Nutrition & Diet Methods of adding nutrients to smoothies

How dyou know if you don't get enough calcium?
I know because I'm old and I've had several bone density tests...four I think over the last decade. I think you can check with a blood test. I did a quick search but there was too much info for 5 am, lol.

Anyway, the first one showed mild bone density loss...they call it Osteopenia which I guess is a prelude to Osteoporosis. I managed to stay the same for the next two tests but this last one showed further bone loss. Boo...still not bad enough to be called Osteoporosis but I don't like that it got worse. I'm really bad with supplementing and exercise but that needs to change. I do not want to take one of the calcium building medications.

So I'm taking an over the counter supplement and I started Pilates using exercise bands for more resistance. Blegh, lol. So I want to try and increase calcium in my diet. I just lost a good bit of extra weight so I don't want a smoothie that is going to be calorie burdened with too much fruit, hence the almond milk question. I can't wait to get to the store and get me some greens, baby! Haha. :)

Last edited:
Anyway, the first one showed mild bone density loss...they call it Osteopenia which I guess is a prelude to Osteoporosis. I managed to stay the same for the next two tests but this last one showed further bone loss. Boo...still not bad enough to be called Osteoporosis but I don't like that it got worse. I'm really bad with supplementing and exercise but that needs to change. I do not want to take one of the calcium building medications.

I have this, too. But I drink about 2 cups of almond or cashew milk a day and eat foods that are supplemented (Luna bars, certain cereals) so I think my calcium needs are covered. I was initially diagnosed with osteopenia when I was about 15 ( :eek: ) and have had a few bone density scans since then. Its gotten a bit worse in certain spots (my wrists, for example) but overall, has pretty much stayed the same. My yiayia has osteoporosis and I tend to fall a lot [emoji14] so I try to stay mindful of my calcium intake as well! Sucks being a white woman sometimes.

Is it silly to bump this from 2013? I am doing a detox and it is a useful thread...

Simply add frozen or fresh greens (e.g. spinach, kale, rocket leaves, salad, radish greens) to your smoothie...

You don't need to juice it in advance, the advantage of the blender is that it pulverizes everything....