Mine eyes are not seeing the glory

StrawberryField

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
My eyesight started going south about 5 years ago. It's not terribly bad but I just need readers for reading. I have been vegan for 8 months now and I was hoping to see an improvement in my eyesight but it's pretty much stayed the same. However, I will say that my diet hasn't really changed much since going vegan either. I've been eating the same thing more or less with out the animal products. I basically follow the MacDougal Starch Solution and I eat mostly beans, rice, avacado, bread, pasta, fruit, nuts but I'll be honest, I'm not big on the salads and veggies. I do eat them but they're not a regular thing. I'm curious if someone out there with eye sight problems started introducing a certain food to their diet that actually helped them see better. I hope I don't sound too ignorant but are carrots still good for eyes? Is that still a thing? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

It could be any number of things.

Reading glasses is a common thing for people who are getting older. It has more to do with gravity than diet. As we age our eyeballs get flatter, so its harder to focus on things close up.

Go to your doctor and have him check you out. A simple blood test will uncover any deficiencies you might have. You should also go see an eye doctor. Again there are any number of things that could be going on. Some early detection might turn out to be critical. Also, many things are correctable.

The carrot thing is half myth. but it does have a basis on truth. Vitamin A does improve night vision, rhodopsin (also found in carrots) helps keep your corneas healthy. But lots of veggies have A and Rhodopsin, too.

Here is a good article you can read.

I have been a 'starchivore' for almost three years now and although I haven't noticed any improvement in my eyes I also haven't had any deterioration that I am aware of. I am more than a decade older than you and do not yet use glasses for reading, I have to take my distance glasses off to read and have for a number of years. I am constantly on a computer or a phone or reading a book so my eyes do get tired sometimes but despite all I put them through they are doing okay.

Lou's suggestion of seeing a doctor and getting a blood test is a good one just so that all factors are known.

Emma JC

I'm like Emma - but older.

I have been wearing glasses since I was 14. I have been having to take my distance glasses off to read for like 20 years. I tried bifocals but they didn't help as much as just taking off my glasses. I've been going with smaller frames so that to read a watch or an odometer I can just peek below the glasses.

I read mostly on my Kindle and can choose a larger font. Same with the computer screen. but this year I ended up with a paperback and had to go out and buy my first pair of reading glasses. Reading glasses may have been needed before - but I rarely get paperbacks.

I've also noticed that my distance vision seems to be getting better. but I chalk that up to gravity - not diet.

almost entirely off-topic
During WWII the British Air Force spread a rumor that the pilot's success in night fights was due to the fact that they got carrots to eat at all their meals. This was actually part of a disinformation campaign. Their success rates at night were due to the invention of radar - but they were trying to keep the radar secret.

almost entirely off-topic
During WWII the British Air Force spread a rumor that the pilot's success in night fights was due to the fact that they got carrots to eat at all their meals. This was actually part of a disinformation campaign. Their success rates at night were due to the invention of radar - but they were trying to keep the radar secret.

cool info

Emma JC

Reactions: KLS52
I know this post is old but I finally went to the optometrist to see what was going on. I have a slight astigmatism in my right eye. However, no macular degeneration or anything to worry about. I still need reading glasses though. GRRR

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
I’m like Lou and Emma only... older. 😁

I’m nearsighted and have been since I was 12 I think. I was pretty young and I too have astigmatism. I also take off my glasses to read. I do have a cataract in my right eye. We’ve been watching it for about three years. It’s just now really starting to bother me so I’m likely to be having it removed this year. Ugh. I’m very squeamish when it comes to my eyes.
I don’t about the carrot thing. I always carrots and don’t see that they’ve helped with my eyesight. Night driving is very difficult for me the last few years but that could be the cataract.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou