Moderation is the key to a healthy living!

jillyan10

Newcomer
Reaction score
Do you agree that moderation is what we need in order for us to be healthy? I have to say that we abuse food and drink that is why we experience health problems. We experience diabetes, heart problems, obesity, and more because we overeat and we don't choose wisely the food that we eat. Let us discipline ourselves and practice moderation.

I think moderation is yet another reason people are fat and sick to be honest. If we were still living on actual foods like back in the day, yes, you'd be right, depending on the food. But now, there is no such thing as moderation on a processed foods diet. Go into any grocery store, cover the front labels and tell me, just by looking at the back of the packaging, what the food is supposed to be. Go down every isle. The ingredients in all of them are sugar, salt, oil with other dry, intestine scraping questionables or dairy and a mix of other things you probably aren't sure of lol. Nope.. no moderation anymore. I hear people saying they eat bad food in moderation because YOLO.. but just because you didn't eat in a restaurant, doesn't mean you aren't mowing down much of the exact same thing at home. It's just at home now lol. Just becuase you don't eat chips every day, doesn't mean you're not still eating it in a different form. Whatever makes people comfortable though.

Many people confuse moderation with changes in lifestyle, as in example as happen with veganism/vegetarianism.

People who have been living on meat-based diets and go overweight, move on to be vegetarianism with the hope to recover their ideal weight and good health, but then began to cook vegetables with a ton of oil and include whole milk in their breakfast thinking this is an important source of calcium to have it dropped.

The fact is that moderation never takes place, they change meat for vegetables, but keep using oil in abundance. They may drink milk, but rather than a low-fat version or less whole milk than before, they keep abusing of this, and so on.

Moderation is the key factor when it comes to conduct our lives, not just regarding eating habits but in everything else around.

I think moderation is yet another reason people are fat and sick to be honest. If we were still living on actual foods like back in the day, yes, you'd be right, depending on the food. But now, there is no such thing as moderation on a processed foods diet. Go into any grocery store, cover the front labels and tell me, just by looking at the back of the packaging, what the food is supposed to be. Go down every isle. The ingredients in all of them are sugar, salt, oil with other dry, intestine scraping questionables or dairy and a mix of other things you probably aren't sure of lol. Nope.. no moderation anymore. I hear people saying they eat bad food in moderation because YOLO.. but just because you didn't eat in a restaurant, doesn't mean you aren't mowing down much of the exact same thing at home. It's just at home now lol. Just becuase you don't eat chips every day, doesn't mean you're not still eating it in a different form. Whatever makes people comfortable though.

Powerful post - and so many true points that I honestly hadn't dwelled on before. You're right, how much of the average supermarket is just full of additives, preservatives, colors and other stuff that you can't even pronounce...and things that are masquerading as healthy are often anything but. I thought what you said about eating like you do at a restaurant at home is so prevalent nowadays - it really hit home because I know so many people like that. Thanks for putting some things into perspective for me!

Powerful post - and so many true points that I honestly hadn't dwelled on before. You're right, how much of the average supermarket is just full of additives, preservatives, colors and other stuff that you can't even pronounce...and things that are masquerading as healthy are often anything but. I thought what you said about eating like you do at a restaurant at home is so prevalent nowadays - it really hit home because I know so many people like that. Thanks for putting some things into perspective for me!

It's scary isn't it? At some point we're all wearing blinders and miss these things because they so gradually took over. Packaging lies as it is.. there are actually things they don't even have to put on the label that you'll never know about.. then they get sneaky with wording on the things you do see and better yet, it's pretty much all the same food in different forms and colours lol. That's why you'd be hard pressed to find anything processed in my kitchen.. I don't even consider the front of a package and the back is almost always depressing to read lol. So unnecessary and dangerous, but anything to save money and beat out the competition :/

I don't think it matters what you eat a long as you don't overeat. Learning to know if we are hungry or not is the hardest part. Remembering to have a drink before you eat, just in case you are only thirsty. It's hard to tell the difference, especially when you are at home, and not busy and food is there all the time. Or you are tired and it's too much trouble to make something from scratch, especially if you need to shop as well. Maybe I'll make a chart. Today I need this much protein from whatever I have , this much carbohydrate, etc and tick it off throughout the day, then I might make better choices when shopping and train myself to think more about what I'm eating and how much I actually need. I'm not a foodie and it is such a chore. This is a good thread, makes you think. Thank you Jillyan10.

Yes. There's such a difference of opinion when it comes to 'grazing'. There's a particular way to do a vegan diet which certainly requires 'moderation' but then there are many other kinds that practice abundance too. As suggested above, it depends what kind of food you are eating. If you search for 'vegan' and 'abundance' on the internet you'll see what I mean - you'll get thousands and thousands of results.

I suppose one of the benefits of fruitarianism, especially, is the lack of preparation time needed. The Sun has done that all for you already. You just need to buy in bulk.

I need to do better with this. Currently I try to eat at least one 'raw' meal a day (usually lunch) and at least one freshly made juice/smoothie a day, but I'm sure I can do better. However I might be moving home soon so I don't want to start playing with my diet just right now when I anticipate life getting briefly more stressful. When I get settled I might try raw 'til four and see how that feels. Several months ago I cut gluten from my diet and I must confess I felt a big difference but then I regressed because bread are such a convenient 'stop over' sort of food - which just came down to my bad planning.

Previously I used www.cronometer.com to track my daily macros. But after a time I started to intuitively understand what I needed to eat. These days I only go back to macro-tracking if I'm starting to feel a little under the weather and I use it just as a way to check that I haven't slipped into an imbalanced diet, which might be the cause.