Natto

I cannot get over the idea that someone who was brought up with American cuisine doesn't find natto shocking, bizarre or that different! The only food it resembles to me is hot dogs that have rotted for a very, very long time. I use them as the comparison because I had it happen in the back of a fridge, in a zipolock bag, and that picture has never left my mind!
I keep wanting to try it again though, I have this idea it's like nutrition magic!

• Haha
Reactions: Raven
Right and some people don't have a choice, like when they're traveling in Japan. And you really aren't paying for the tiny packets of seasoning but the natto itself. Vegan as long as its practical and practicable.
I would hope it is possible to be fully vegan in Japan.
I was looking up pics of Natto I thought it looked yum, bf thought it was the grossest thing ever lol

I just thought that I saw Cheap Lazy Vegan (I think it was) eat natto the other day. OMG, it looked like it was covered in lots of snail slime.:lala::yuck:

Warning - Japanese brands of natto are not always vegan

Per the video below, the bacteria used to make natto is sometimes grown on animal parts.
The only way to know if a particular Japanese brand is vegan or not is to call the company and ask them what the bacteria is grown on.
If you don't speak Japanese you are out of luck.

This is disappointing. American made natto in my area is $5.50 for a 3.5oz serving, whereas ordinary Japanese natto is only $1 for 3.5oz serving.
The difference between a staple food and a luxury food.

Reactions: bEt
I had raw coriander (cilantro) recently and I thought it tasted like soap. It didn't used to taste like that to me.

I did do a parasite cleanse this year and last so I was wondering if that changed my taste buds.

It's like okra, that goes all slimy too! It puts me off.
I know an older lady who used to love cilantro but after she had chemotherapy it didn't taste the same and now she avoids it.

• Informative
  • Friendly
Reactions: Raven and KLS52
I cannot get over the idea that someone who was brought up with American cuisine doesn't find natto shocking, bizarre or that different! The only food it resembles to me is hot dogs that have rotted for a very, very long time. I use them as the comparison because I had it happen in the back of a fridge, in a zipolock bag, and that picture has never left my mind!
I keep wanting to try it again though, I have this idea it's like nutrition magic!
There was someone called Natto Dad I found online once who writes about making your own natto. A lot of people wrote to him for help because they couldn't get their natto to grow sticky and stringy enough.

After a brief convo in another thread, I decided to try natto!

I honestly did not find it that bizarre or shocking or different.

I did, however, buy an organic brand from the co-op - maybe the quality was just good?

I also loosely followed instructions on how to eat vegan natto on a couple different websites.

First, I put on a pot of sticky rice, and allowed that steam.

Then I opened the natto, removed the plastic and stirred it about 50 times (this is supposed to make the texture more appetizing).

When the rice was done, I topped it with the stirred natto.

I added a splash of tamari (or you can use soy sauce), sesame oil, and since I didn't have Japanese mustard I used the closest thing: Annie's horseradish mustard.

After tasting, I realized I had added a little too much mustard, so added a little more sesame oil and a couple more splashes of tamari.

Then I topped it with fresh scallions.

I found it very good and very satisfying, with a subtle creamy flavor when combined with the rice and condiments. A nice umami, filling breakfast.

So what is the big deal?

I think people with a strong aversion to "sticky"textures or people who hate the smell of cheese might not respond well. As someone who used to love cheese, the smell didn't strike me as especially strong or stinky.

Then again, I also prepared the natto according to real Japanese advice, and used an organic brand. *shrug*
You did everything right. Natto will keep very well in the fridge for a week or so but it’s better fresh of course.
We are a very “natto” family and enjoy it on toast, in miso soup and on spaghetti. Just the same as you prepared yours and just plopped on.

Reactions: bEt
I know an older lady who used to love cilantro but after she had chemotherapy it didn't taste the same and now she avoids it.
I think it is because I have had Covid several times and it has changed my taste buds. :eek:

• Wow
Reactions: Emma JC