US Meet Mr. Money Mustache, who retired at 30.

I was reading that old appliances are sometimes very inefficient and use up more energy than newer appliances. Someone online was saying she bought a device that measured the energy use of appliances and her old fridge freezer was using lots of power.

I was reading an article about pensions and the average person apparently "needs" to have saved up 8x their final salary!:eek: What the hell. How much do you need to retire? - Fidelity Investments

I guess a retirement spending days on the boat would be great. I'm already very aware of all the things I won't do and won't see.

I don't see too much about retiring frugally. It seems retirement is often portrayed as having lots of disposable cash. That may be true for some but not for many. I think people can retire and have a good time without having a ton of money. I hope something like that works out for me.

I think it's great what that guy and his missus have done.

Even if it all goes 'boobs-upwards' and they have to return to work at some point - they still got a break from the rat race that very few people will ever get the chance to enjoy.

I live a pretty frugal life myself and that allowed me to be pretty much in semi retirement by the time I turned 50. Did the calcs just yesterday as it happens; The core work I need to do to keep afloat with a years money in the bank is now only 3 days per month plus a couple of days admin.

As Das said earlier in the thread; The trick is being able to differentiate between what we need and what we want.

I like this guy, actually.​
Perhaps it makes us feel bad that he was willing to sacrifice where we weren't.​
Jim​