Need to go to Cracker Barrel-Vegan sausage

There were a lot of weird comments from the Cracker Barrel crowd about the vegan sausage! :D I was at one on our Savannah trip and didn't see that on the menu though I wasn't looking at breakfast. My question is: what do I eat with my vegan sausage? I managed lunch by ordering off the sides menu.

There aren't any Cracker Barrrels near me. but if I'm ever on a road trip and pass one I'll stop in.

Although this might be some kind devious reverse marketing ploy.

True. It got the word out. Wouldn’t have heard about it otherwise. Nearest one is 1 1/2 hours away, but that’s good to know if my mom takes me there sometime. It’s been a few years. I can only eat a small side or two as a meal anyway so it would work for me.

I don’t get people. It’s not like Cracker Barrel took anything off the menu (to my knowledge). Just adding offerings to expand their customer base, which is good for business. But hey if someone is so hateful that they can’t handle sitting in the same restaurant with someone who eats vegan, then best that same person not even be there in the first place.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou and Chryssie
There aren't any Cracker Barrrels near me. but if I'm ever on a road trip and pass one I'll stop in.

Although this might be some kind devious reverse marketing ploy.

Run away! There's very little healthy going on with the impossible vegan meat alternatives: sure, it's great that you're not consuming an animal product, but you're still consuming something that's ultimately on a spectrum of inflammatory. The word vegan has been hijacked by food industry junk dealers. We need a better identity anyway: vegan inspires competition and the only person we need to compete with is ourselves.

There are Cracker Barrels all over down here! At least it is a bit better option now. I had been avoiding them for years.

Run away! There's very little healthy going on with the impossible vegan meat alternatives: sure, it's great that you're not consuming an animal product, but you're still consuming something that's ultimately on a spectrum of inflammatory. The word vegan has been hijacked by food industry junk dealers. We need a better identity anyway: vegan inspires competition and the only person we need to compete with is ourselves.
you seem to be confused 🙄
Vegan doesn't imply anything but the avoidance of animal products. If you're wfpb vegan just say it, don't try and disparage others with ethics who aren't

you seem to be confused 🙄
Vegan doesn't imply anything but the avoidance of animal products. If you're wfpb vegan just say it, don't try and disparage others with ethics who aren't
I didn't know there was controversy in saying vegan junk food is unhealthy. Disparagement implies disrespect; I respect anyone that moves toward plants as a habitual consumption and don't think I'm better than anyone else. It's understandable if someone's identity is wrapped up in a food they like but we need to be on the same page on what foods are harmful and what is healing. The only allegiance I have is to the Creator. To humility which seems to coincide with peasant foods. I'm here to collaborate and share some of the only reliable nutrition knowledge available.

I didn't know there was controversy in saying vegan junk food is unhealthy. Disparagement implies disrespect; I respect anyone that moves toward plants as a habitual consumption and don't think I'm better than anyone else. It's understandable if someone's identity is wrapped up in a food they like but we need to be on the same page on what foods are harmful and what is healing. The only allegiance I have is to the Creator. To humility which seems to coincide with peasant foods. I'm here to collaborate and share some of the only reliable nutrition knowledge available.
Vegan junk food is unhealthy, but not everyone's goal as a vegan is to eat healthier. They do it for moral reasons.

Reactions: PTree15 and Raven
Being vegan isn't about what, or how, you eat, it's about avoiding the use of animals as commodities.
I see much disrespect in judging vegans, and it's increasingly from people who call themselves vegan when they choose to only eat whole foods. Just look up comments on Lizzo being vegan. It is disgusting.
There are vegans who choose to eat for their own health just as like omnivores. There are many who eat wfpb who have nothing to do with being vegan
The only 'competition' I see here is your condemning vegan foods you don't deem healthy

I think you are confusing the term veganism with WFPB.

The definition of veganism by The Vegan Society, who originally came up with the term.

"Veganism is a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, humans and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."

It is up to each individual to decide if they want to eat junk food, or not, and regardless of which one is eaten, the focus of being vegan and not harming animals, will still be accomplished. Vegans, by their very nature research things, and if they want to eat some junk food, it's more than likely they know what is in it and if it's unhealthy or not and are making a decision based on what they feel is right for themselves.

Figuratively slapping junk food out of someone's hands is not helpful, and is what gives us the "ridiculous, crazy vegans" title.

It's moral to harm yourself for short-term pleasure?

Will we grow hair on our palms too? Sorry, I had to. 🙈

But, to answer your question, eating something unhealthy isn't immoral, an indulgence perhaps, but not immoral. As long as an animal wasn't harmed, yes, I will occasionally indulge in the short term pleasure of chocolate cake for breakfast, or a snack of french fries dripping with melted vegan cheese, or vegan ice cream with chocolate poured over the top and slathered in whip cream. Oops, got a little carried away, I may be a little hungry. :lick:

• Haha
Reactions: PTree15 and Brian W
I think you are confusing the term veganism with WFPB.

The definition of veganism by The Vegan Society, who originally came up with the term.

"Veganism is a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, humans and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."

It is up to each individual to decide if they want to eat junk food, or not, and regardless of which one is eaten, the focus of being vegan and not harming animals, will still be accomplished. Vegans, by their very nature research things, and if they want to eat some junk food, it's more than likely they know what is in it and if it's unhealthy or not and are making a decision based on what they feel is right for themselves.

Figuratively slapping junk food out of someone's hands is not helpful, and is what gives us the "ridiculous, crazy vegans" title.
I wouldn't slap a cigarette out of someone's hands either but if they belonged to a group of people trying to better themselves, I would share my concern for their improvement.

Nobody with the internet does 'research.' They are simply another person with the internet. You need a doctorate-level education with an army of similar people backing you up to do 'research.'

The definition you described is one of a few for vegans. It seems odd that this defined vegan would want to protect animals on moral values yet harm themselves because they looked on the internet a decided it was worth the risk. (Which, by the way, is called optimism bias. Everyone thinks they're going to beat the odds and tells themselves stories to continue doing something they know is harmful.)

In an age where the food industry has employed the smartest people in the world to manipulate vegans to think that they can consume food industry products 'in moderation' and be fine. The word vegan has been hijacked by the same entities harming animals.

This all comes back to pride. Ego to assume that an individual deserves short-term happiness at the expense of long-term health and those that care about them. Humility is at the root of protecting animals yet vegans just want to be right -- another form of pride -- and eat their cake too.

We need an anti-identity.

The internet wasn't even around when I became a vegetarian as a teenager, and the information on it was still very limited when I became a vegan. Yes, I'm that old, and still kicking, even though I was told I would die from lack of protein 40+ years ago. I'm very capable of eating a healthy balanced diet that includes junk food at times. My Dr's are always amazed at how great my blood work is, especially for my age. I've never looked to, or needed anyone else to validate my diet or lifestyle on the internet, or in real life.

Will we grow hair on our palms too? Sorry, I had to. 🙈

But, to answer your question, eating something unhealthy isn't immoral, an indulgence perhaps, but not immoral. As long as an animal wasn't harmed, yes, I will occasionally indulge in the short term pleasure of chocolate cake for breakfast, or a snack of french fries dripping with melted vegan cheese, or vegan ice cream with chocolate poured over the top and slathered in whip cream. Oops, got a little carried away, I may be a little hungry. :lick:
And this is normal. Normal for a brain with millions of years of survival programming that rewards us when we even look at a calorie-dense treat like vegan french fries or deep fried vegan oreos. And I would suggest that it should be normal: for celebrations. But does it cross into the territory of ego when we eat like this three times a day, every day? That you deserve that short-term happiness because it's normal?

Because there are also normal consequences to this habit. Vegans eating junk are risking the same things that conventional American eating habits risk.. Those risks implicate everyone. Including the animals you protect.

You can't be a humble defender of animals if you have heart disease from a habit of vegan junk.

And this is normal. Normal for a brain with millions of years of survival programming that rewards us when we even look at a calorie-dense treat like vegan french fries or deep fried vegan oreos. And I would suggest that it should be normal: for celebrations. But does it cross into the territory of ego when we eat like this three times a day, every day? That you deserve that short-term happiness because it's normal?

Because there are also normal consequences to this habit. Vegans eating junk are risking the same things that conventional American eating habits risk.. Those risks implicate everyone. Including the animals you protect.

You can't be a humble defender of animals if you have heart disease from a habit of vegan junk.

Most of us eat balanced plant based diets. I have oatmeal with plant milk for breakfast, green juice drink mid morning, a big salad for lunch, pb & j on locally baked wheat bread for snack, and lentil bolognese for dinner. But, occassionally, I like to indulge in a little cheat meal. A great big faux meat burger, deep fried French fries, and a serving of plant based ice cream. This might happen about twice a month.

As Joe Cross said, "If our diet is 90% healthy, our bodies can handle the other 10%".

I'm not close to a Cracker Barrel, but, when I'm travelling, I would welcome another vegan option.

It isn't an " all or nothing" healthy diet.

I've been doing this for 43 years, and I still love my cheat meals.

Last edited:

Where did I say I eat like that 3 times a day, or even once every day? I said occasionally, meaning every once in a while.

Common meals for a day: Breakfast - fresh fruit chopped up and mixed into some yogurt (sugar-free when I can find it), Lunch - large salad with a Good Seasons type dressing you make yourself and I replace most of the oil with water, Dinner - pasta with a tomato based sauce and a handful or two of spinach mixed in. I try to always have grapes around, they're great for an easy snack to grab, and some days I will grab a square or two of dark chocolate.