Health Issues Mosquitoes

shyvas

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Other
Since the last few years my neighbourhood is invaded by mosquitoes - fierce, hungry ones. This Summer is the worst on record as we also have tiger mosquitoes. I have also noticed that there are nests of them in one of the bay leaf bushes in the garden.

I don't have mosquito screens on my windows and have tried using natural repellents ( I don't care for chemical sprays because of Shyva) such as lemon grass. All this is in vain as I am regularly attacked and bitten during the course of day and especially in the evening. My legs and arms are covered in bites and I'm itching all over.

I wonder whether there are any other natural methods of keeping these montsers at bay ?

Last edited:
Mosquito nets all the way, plus repellent spray.

While I have a positive disposition towards most animals, mosquitoes who invade my home and try to suck my or my family members blood, will not be embraced. (especially as my wife and kids are allergic to them and get huge blisters when stung)

Mosquito nets all the way.

While I have a positive disposition towards most animals, mosquitoes who invade my home and try to suck my or my family members blood, will not be embraced. (especially as my wife and kids are allergic to them and get huge blisters when stung)

I suppose you mean screens ? They are very expensive to install and I have to limit my expenses. I also have a very large sliding window which is huge.

I also have the same allergic reaction as your family and am itching all over.

Apparently taking a b vitamins helps. I have no idea if there is any science behind this, but that's what I was told & I guess it can't do any harm to try!

(even I'm getting bitten this year, which is strange as I don't usually at all.)

I only take B12 a couple of times a week.

The mosquitoes are really very vicious and land on your face and also chase you.:rolleyes:

We have nasty mosquitoes here, including the tiger striped. I make a repellant with one part lemon eucalyptus oil, 9 parts witch hazel and spray it on. I don't like to use DEET products, they are so toxic. Lavender oil or thyme oil work too from what I have read.

I don't think you can have your screenless windows open when the mosquitoes are bad. Make sure there is no standing water outside, like in an old pot or tire, etc because they will breed there.

Maybe you could get mosquito nets and tack them up over the windows you want to keep open. I would think the nets are much cheaper than screens.

We have nasty mosquitoes here, including the tiger striped. I make a repellant with one part lemon eucalyptus oil, 9 parts witch hazel and spray it on. I don't like to use DEET products, they are so toxic. Lavender oil or thyme oil work too from what I have read.

I don't think you can have your screenless windows open when the mosquitoes are bad. Make sure there is no standing water outside, like in an old pot or tire, etc because they will breed there.

I do have eucalyptus extract. I'll go to the chemist and try and order some witch hazel. I wasn't aware of what the latter was used for. I will try to make the potion as citronella does not deter them.

I usually put the ac on when it is hot however when it cools down I turn it off. That is when all the monsters appear !

Reactions: ledboots
I do have eucalyptus extract. I'll go to the chemist and try and order some witch hazel. I wasn't aware of what the latter was used for. I will try to make the potion as citronella does not deter them.

I usually put the ac on when it is hot however when it cools down I turn it off. That is when all the monsters appear !
You can mix the eucalyptus extract with oil instead of witch hazel if you want. That helps too.

I suppose you mean screens ? They are very expensive to install and I have to limit my expenses. I also have a very large sliding window which is huge.

I also have the same allergic reaction as your family and am itching all over.

Actually I mean both.

In Europe and now in Malaysia, we put Mosquito screens on the windows.
We already had that discussion some time ago ...

When we are visiting my wifes family in Taiwan, who live in an older house where it is not so easy to keep the mosquitoes out of the aircon ducts and similar, my wife actually prefers to use a mosquito net that is suspended from the ceiling and covers the bed. I personally find that quite uncomfortable, as this will also inhibit air flow.

Best regards,
Andy