Microchipping

thefadedone

Needs a life
Reaction score
Can you share your opinions on microchipping? Are there any potential negative side effects or is it really safe?

I'm not aware of any negative aspects to getting your pets microchipped. The benefits are that if your pet runs away or gets lost, as long as the microchip is registered to you the two of you will be reunited. I had my cat Bear microchipped because he's a door-dasher. He's always dashing outside when I open the door, and I'm afraid he might get outside and get lost. A microchip is a real life saver for pets.

I wasn't going to get my other two cats microchipped because they don't really have any interest in going outside, but it occurred to me that in a disaster, if they can't be evacuated with me, at least they might be safe somewhere if they're microchipped, and then we can be reunited later. So I plan to take care of that soon.

A microchip is as small as a grain of rice and is placed under the animal's skin. Apparently it might migrate a little, but I don't think it injures the animal.

Thanks for the response.

I know it's a great thing, but at the same time I'm just apprehensive about putting a foreign object into an animal's body and the overall safety of it all. I can't seem to find any horror stories about it or anything which is a relief.

To me, unless there is very clear danger of a health problem, I would always have a microchip done if possible, even for indoor-only cats. Cats are very hard to get back to owners without identification, and they don't fare well in most shelters. Maybe there is some slight possible adverse effect someone could suggest, but I definitely think it is far outweighed by having permanent ID on the animal. If animals could talk that would be another thing.

Most medical decisions are a matter of benefit vs. risk, and this has a huge potential benefit.

I don't like putting foreign objects into animals' bodies either, but I dislike the thought of an animal being lost, suffering, and killed in a shelter for lack of a home more.

Reactions: ledboots
Thanks guys. The local humane society here is offering a microchipping clinic of sorts this weekend at a reasonable price so I guess I will take advantage of it and get my dog chipped there. :up:
My vet has me tap tap tap lightly on the top of my dog's head while he gives an injection. The distraction helps; he says it is for the dog, but maybe it is to distract *me*. :p

I don't know if the microchips are different in the UK but my cats didn't even seem to feel any discomfort when they were chipped.:) All my animals are chipped and I haven't heard anything negative about the process. It's important to keep your details up to date as my vet said some people get their animals chipped but then forget to update when they get new mobile phone numbers.

Reactions: Dedalus
My local shelter automatically chips all the cats and dogs they receive now. My 3 cats are all chipped, and they have collars and tags. It gives me peace of mind to know they have two forms of identification, so to speak. One is visible and will hopefully keep them out of the shelter, and one is permanent, so if they ever do end up lost and back at the shelter, they can get home to me. Plus, the microchip information is super easy to update online, in case you move and your pet goes missing, or there is an unexpected disaster, like Amy mentioned.

Reactions: thefadedone
Shortly after my litter mates were spayed and micro chipped, I heard a snotty radio talk show host tell a caller that animals can develop tumors at the site of the chip. This scared me and I researched online and it appears rare.

My kitties are strictly indoors but it's probably better they are chipped. I can't believe they are almost two.

Ive never heard of any side effects, outside of conspiricy theories. All my cats are done and the ferret is too (as were the others). Even if it does hurt them its only for a split second and sooo worth it. Years ago I had a cat go missing and she was found due to the microchip.

I'm also a firm believer in microchipping. All my cats have had chips for years and to this point no ill effects. (Although one of my cats chips is really close to the skin level and I can feel it, like a little grain of rice when I pet him - that kind of creeps me out.)

One of the great advantages I've found is that if you have indoor / outdoor cats - you can program specialized cat doors to recognize (via the microchips) which cats have privileges to come and go at will and which do not. For instance - I had an older cat who came and went freely - but since I also had two kittens inside I could not just leave the cat door open cause I didn't want them out. The cat door I purchased worked out perfectly for containing the two inside that needed to be - while allowing the other outside access. It has a lock system - and once it senses the microchip of a cat who is allowed outside - the door unlocks itself momentarily while they pass through. It's pretty slick actually.

I'm hoping they come up with a cat door that has the functionality for me to see who came in or went out and and detail what time(s) so I can pull up an app and review whenever. (Do I need to patent this right now?) As far as I know this technology does not currently exist.

Oh AND a GPS functionality - that would allow me to locate the crazy critters and track where they are going. That would be sweet.

Pretty cool. It would solve my cousin's raccoon-coming-in-the-cat-door issue...

Yes, it's good for that. To achieve my purpose it was necessary to reverse the door. I always want my outside cats to be able to get in - microchipped or not. (Should one escape.) This is also good because I don't have to worry about the batteries going bad or there being some malfunction that may leave my critters stuck outside. Far better for them to be stuck inside in that scenario.

...I haven't had to contend with any raccoons or strays - I think mostly because the door itself is not ground level and it leads out through the garage. I have another cat 'flap' in the door of the garage (just a regular one).

Thanks guys. The local humane society here is offering a microchipping clinic of sorts this weekend at a reasonable price so I guess I will take advantage of it and get my dog chipped there. :up:

Update:
It is done. :) It was quick and hopefully not that painful. Princess was too busy being terrified to realize what was happening. I gotta say though that I am extremely impressed with the staff from the Humane Society that helped out. She also had her nails clipped which almost always results in her snapping at the person trying to clip them, but she did great yesterday! It helped tremendously that they had one worker holding her, another one clipping, and two others plus myself talking to her and distracting her.

The staff were so helpful, caring, reassuring, and passionate about their love for the animals and the work they were doing. Plus they said that I could bring her into the shelter any time and have them clip her nails which is awesome.

The chip and the clipping ended up being $30 altogether.