Meat referred to as protein

Bitki

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Flexitarian
There was a news segment about how lamb in Australia is the most expensive in the world and they had a representative from the meat industry to try to explain it away. What I found interesting is that he didn't refer to it as meat, he referred to it as protein. At no point did he mention lamb, meat or animal, he only said protein.

I guess this is the agricultural industries way of removing the idea of where meat comes from, name it as a protein. People really love their protein and with more people introducing a plant based diet into their life, this is how they respond. Call meat protein. I found it really disturbing.

Reactions: IC_ and Lou
Already in the past, non-vegans normally did not refer to decaying cadavers, but use the more positive word “meat”.
Time for them to move on even further.

I think it is a positive sign that more and more people realize eating animals is not a positive behaviour.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lou
I don't even know if it's an attempt to remove the costumer from the process nearly as much as it's a way to make the meat seem "essential." Every one knows we need protein to survive, so as long as meat is synonymous with protein, it's essential. It's a fallacy argument, but unfortunately (like most fallacy arguments), it works really well on a lot of people. 😣

Thundergleep I think you have explained it better than I could and why I find it so disturbing. It is implanting an image of meat as being essential. Like you say it's not accurate. They could have said saturated fat instead, however how displeasing would it be for the average person to think of buying saturated fat.

It will work well on a lot of people, they think meat = protein. On the other hand Andy I agree with what you are saying that the fact they need to remove meat from their language shows that more people are aware of the affect on farmed animals.

Their language makes me angry though, they are not selling protein, technically it is not just protein they are selling, it's meat.