"Mindless Chatter" threads

I think it would be nice just to keep the one thread. Maybe edit the title to "Mindless Chatter thread. Come join us!" or something like that to try to encourage the people who get put off by the high post count?
Yeah it's fine if you guys want to choose another title. I've seen titles like "The So-and-so Cafe" that are intended to give the impression of a casual thread to sit down and gab in for anyone who feels like it.
Maybe on the 1st of every month we start a new one. It gives newbies a chance to join in without a lot of backreading. It could be Mindless Chatter: June Thread or whatever we decide?

Yeah, what ^^^ said.
sign-smiley-6799.gif

I just realised today is first of July, thanks! time to turn over all the calendars.

That raises a point... The 1st of the month for creating a new thread, OK but in which timezone? And who does it?

All you "in-the-future" people can haggle over that. :p
It is only just about 5pm June 30th here. So my East Coast US-ness can't do it.

That raises a point... The 1st of the month for creating a new thread, OK but in which timezone? And who does it?

Whoever gets there first, as long as it's the 1st in their time zone. Although people in Australia/Eastern countries might prefer to wait it out so their thread doesn't start with "BUT IT'S NOT THE FIRST!!111" every time :p

Reactions: Freesia
That's ok because the wallflowers have their own little buffet table. So we can stare silently at the crowd and eat.

Reactions: Freesia
Perhaps we can have little competitions every month to decide who starts the new thread.

I dont know. Could be all sorts of things. A game, or something.

Whatever title is decided can it please relate to the thread so it's not so abnormal and obscure that nobody knows wtf it means? Can it be somewhat obvious that it is some sort of chat thread?

I think if there are to be multiple threads the title should stay the same. I also think to avoid hurt feelings a mod should start each new one. It needn't necessarily include the word "chat" if people like the idea of calling it after a tea or coffee room, or a pub, like "The Pig and Whistle" or something.

Reactions: thefadedone
I think if there are to be multiple threads the title should stay the same. I also think to avoid hurt feelings a mod should start each new one. It needn't necessarily include the word "chat" if people like the idea of calling it after a tea or coffee room, or a pub, like "The Pig and Whistle" or something.

I would disagree; another forum I'm at has several chat threads (all with their own cliques, ugh) and they have names like 'The Pub' and 'The Mad House'. I didn't even click on them for several months because I thought they were some kind of game or competition threads. I think it's important for the title to reflect what it is, unless we want it to look like some sort of exclusive club or inside joke.

I don't think there is any way to avoid having such a thread seem like a clique. That's mostly why I never post in any. I never really feel welcome. Maybe some clever person can come up with a title that will dispel that impression?