Multi Cooker-Tips & Recipes

breaking noodles? a heresy :fsm:

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com
the thing is that you can't stir the noodles while they are in the IP. So they could clump together. so the workaround is to break them and then arrange them in a criss cross manner.

A lot of the recipes that are similar to this solve the problem by just using short noodles. I think that might be the way to do.

supposedly an advantage to cooking pasta in the IP (besides the set and forget thing) is that you don't drain the pasta so there are no nutrients going down the drain.

Reactions: Emma JC
I would like to delete that link!
Break spaghetti, pour a jar of sauce on top, add water to jar and shake, then pour over, add more water as needed to cover noodles,.
If you're using meatless meetballs put in pot first, then spaghetti.
Of course this is for any pasta.

Dry pasta IP time is half the direction time, minus a minute if you like al dente. Round down. NPR

I try and get to the pot just before it gets to pressure to stir it a bit, but mostly don't have sticking.

You do get far more starch this way of course, since you don't drain

I love the act of cooking pasta in a boiling pot of water, it is all part of the delicious meal that I know will ensue and so to do it in an iPot would take away a lot of the pleasure.

Emma JC

I love the act of cooking pasta in a boiling pot of water, it is all part of the delicious meal that I know will ensue and so to do it in an iPot would take away a lot of the pleasure.

Emma JC
That's true. and ever since I learned the wooden spoon trick, I don't have to watch the pot.
But I still want to try pasta in the IP.

• Friendly
That's true. and ever since I learned the wooden spoon trick, I don't have to watch the pot.
But I still want to try pasta in the IP.
Hey Lou,could you please share what the wooden spoon trick is?

The first one says hype. The second says it works. 🤷🏻‍♀️
I’ve tried it and had it fail. This is my first time having an electric stove and it was really hard getting used to. What I did was to make a lot of mental notes as to where to put the dial after the water boils and the pasta is in the pot. I start out on high then once the pot comes to its second boil, I can safely reduce the heat to 5-6 and still have a good boil without it going over.

Cooking dishes that require a slow simmer are harder for me. It’s never low enough heat to keep a bubble or two finding their way outside of the pot and onto the stove top, like pasta sauce.

I try to use an extra large pot when cooking anything that might make a mess. That seems the more sensible thing. But since moving and down sizing, I gave away my really big farberware pots. My largest pot barely fits a pound of pasta so if I’m cooking the whole pound I stay close by to prevent any boil overs.

• Informative
Reactions: 1956
I think it works. I think it worked in the first video too. I also thought the first video was kind of dumb. he had two identical pots but didn't show one boiling over under identical conditions.

When my pots and pans were getting worn out I replaced them with a set I bought on the internet. I got a little duped by the sizes the pots came in (my fault - I should have studied the ad more closely). Since then I have added individual pots and pans as I needed but I never replaced the big soup pot because I have the instant pot.

I like to cook just a half pound of pasta in my biggest pot. And I found that putting it on med hi with the wooden spoon means I don't have to pay any attention to it.

Reactions: 1956 and KLS52
Soy yogurt has become a real staple for me since IP. I mostly use it to make condiment things, as well as dessert

You need a plain soy beverage--with only soy beans and water as ingredients. I find Trader Joes shelf stable quarts or Westsoy which I find at Walmart in 2 quart shelf stable boxes

A probiotic that's at least 50 billion. I use one of these per quart-

empty a bit of the soy milk in a glass container. you can either distribute in jars or a glass bowl. I like to rinse with boiling water to be sure it's clean and let cool before I begin. Empty the capsule in the soy milk and shake really well. By removing some of the soy milk first make it easier to shake well. Pour in the container and place right in the IP pot, no rack or water needed. You can use a plate to cover.
Set to medium yogurt setting (default)and let culture 8 hours or more. It will count the time up, so I leave it set at 13 hours, but take out around 11 or 12. I havent' noticed a big difference in adding more time.

Do not stir when you remove the container! Just set in fridge until throughly chilled. Stirring while warm makes it turn liquidy.
You can strain after chilling. I use a paper towel lined in a wire mesh colander.

You can use IP to proof yeast dough if you have a yogurt setting.
I lightly oil the pot and set to LOW yogurt setting
Cover with something loose, do not seal the lid as the dough can really get high and hard to remove the lid!

The low yogurt setting is also great for fermenting things like cashew cheese

Reactions: Lou and KLS52
I made a black bean soup last night. First time I did it. But something is wrong with its flavor. My paprika was really old ( I finished it and put it on my shopping list). I wonder if that was it.
or maybe its one of those things that taste better reheated.
I think from now on I'll just make the Cuban black beans.

For bean soups I think I still like split pea best.

I made a black bean soup last night. First time I did it. But something is wrong with its flavor. My paprika was really old ( I finished it and put it on my shopping list). I wonder if that was it.
or maybe its one of those things that taste better reheated.
I think from now on I'll just make the Cuban black beans.

For bean soups I think I still like split pea best.
I have some pretty old spices that I use with no issue, but paprika does go "off"!
Bean soups do often taste better the next day. I've learned to add minimal seasoning to things I don't regularly make so I can experiment in small bowls.

Have you tried Trader joes cuban seasoning? I had it on my list but they didn't have any

I have some pretty old spices that I use with no issue, but paprika does go "off"!
Bean soups do often taste better the next day. I've learned to add minimal seasoning to things I don't regularly make so I can experiment in small bowls.

Have you tried Trader joes cuban seasoning? I had it on my list but they didn't have any
I haven't. I wasn't going to get it but now that you mention it I should get it. I bet it would be good in the cuban black beans. Might even rescue this black bean soup recipe

I'm going to get up early tomorrow and hit Trader Joes!. My frig and pantry are both pretty full but I have a long enough list of little things to make it worthwhile.

I made chili a bit differently and it's my favorite!
2 cups total dry beans
5 cups water
set at 3 min and let sit an hour or more (or let soad overnight- I didn't plan)
Add chopped onions, celery, peppers and 1/2 cup red lentils (not needed, but thickens)
Season with chili powders and cayenne, I added a couple vegan no beef boullion cubes
set for 11 minutes and npr
Add a package of Trader Joes soy chorizo

I didn't want the tomatoes

Reactions: Lou and KLS52
I made chili a bit differently and it's my favorite!
2 cups total dry beans
5 cups water
set at 3 min and let sit an hour or more (or let soad overnight- I didn't plan)
Add chopped onions, celery, peppers and 1/2 cup red lentils (not needed, but thickens)
Season with chili powders and cayenne, I added a couple vegan no beef boullion cubes
set for 11 minutes and npr
Add a package of Trader Joes soy chorizo

I didn't want the tomatoes

interesting, so you didn't rinse the beans after soaking them? I have discovered the fart way that I am better off rinsing dry beans before soaking and then rinsing them again after soaking and before cooking

Emma JC

Reactions: KLS52
interesting, so you didn't rinse the beans after soaking them? I have discovered the fart way that I am better off rinsing dry beans before soaking and then rinsing them again after soaking and before cooking

Emma JC
No, beans have never given me bad gas, and not stinky. Veggies will do that!
Soaking and rinsing reduce phytates, which aren't bad-

I love Instant Pot, and now it's time to compile recipes, tips and tricks in one place.

I'm going to start with my simple chili, and how I time it without soaked beans, and without over cooking the veggies

I use different beans, and red lentils in a 3:1 ratio of beans and red lentils, with twice the water.
The beans and all the water go in first for 2 minutes of high pressure. Just leave alone for like an hour, the longer it sits, the more they'll soften.
Unlock the lid, add whatever spices you like in chili. I use about 2 Tblsp crushed red pepper, 1 teas liquid smoke, and if lucky enough to have Penzeys chili 3000, a Tblsp. A heaping Tblsp of Better than Boullion no beef or marmite, or whatever broth seasoning you like
Add the red lentils, onions, celery, and if you like other chopped veggies
Cover and set for 5 minutes and let natural release. Add a big can, or little can, of chopped tomatoes

My typical recipe-
1/2 cup red beans
1/2 cup pintos
1/2 cup black beans
4 cups water
2 minutes and rest

1/2 cup red lentils spices and veggies
5 minutes and npr
canned diced tomatoes and chilis
Thank you for sharing. Its' niece to make homemade meals and it is not difficult to do so. Much healthier than buying
processed packaged foods. I always SOAK my beans/lentils for many hours before rinsing and cooking. I understand
the insta pots make cooking faster, but I like soaking. I also add several cups of vegetables in my stews/chili's, such
as carrots, celery, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, zucchini, cabbage. cheers.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52