My crazy hoarder boss is at it again-what should I do.

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Some background - She is 70 years old and collects animals because she says she is lonely. They have food, water and shelter, but no attention and only occasional vet care. Right now she is down to 21 assorted dogs, parrots and farm animals.

I found a good home for two of her parrots, they were picked up this morning. This afternoon she told me she is already looking for another one, she still has three other parrots. One of the birds that was just adopted had a badly overgrown beak and nails and was missing a lot of feathers. Another one has a bare patch on his chest and she screams at them to shut up when they make noise. It just makes me so sad to think of another one ending up like these, nothing more than a back room decoration.

I don't know how to dissuade her from getting anymore. I thought about mentioning her age, and telling her it's unfair to get more, knowing they will just have to be re-homed when she gets a little older. Not sure how that will go over though, she has told me she is very sensitive about her age and it upsets her to think about it.

Should I contact all the local bird rescues and ask them not to adopt to her? Will they do that without telling her? Right now she is looking on craigslist and petfinder, don't know how I can block that. Since she is looking for a certain type, should I contact the people selling them and ask them not to sell to her?

On top of everything else, the bird she is looking at getting is $400-$500 and she says that's inexpensive. Yet, she constantly (as in daily) complains that she doesn't have any money, not even $5 to get a new tarp for shade for some of the dogs.

I swear she is going to give me a nervous breakdown.

I would contact all the rescues. And if she's not providing proper shelter, I would report her to the authorities.

Other than having a few dogs over the limit, she is providing everything required by our very lacking laws. :(
I'll contact the rescues first thing in the morning.

You're in a tough situation with her - she obviously has a real hoarder mentality, and it's practically impossible to protect animals from them.

Just "a few" dogs over the limit? Are you in rural area?
What is the condition on her home? With that many animals, esp. at her age, I would guess it could violate ordiances.
What do you for her as your employer?

I know the rescues around my area definitely keep lists of who to watch for, I believe petfinder has that option. I would certainly contact them.

Yes, we are in a very rural area and she has a few acres, so she's allowed to have quite a number of animals. Animal control could make her get rid of a couple of dogs, but that's it. The rest are within the number allowed. I actually live on the property and take care of the animals.

I've already contacted a few places/people.

I don't know what to do in this situation because I've never been in it (and the closest I've been to it actually involved me stealing like five caterpillars) but I hope you can get it resolved. :( It makes me sad to hear about these guys.

I've been joking by calling her crazy, but I'm starting to think she really is. She says she's depressed and has anxiety, but I think there is a lot more going on, maybe some dementia?

The other day she was talking about how she thinks the people who she give the birds to had been conspiring to get them from her, and how she fell right into their trap. Now she's never going to re-home another animal, because she can't trust anyone, so she is just going to put them down when she can no longer care for them. She said she'd rather see them dead, than in another home.

Lately she's really been saying a lot of paranoid/conspiracy type stuff where everyone is out to get her. She walks around crying a lot of the time, because she says she can't trust anyone anymore and thinks she was tricked out of her birds. I wish I could talk to her kids about possibly having her evaluated, but I don't know them that well. Just what she's told me about them, which is that they all steal from and use her. I have no idea if any of that is true or just her being paranoid.

Ungf. Bad situation for you, even worse situation for her animals. Is there a county social worker or other person who deals with people, especially elderly people, who are slipping into dementia or having mental illness issues that affect their safety or the safety of those around them?

Right now I have a friend getting advice from a lawyer regarding the animals. I have very little doubt that she will put them all to sleep if she is reported to any sort of agency. So, she's checking if I have any legal rights to prevent her from doing that.

Reactions: thefadedone
How would she have the animals put down? If it's at a certain vet, can you contact them and let them know that if she brings any animals up there to not put them down? I don't want to say "trick" her but if she absolutely insists on it happening, can they lie to her and say that they did it but then keep the animal for you or someone else to pick up so it can go to a rescue? (if that makes sense)

Someone higher up really needs to intervene somehow, whether it's a group effort of the SPCA and local social workers to help out the animals and her. I feel really bad for her, and I wish her family were able to help out (if indeed she wasn't truthful about the stealing/using part).

Personally I would "trick" her. I have no problem with deception if it serves a greater purpose for good, such as saving the lives of these animals.

Either way I really hope that this can be worked out, it sounds like such a dangerous and messy situation.

Is there any way you can find out what medications she is on? Sometimes behavior like this can be due to something she's been prescribed. A visit to a pharmacist with the list of her medications is free.

Is there any way you can find out what medications she is on? Sometimes behavior like this can be due to something she's been prescribed. A visit to a pharmacist with the list of her medications is free.

This did cross my mind when she said she takes a lot of medication. I'm not sure how I would find out exactly what she's taking though. She did mention that one of them is a tranquilizer.

I think I will take a chance and give her son a call when he gets back into town and see what he says about her behavior. I was given his number in case of an emergency.

At least she's calmed down a little bit tonight, the guy who adopted her birds, sent her some pictures.

It's extremely important that she has given someone Power of Attorney for when she's deemed unable to make her own decisions! There are two kinds, I believe the long term one is called a "durable" power of attorney. The ones filled out in ERs are only temporary.
My mother developed health issues quite suddenly which led to increased dementia. She was deemed incompetent and I had to go through the guardianship process. Horrible, time consuming, and every penny she saved was counted and controlled by the court, and I had to do it.
In my state it also means whatever assets and property is in her name for the past five years is subject to be taken if she ever has to qualify for medicaid.
If you speak to her children this is worth bringing up.