Health Issues Medication

And you can't advocate for change, or do anything for the animals, if your dead, so take your medicine. :p

I agree with this.
At some point M will need an operation on his heart. It will require medication that has been tested on or possible includes animal ingredients. Even though M is omni people have attacked me because 'how can I say Im for animal rights, yet be ok with M having this operation' Basically who do you love more your partner or animals.
Same with my sister who is on anti epiletic medication. I had to leave a forum a few years back because about 10/15 members ganged up on me saying I was a hypocrit for campaigning for AR and also the ban on generic medication for Epiletics(if my sister takes generic meds over branded she could have seizure)

I agree with this.
At some point M will need an operation on his heart. It will require medication that has been tested on or possible includes animal ingredients. Even though M is omni people have attacked me because 'how can I say Im for animal rights, yet be ok with M having this operation' Basically who do you love more your partner or animals.
Same with my sister who is on anti epiletic medication. I had to leave a forum a few years back because about 10/15 members ganged up on me saying I was a hypocrit for campaigning for AR and also the ban on generic medication for Epiletics(if my sister takes generic meds over branded she could have seizure)

*hugs* sorry some people are asshats :(

I was vegan for almost 8 months when i decided that if I was going to do it properly then I needed to come off my Citalopram which I'd been taking for approximately 4 years for depression. I didn't tell anybody about this monumental decision and everything just went downhill rapidly from the moment I stopped taking my pills. I was so pleased that I wasn't taking them anymore that i tried my hardest to put up with how I was feeling, which wasn't very good, and was getting worse daily. It took me about 3 months to admit to my family what I'd done, by which point I was in a total mess and needed help. I ended up back on my Citalopram and my family were convinced that me being a vegan was not good for my health, so I reluctantly agreed to go back to being vegetarian.

That was over a year ago and I'm now back to my happy, bubbly self. Except I want to go back to being a vegan, and I am going back to being vegan. If my family don't like it, then tough. I have given them my word I will never do anything as stupid as that again, and that I will continue to take my medication until my doctor tells me otherwise. After all what's the point in being a dead vegan!

Reactions: thefadedone
I don't like the idea of having to take medication however I take very strong anti-inflammatories several times
a month due to severe migraines. I don't think that I could survive the pain without them.

I know this is an old post but this makes me angry on your behalf.:down: I had surgery on my leg two years ago, maybe I should have refused to have it because I'm a vegan. Who needs the use of their leg anyway?:D

Thanks Moll
At the time I didntknow any other veggie/vegan/AR people so i felt so low and like I was a bad veg*n.
People are so happy to try and catch you out, or point out that youre not vegan because dot dot dot.
You could just hop everywhere, thats pretty vegan. Seriously though sorry to hear that :hug:

I was vegan for almost 8 months when i decided that if I was going to do it properly then I needed to come off my Citalopram which I'd been taking for approximately 4 years for depression. I didn't tell anybody about this monumental decision and everything just went downhill rapidly from the moment I stopped taking my pills. I was so pleased that I wasn't taking them anymore that i tried my hardest to put up with how I was feeling, which wasn't very good, and was getting worse daily. It took me about 3 months to admit to my family what I'd done, by which point I was in a total mess and needed help. I ended up back on my Citalopram and my family were convinced that me being a vegan was not good for my health, so I reluctantly agreed to go back to being vegetarian.

That was over a year ago and I'm now back to my happy, bubbly self. Except I want to go back to being a vegan, and I am going back to being vegan. If my family don't like it, then tough. I have given them my word I will never do anything as stupid as that again, and that I will continue to take my medication until my doctor tells me otherwise. After all what's the point in being a dead vegan!

Very glad to hear that you are taking the meds again. I was getting worried for a minute there while reading your post.

Reactions: Willow
Very glad to hear that you are taking the meds again. I was getting worried for a minute there while reading your post.

Thanks. I definitely learned my lesson - the hard way.

Looking back now I can't believe how stupid I was, but at the time it seemed perfectly rational :blush:

Now I have friends and family watching me like a hawk but a promise is a promise!

Reactions: thefadedone
Triggers regarding mental health may be below

Medication has given me my life back... For the first time in years, I feel human... No crippling depression, paranoia, racing thoughts, suicidal ideation... My illness had progressed to the point where I could only get out of bed to go to the toilet.

I wish I could umm and ahh about meds, but I don't have the privilege. I've learnt they're a necessity for me, unless I wish to be hospitalised (again), bed bound, or maybe end up taking my life, or getting hurt in my "up periods".

I'm gutted that I may have to stay medicated for the forseeable future, but now I'm functioning again, I try and use my energy, when I have it, to help other sentients.

I don't know if my psychiatric meds are tested on animals (most meds are) and I manage my health well enough not to need other meds, or try and use natural remedies if for example, I have stomach upset, or the flue ect

Veganism for me is avoiding animal exploitation as far as possible. I try where I can.

Reactions: Scorpius
I take medications. If there is a 'more-veg*n' option, for example gelatin caps vs. veg caps or something, then I go with the veg version. But almost all medicines are/have been tested on animals. It's just one of those fairly unavoidable things.

This. I won't take medication in gel caps or something I know is animal-sourced (like D-3).

My antidepressant and anti-anxiety meds were tested on animals (by law, like Alice-Bee mentioned) at some point, but there's a good chance that I wouldn't be alive today if it weren't for them. Seeing I can save more animals being alive than being dead, I figure it's 'vegan enough' for me to take them.

I don't take much in the way of medication save for the occasional ibuprofen or OTC allergy medicine in spring and fall. Without the allergy stuff, I'd be miserable with itchy eyes, runny nose, sneezing and congestion. I try to find vegan ones when I can, but as others have said, it's almost impossible to find medicine that hasn't been tested on animals.

For things that I've got to take, like antibiotics, I will always ask before they write the prescription if they're in gelatine capsules and if so, is there an alternative. It means that I often have to have the oral suspensions which taste disgusting and are an inconvenience if I have to go out because they're supposed to be kept in the fridge but I'd rather deal with that than have gelatine capsules.
Other people might not be able to have the suspensions because they do taste horrible (they make me want to vomit... I'm sure they would actually make some people vomit because they are rank) and the whole must be refrigerated thing is a pain in the arse if you don't have access to a fridge at work etc. So they might have to have the gelatine capsules. I don't think I'm any better than those people for them having to take the gelatine ones. Heck, I would prefer to take the gelatine ones because of the above issues with the suspensions but I really, really, really struggle with forcing myself to swallow them. I can't bear the thought of gelatine being inside me at all. (I actually started avoided gelatine about 2 years before I went vegetarian because I really hate the stuff. )

That's what I do. Since I automatically picture what gelatin is made from whenever I see it, I don't think I could physically keep it down. If the medicine only comes in capsules, I ask if it's safe to open them up and take what's inside, otherwise I just can't take it.

Triggers regarding mental health may be below

Medication has given me my life back... For the first time in years, I feel human... No crippling depression, paranoia, racing thoughts, suicidal ideation... My illness had progressed to the point where I could only get out of bed to go to the toilet.

I knew someone who feels the same way - she once told me that if you are feeling severely depressed, try (prescription) drugs.

It's better than the alternative.