TV & Film Movie Lounge

Ok I saw another remake today but this one was much more fun! The new Jumanji was pretty hilarious! Though I have the original on VHS and watched it with the kids and grand kids numerous times, I really don't remember much of it. This one with Dwayne Johnson, Jack Black, and Kevin Hart, (and some other people I didn't recognize) was quite enjoyable. I laughed out loud a couple times.

Reactions: PTree15
Uh-oh.

The racists and misogynists are going to go bonkers over this.

I think that it's quite funny really. As the Bond films have always been absurd, then why not have a black female playing Ian Fleming's fictional spy who should really have been killed off a few decades ago at the end of the Cold War? As Bond was educated at Eton and Fettes, I wonder what background his female reincarnation will have? For the sake of balance the principal villains should also be female and there are plenty of prominent political role models to choose from.

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to seeing a re-make of Shaft starring Scarlett Johansson.

I watched a scary movie this evening. It is called Life and was released in 2017 starring Jake Gylllenhaal, Ryan Reynolds, and Rebecca Ferguson. It was "Alien light" so to speak. But I did jump and say "Oh ****!" and other things a few times! It was not a total bomb for a movie that wasn't exactly a new idea. There was a bit of a twist at the end which was cool.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I watched a scary movie this evening. It is called Life and was released in 2017 starring Jake Gylllenhaal, Ryan Reynolds, and Rebecca Ferguson. It was "Alien light" so to speak. But I did jump and say "Oh ****!" and other things a few times! It was not a total bomb for a movie that wasn't exactly a new idea. There was a bit of a twist at the end which was cool.
I watched a trailer,- looks interesting. I might watch the movie later, thanks!👽

Reactions: Chryssie
Oskar Schindler is a vainglorious and greedy German businessman who becomes an unlikely humanitarian amid the
barbaric German Nazi reign when he feels compelled to turn his factory into a refuge for Jews. Based on the true story of Oskar Schindler who managed to save about 1100 Jews from being gassed at the Auschwitz concentration camp, it is a testament to the good in all of us.

I saw this film during my stay in the UK. The story is both heartbreaking and heartwarming. I was deeply touched by the short video at the end of the film showing the real survivors of the story.

Liam's acting is brilliant as usual. 💕

I think that it's quite funny really. As the Bond films have always been absurd, then why not have a black female playing Ian Fleming's fictional spy who should really have been killed off a few decades ago at the end of the Cold War? As Bond was educated at Eton and Fettes, I wonder what background his female reincarnation will have? For the sake of balance the principal villains should also be female and there are plenty of prominent political role models to choose from.

Meanwhile I'm looking forward to seeing a re-make of Shaft starring Scarlett Johansson.
If you read the article, you would see that the "007" designation has been assigned to a different agent, the original 007 having retired.

But I'm sure people will nevertheless have a problem with it.

I have never been a fan of the Bond franchise though I did read a few of the books when I was a teen. I think I may have seen a couple of the early films with Sean Connery. Even way back then, I found them a bit (!) misogynistic.
I think changing things up is needed!

I have never been a fan of the Bond franchise though I did read a few of the books when I was a teen. I think I may have seen a couple of the early films with Sean Connery. Even way back then, I found them a bit (!) misogynistic.
I think changing things up is needed!
The only movie from the Bond franchise that i absolutely adore, is "The living daylights". The plot, scenery, characters, music(!) and everything is great. And Timothy Dalton is a beauty! He's an outstanding actor, and a very handsome guy!😍

My favorite Bond was Roger Moore. I was not a fan of the others, even the original, Sean Connery. I loved Roger.

Schindler’s List was a great movie.

Reactions: Val
Oh, I am likely a diehard Bond fan, having been introduced to the series early by my father.

He considered it his patriarchical duty to make sure that the first Bond movie I watched should be one of the RIGHT ones, with Sean Connery.
(That is actually one of two "patriarchal duties" I remember my father correctly fulfilling, guess that is still better than nothing. In most other aspects of my life - e.g. that I consider myself to be compassionate and honest - I developed the way I did because he acted as a bad example and I wanted to be different ;) )

So when "Dr. No" came again to the big screen, he took me there - I remember that we were both afraid that the conductor would demand to see my ID, as I was only 11 years old at the time, and it was restricted to audiences above 12. However, contrary to my father, I still watched all of the later movies with David Niven, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton, Pierce Brosnan and Daniel Craig. I liked most of them for different reasons, understanding that any Bond movie has to be totally unrealistic and over-the-top :)

And I will, of course, also watch the one with Lashana Lynch, am already looking forward to it!

My favorite Bond was Roger Moore. I was not a fan of the others, even the original, Sean Connery. I loved Roger.

Schindler’s List was a great movie.
I loved Sean Connery and I enjoyed the Daniel Craig version as well. Roger Moore was solid, too. I have yet to see Schindler's List, especially since I love Liam Neeson. I should watch it, but I find the subject matter so depressing.

Have watched some very good older movies recently.

“The Railway Man” with Colin Firth and Nicole Kidman
“City of Gods”, a Brazilian movie with largely amateur actors about gang violence
“Fahrenheit 11/9” by Michael Moore
I've not heard of "The Railway Man," but I think I will check it out as I'm a big Colin Firth fan.

Reactions: Val