Need to go to Cracker Barrel-Vegan sausage

Where did I say I eat like that 3 times a day, or even once every day? I said occasionally, meaning every once in a while.

Common meals for a day: Breakfast - fresh fruit chopped up and mixed into some yogurt (sugar-free when I can find it), Lunch - large salad with a Good Seasons type dressing you make yourself and I replace most of the oil with water, Dinner - pasta with a tomato based sauce and a handful or two of spinach mixed in. I try to always have grapes around, they're great for an easy snack to grab, and some days I will grab a square or two of dark chocolate.
First, the yogurt: commercial yogurts are allowed to say they contain probiotics without being fermented. And likely when they remove the sugar, they replace it with saturated fat to compete with all the other bliss-point yogurts. Inflammatory. There are probiotics living on produce.

I'm not familiar with Good Seasons, but do they season with salt? Inflammatory. It's good you're replacing oil.

Is the pasta made with refined flour? Inflammatory.

Is the dark chocolate under 100% cacao? Inflammatory. Stick with unalkalized cacao powder.

Manufactured food is incredibly difficult to find where it's actually healthy. Because they're competing with other bliss-point products. Please keep up the whole plant habits you have and move towards more of them! =)

This thread is about Cracker Barrel adding vegan sausage to their menu.
You are sooo far off topic.
There are plenty of thread in this forum to discuss health, a thread about the proliferation of vegan foods in chain restaurants is not one of them.
And yet the proliferation of unhealthy vegans affects all of us whether you lock your doors at night or not.

You're missing everyone's point. You're equating veganism with some sort of health goal. It's about the animals, and not harming them or exploiting them. And not for nothing, the food industry has done a pretty good job of manipulating non-vegans into thinking they can eat processed food in moderation and be fine.
And how does the humble vegan stand up for animals when they've had a lifetime of ego-driven pleasure-seeking in the foods they eat and then develop heart disease like every other American?

Happiness comes from within. There's no humility in dying painfully from preventable habits. This affects all of us including animals.

The internet wasn't even around when I became a vegetarian as a teenager, and the information on it was still very limited when I became a vegan. Yes, I'm that old, and still kicking, even though I was told I would die from lack of protein 40+ years ago. I'm very capable of eating a healthy balanced diet that includes junk food at times. My Dr's are always amazed at how great my blood work is, especially for my age. I've never looked to, or needed anyone else to validate my diet or lifestyle on the internet, or in real life.
"I'm still alive despite my habits" is not evidence of the way people should live. There are fundamental truths and nobody is a special snowflake. How do you even tell what life you've been missing in your years when your perception of reality adapts to your habits? You hear the same things coming from people eating 3lbs of bacon every day. How would they know any better? And having great blood work in America isn't saying anything either: going to the doctor is the 4th leading cause of death. They're only there to keep you alive and extend the morbidity phase of life.

That's not adding life to years.

I think you are confusing the term veganism with WFPB.

The definition of veganism by The Vegan Society, who originally came up with the term.

"Veganism is a philosophy and way of living which seeks to exclude—as far as is possible and practicable—all forms of exploitation of, and cruelty to, animals for food, clothing or any other purpose; and by extension, promotes the development and use of animal-free alternatives for the benefit of animals, humans and the environment. In dietary terms it denotes the practice of dispensing with all products derived wholly or partly from animals."

It is up to each individual to decide if they want to eat junk food, or not, and regardless of which one is eaten, the focus of being vegan and not harming animals, will still be accomplished. Vegans, by their very nature research things, and if they want to eat some junk food, it's more than likely they know what is in it and if it's unhealthy or not and are making a decision based on what they feel is right for themselves.

Figuratively slapping junk food out of someone's hands is not helpful, and is what gives us the "ridiculous, crazy vegans" title.
Calling yourself a vegan inspires competition. You pile on the ego every time you tell yourself you deserve a manufactured vegan treat.

The tribe, title, and identity is fundamentally ridiculous. Try some humility. Eat like a peasant. You'll start to notice life adding back to your years.

And how does the humble vegan stand up for animals when they've had a lifetime of ego-driven pleasure-seeking in the foods they eat and then develop heart disease like every other American?

Happiness comes from within. There's no humility in dying painfully from preventable habits. This affects all of us including animals.
What's causing you to be such a OCD .....? Seems maybe your diet is missing something... You can't seem to discern what's appropriate, and what's not
Your rhetoric is just the kind that drives people from wanting to converse about plant foods, or wanting to make over their diets to vegan 🙄

Exploitation has to do with having informed consent.
Veganism has to do with ethics not morality
And marketers are counting on you to think you're immune to their manipulations and counting on you thinking you're informed. The smartest people in the world are employed to make sure you don't know they exist. Macroeconomists can predict your behaviors a decade before you plan them and you think you have free will?

It's ethical to adopt a tribal name that tells everyone around you that you're better than they are? It's ethical to "moderately" consume vegan junk foods and clog up the American sickcare system with all the other non-vegan moderate junk food consumers? Your dwindling life affects everyone and every animal around you. And you'll never know it's dwindling until you're in the hospital with a disease all the non-vegans are getting too.

There are plenty of thread in this forum to discuss health, a thread about the proliferation of vegan foods in chain restaurants is not one of them.
Yet your health affects me, everyone else around you, and the animals you so want to ethically protect.

If you want to be ethical, drop the title and eat like a peasant.

And marketers are counting on you to think you're immune to their manipulations and counting on you thinking you're informed. The smartest people in the world are employed to make sure you don't know they exist. Macroeconomists can predict your behaviors a decade before you plan them and you think you have free will?

It's ethical to adopt a tribal name that tells everyone around you that you're better than they are? It's ethical to "moderately" consume vegan junk foods and clog up the American sickcare system with all the other non-vegan moderate junk food consumers? Your dwindling life affects everyone and every animal around you. And you'll never know it's dwindling until you're in the hospital with a disease all the non-vegans are getting too.
Yeah and you might get hit by a truck
You'll probably be the first one I've put on ignore and truly ignore :laughing:
I mostly do care because it's those like you that drive people from veganism, as well simply plant based diets

Yeah and you might get hit by a truck
You'll probably be the first one I've put on ignore and truly ignore :laughing:
I mostly do care because it's those like you that drive people from veganism, as well simply plant based diets
And those like you that drive up my health insurance.

People can function in all manner of health or ill health. Just because one may suffer from an illness or disease does not mean they can't stand up for the animals or for any other cause they deem important. There are countless ways to support a cause that don't require physical activity.

Yes, we'd all love to be as healthy as we can be, but what we eat is just one part of overall health. Genetics,. environment and mental health all play a role as well. If you're averse to pleasure and into depriving yourself, that's fine. But not everyone rolls that way. And those people can still fight for the animals just fine.

• Love
Reactions: shyvas
Yes, we'd all love to be as healthy as we can be, but what we eat is just one part of overall health. Genetics,. environment and mental health all play a role as well. If you're averse to pleasure and into depriving yourself, that's fine. But not everyone rolls that way. And those people can still fight for the animals just fine.

One may also include smoking, alcohol and drugs. Many doctors also say that some illnesses are just due to bad luck.

Reactions: PTree15
Yet the idea of 'balance' is tainted by industries that want to sell you more vegan junk foods and your own opinions based on things you like. How many whole plants does it take to balance vegan impossible meat anyway? Can you quantify? Do we rely on our own subjective feelings even though our perceptions of 'good' are horrifyingly malleable? Do we rely on anecdotes? George Burns smoked into his hundreds, so you should too?

The day's meals you listed are also likely riddled with hidden pitfalls that would skew true balance. Did your morning juice retain the fiber from the plant it came from? Inflammatory. Does the salad include salt and oils? Inflammatory. Sweetened jellies are immediately inflammatory. Sweeteners are also an independent risk factor for heart disease. Does the peanut butter have added oils? Crunchy or smooth? Smooth digests quicker and we all know about the glycemic index. Is the locally baked wheat bread made with refined flour? Inflammatory. Is the soup salted? Well, you know the drill...

You have an idea of balance with all the evidence of anecdotes, Oprah, and industry marketing. Even if you were meeting the 90/10 mark, would it be enough to add life to your years in meaningful ways? Would you know if you've been missing life in your past years when your habits have rendered everything normal? Have you been adding short-term pleasures when true happiness comes from within?

You are talking to a 68 year old woman, who has been Vegan for 43 years. I am on NO medications, have a BP of 114/78, no arthritis, and have.
a full head of my original color hair. I don't need a walker or a cane. I have almost all of my original teeth. I see a doctor once a year, and am told that everything looks fine. I have never had cancer, no surgeries, and have never been overnight in a hospital since early childhood. (except for births).

I think that I know about good health, because I am the living embodiment of good health.

Lighten up a little. That is proper "balance".

You are talking to a 68 year old woman, who has been Vegan for 43 years. I am on NO medications, have a BP of 114/78, no arthritis, and have.
a full head of my original color hair. I don't need a walker or a cane. I have almost all of my original teeth. I see a doctor once a year, and am told that everything looks fine. I have never had cancer, no surgeries, and have never been overnight in a hospital since early childhood. (except for births).

I think that I know about good health, because I am the living embodiment of good health.

Lighten up a little. That is proper "balance".
And George Burns lived past 100 smoking cigars. So everyone should be fine smoking cigars every day?

Do you consider yourself a humble person?

I've come to understand that there's a deeper and much darker issue here. Pride. Americans have this deep-seated need to be on a side and be right. About everything. Their experience trumps objective truth and there's nothing that can be said to break them of this norm. Normal is fundamentally broken on countless levels.

People can function in all manner of health or ill health. Just because one may suffer from an illness or disease does not mean they can't stand up for the animals or for any other cause they deem important. There are countless ways to support a cause that don't require physical activity.

And we all tell ourselves stories to justify behavior deep down we know is harmful -- it's called optimism bias.

Yet there are always objective truths based on evolving understanding. Wanting to be healthy and wanting to be right can't coexist. Pride and humility are at odds there.

I would never be averse to pleasure and never tell anyone to avoid pleasure. We should revel in it; during celebrations. Trouble is, marketers have been nudging us towards prideful indulgences for a long time no matter what allegiance you've adopted. And now it's normal to indulge three meals a day and call it 'balanced' with a straight face. Because nobody knows any better. And consumers have been begging for more with their dollars.

Pride in the habits. Pride in the name. Only humility will save people, though. Only humility will save animals.

• Disagree
And George Burns lived past 100 smoking cigars. So everyone should be fine smoking cigars every day?

Do you consider yourself a humble person?

I've come to understand that there's a deeper and much darker issue here. Pride. Americans have this deep-seated need to be on a side and be right. About everything. Their experience trumps objective truth and there's nothing that can be said to break them of this norm. Normal is fundamentally broken on countless levels.

So which is it? Are you a humble person? Or are you right about everything? Would you even know if you were missing life from your years if the baseline for your perception of normal is always adapting?

I think you need to look in the mirror and ask those questions.

Well... that didn't work.

MOD POST

We're way off topic here. If you wish to continue the above discussion (excluding any personal attacks) concerning health & veganism, please start a thread in the following forum. Thank you.