"Mindless Chatter" threads

^That's ideal. The title has an open invitation, and it's named after the whole site instead of a group.

Having words like "random" or "casual" or "mindless" are ideal, they suggest you don't need to keep up with the conversation but you can post whatever you like. Some people are never going to like chat threads because they don't spend enough time on the site to get to know people, but at least if it's obviously a chat thread then they might be tempted in to have a look. :)

I also think when we do start new threads, having links to the previous threads would be good.
And also, instead of just going RIGHT into chatting in the OP, there could maybe be a tiny explanation of what the chat is and welcoming people to join in.

That was one reason why it took me forever to join in on the SFP threads at the other board. But when I finally figured out what the hell was up, I became pretty regular.

And if a person who hasn't chatted before posts, we should make sure to include them in the conversation. If they get ignored they're less likely to return.

I also think when we do start new threads, having links to the previous threads would be good.
And also, instead of just going RIGHT into chatting in the OP, there could maybe be a tiny explanation of what the chat is and welcoming people to join in.

That was one reason why it took me forever to join in on the SFP threads at the other board. But when I finally figured out what the hell was up, I became pretty regular.
That's another reason why it's probably best that a mod start each new one.

Reactions: thefadedone
We could include the month and year in brackets in the title of each chat thread as well.