Money in society

Sally

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I think it would be okay for money to change hands for luxuries, but it is wrong that people should have to pay for warmth, food, water, power, transport and healthcare. If these were free we would live in an amazing world where ideas could be embraced and expanded instead of being suppressed because nobody can make enough money from them. Like Betamax videos, far superior to VHS but who wants quality when you can keep selling replacements for the rubbish VHS's, or cars, or anything really.

I reckon that all the really horrible jobs that people have to do to pay for the essentials, would be replaced by technology if companies were unable to make money from it them. If everyone refused to risk their lives down mines we would soon find alternative methods to get power, and if nobody was going to make money from it, we would be free to experiment without being obstructed by patents owned by interested corporations. The 21st Century might be more like The Jetsons than the Victorian Era we seem to have reverted to with the rich/poor divide.

There would be less need for wars and perhaps a kinder more tolerant society, which would include respectful treatment of animals.

Reactions: veganwoman
That's why I think Eco villages will be the future of the world. Soon the resources will come to an end and ppl that can recycle and live in harmony with nature will be the ones to get by. I agree that it's absurd to work your bones to pay for the essentials, nature can provide us everything if we know how to live in harmony with it.

The planet will be here with or without us, nature is a strong force, we can damage it and suffer the backlash, but the planet will recover. The planet can live without us, we can't live without it...

Reactions: veganwoman
I completely understand where you're coming from but at the same time, competition and the opportunity to do better than others is what pushes our society to excell.

Sally, I understand your compassion for others and I have had similar thoughts before. However, all of those things you mentioned are products that took a system of commerce to produce and many people's livelihoods depend on them. Who would pay for those productions systems that make these things possible? Without businesses providing these things for a price people would have to fend for themselves and I think much tragedy would result.

Here's me thinking this could be a nice thread where we could talk about a perfect society and maybe even find solutions to today's problems, but almost immediately cold water is thrown all over it. Of course I understand that it is not possible in today's attitude to the world, I was just thinking it would be an interesting thread for people to put forward positive ideas, even if they are unrealistic. What happened to dreaming of a brighter future, after all the ideas are needed first. My post talks about using technology instead of making people do rotten jobs. And the past is the past, we should learn from it but not aspire to live in it. I did not mention 'products' I mentioned life's essentials which, by using technology already available, could be used by all.

:tired_face:I agree. People shouldn't have to pay all this money to survive. This world is awful and I hate it.
The poor keep getting poorer and rich keep getting richer and it's not okay.