willing to support anyone who decides to reduce, or eliminate, animal products from their diet for whatever reason.

If someone chooses to eat an Impossible Burger, instead of a Whopper, for environmental reasons; then the animals also get the benefit of that decision. If someone decides to go WFPB purely for health reasons; fewer animals are killed.

I've talked to a few omnivores, who are unwilling to remove animal products, and asked them if they could gradually reduce their consumption of animal products by 50%. They said they could add a meatless day every week, and then work up to three days a week later. They even have a name for it: Reducetarians.

I am in a dairy state. Dairy farms were everywhere. As I drive through the back roads, I see all the empty barns. I look at the small area of dairy milk and cream in the cooler, and then huge area of dozens of different kind of plant milks. There might be 5'or 6 producers of oat milk, and each of those have 2or 3 kinds of oatmilk. I see soy, rice, oat, almond, hazelnut, pea protein, hemp, and a few others.

And a great deal of that reduction is due to people cutting back on the animal products they consume.

Sometimes we are a little too hard on people.

Last edited:
Eating unhealthily as a vegan is more irresponsible than immoral... but only to a degree. Too much vegan junk food can be "bad," but an occasional indulgence won't really do any damage. That said, I know I eat too much vegan junk food, but when I compare it to what I used to eat, I'm shocked at how much healthier it usually is than the non-vegan alternatives. I feel irresponsible, but not immoral, and I do my best to cut back. I'm doing my best to eat fruits and veggies and only once in a while have a "vegan chocolate bar" or a "vegan matcha shake." It's a process.
People have been conditioned to believe that following a vegan diet is so risky if you don't follow all kinds of rules. Here in the US we have epidemics of very avoidable heart disease, high blood pressure, cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, arthritis, and all manner of digestive issues. Where is all the talk about the risks of being an omnivore? Oh, I left dangerously low potassium out--I've seen a few get taken away in ambulances and given IV's.
The reality is, a junk food diet, or any that leaves out whole families of food will be unhealthy.
I'd say it's the fringe diets, like raw, or keto, that need the most adherence

The way I see it is that I Must, as a vegan, eat a healthy diet. A shining example. A walking advertisement.
I wanna be that guy that people look at and want to emulate. Look he is so healthy - what does he eat?

Its like my own version of advocacy.

I guess it doesn't really work that way but like the old lady down the street used to say - It couldn't hurt.

that's a good reason but I don't want to live my life as a walking advertisement, I just wanna live my life and enjoy nice things
people might even see at as "yes, vegans are healthy but they must live such a strict lifestyle, I could never do that"...
it's not that people want to be unhealthy, they don't want to give up their favorite food.

Last edited:
People have been conditioned to believe that following a vegan diet is so risky if you don't follow all kinds of rules. Here in the US we have epidemics of very avoidable heart disease, high blood pressure, cholesterol, type 2 diabetes, arthritis, and all manner of digestive issues. Where is all the talk about the risks of being an omnivore? Oh, I left dangerously low potassium out--I've seen a few get taken away in ambulances and given IV's.
The reality is, a junk food diet, or any that leaves out whole families of food will be unhealthy.
I'd say it's the fringe diets, like raw, or keto, that need the most adherence
I'm not completely sure what you were responding to in my earlier post, but you seemed to be disagreeing with something. I don't disagree with anything that you said in your response. In any case, I must have been lucky to have had doctors who talked to me about how much meat I was eating or how much pop I was drinking. They made it clear to me that such things have unhealthy side effects and that I should, at the very least, cut down on meat and soda. Just last week, my latest doctor told me all about the benefits of a plant-based diet during a routine visit. I think the information is out there, but a lot of people choose to ignore it, or they don't have enough of a context to comprehend it. But I agree that usually people hear rumors or propaganda about being vegetarian or vegan, such as "you will never get enough protein," or "my cousin tried that and ended up feeling tired all of the time," without any extra information.

Reactions: Lou
@ Danielle, yep. no issue there except...
I think of all the people my age who have diabetes and heart disease, And still eat unhealthy -
is that just not wanting to give up their favorite foods or some defect.
At best short sightedness. At worst - addiction.

Of course, all things in moderation. including moderation.

Eating clean is not eating vegan. and eating vegan is not necessarily eating healthy. But if you remember Venn diagrams and imagine the two standard blue and red circles - there is a pretty big purple area in the middle.

Reactions: PTree15 and silva
I'm not completely sure what you were responding to in my earlier post, but you seemed to be disagreeing with something. I don't disagree with anything that you said in your response. In any case, I must have been lucky to have had doctors who talked to me about how much meat I was eating or how much pop I was drinking. They made it clear to me that such things have unhealthy side effects and that I should, at the very least, cut down on meat and soda. Just last week, my latest doctor told me all about the benefits of a plant-based diet during a routine visit. I think the information is out there, but a lot of people choose to ignore it, or they don't have enough of a context to comprehend it. But I agree that usually people hear rumors or propaganda about being vegetarian or vegan, such as "you will never get enough protein," or "my cousin tried that and ended up feeling tired all of the time," without any extra information.
I guess I put too much into it being specifically about needing to be stricter eating vegan than when on an omni diet.
I shouldn't have quoted your post really! Just meant to make the point in general, because we're always seeing the disclaimers of vegan diet lacking this and that nutrient if not strictly monitored. I'm not denying that either, just saying that goes for all diets!

The way I see it is that I Must, as a vegan, eat a healthy diet. A shining example. A walking advertisement.
I wanna be that guy that people look at and want to emulate. Look he is so healthy - what does he eat?

Its like my own version of advocacy.

I guess it doesn't really work that way but like the old lady down the street used to say - It couldn't hurt.
People will see what they want to see.
I avoid it because too many people DON"T want to eat a wfpb diet, but don't like the idea of using animals. They want food that is easily obtainable, affordable, good tasting, easy to prepare. Most that I know are far more interested by oatmilk ice creams and cashew dips than organic roasted veggies and bean dips no oil

• Agree
Reactions: Lou and Danielle
My husband went vegan last year because he said it is so easy these days with all the meat and dairy replacements that are available. I assume some people are like him.

I wouldn't try to sell the so-called "health" angle of a plant based diet as I don't think it is necessarily healthier. My father is type 2 diabetic and I heard he has practically reversed it on a low carb, mostly meat diet so you can change your health even if you eat animals.

In an age where the food industry has employed the smartest people in the world to manipulate vegans to think that they can consume food industry products 'in moderation' and be fine. The word vegan has been hijacked by the same entities harming animals.
You're missing everyone's point. You're equating veganism with some sort of health goal. It's about the animals, and not harming them or exploiting them. And not for nothing, the food industry has done a pretty good job of manipulating non-vegans into thinking they can eat processed food in moderation and be fine.

Most of us eat balanced plant based diets. I have oatmeal with plant milk for breakfast, green juice drink mid morning, a big salad for lunch, pb & j on locally baked wheat bread for snack, and lentil bolognese for dinner. But, occassionally, I like to indulge in a little cheat meal. A great big faux meat burger, deep fried French fries, and a serving of plant based ice cream. This might happen about twice a month.

As Joe Cross said, "If our diet is 90% healthy, our bodies can handle the other 10%".

I'm not close to a Cracker Barrel, but, when I'm travelling, I would welcome another vegan option.

It isn't an " all or nothing" healthy diet.

I've been doing this for 43 years, and I still love my cheat meals.
Yet the idea of 'balance' is tainted by industries that want to sell you more vegan junk foods and your own opinions based on things you like. How many whole plants does it take to balance vegan impossible meat anyway? Can you quantify? Do we rely on our own subjective feelings even though our perceptions of 'good' are horrifyingly malleable? Do we rely on anecdotes? George Burns smoked into his hundreds, so you should too?

The day's meals you listed are also likely riddled with hidden pitfalls that would skew true balance. Did your morning juice retain the fiber from the plant it came from? Inflammatory. Does the salad include salt and oils? Inflammatory. Sweetened jellies are immediately inflammatory. Sweeteners are also an independent risk factor for heart disease. Does the peanut butter have added oils? Crunchy or smooth? Smooth digests quicker and we all know about the glycemic index. Is the locally baked wheat bread made with refined flour? Inflammatory. Is the soup salted? Well, you know the drill...

You have an idea of balance with all the evidence of anecdotes, Oprah, and industry marketing. Even if you were meeting the 90/10 mark, would it be enough to add life to your years in meaningful ways? Would you know if you've been missing life in your past years when your habits have rendered everything normal? Have you been adding short-term pleasures when true happiness comes from within?

Yet the idea of 'balance' is tainted by industries that want to sell you more vegan junk foods and your own opinions based on things you like. How many whole plants does it take to balance vegan impossible meat anyway? Can you quantify? Do we rely on our own subjective feelings even though our perceptions of 'good' are horrifyingly malleable? Do we rely on anecdotes? George Burns smoked into his hundreds, so you should too?

The day's meals you listed are also likely riddled with hidden pitfalls that would skew true balance. Did your morning juice retain the fiber from the plant it came from? Inflammatory. Does the salad include salt and oils? Inflammatory. Sweetened jellies are immediately inflammatory. Sweeteners are also an independent risk factor for heart disease. Does the peanut butter have added oils? Crunchy or smooth? Smooth digests quicker and we all know about the glycemic index. Is the locally baked wheat bread made with refined flour? Inflammatory. Is the soup salted? Well, you know the drill...

You have an idea of balance with all the evidence of anecdotes, Oprah, and industry marketing. Even if you were meeting the 90/10 mark, would it be enough to add life to your years in meaningful ways? Would you know if you've been missing life in your past years when your habits have rendered everything normal? Have you been adding short-term pleasures when true happiness comes from within?
This thread is about Cracker Barrel adding vegan sausage to their menu.
You are sooo far off topic.
There are plenty of thread in this forum to discuss health, a thread about the proliferation of vegan foods in chain restaurants is not one of them.