US Mass shooting in San Bernardino, California

Second Summer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Fourteen people were killed at a social service agency in the Southern California city of San Bernardino on Wednesday, and a manhunt was under way for up to three suspects who opened fire, the police chief said.

A further 14 people were wounded, San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan said in a televised news briefing.
More: Shooting rampage in California city leaves 14 dead, 14 wounded

There is a rumour that the shooters are Middle Eastern-looking. Though I also read elsewhere they were wearing balaclavas, so not sure how they determined this ...

We are watching this live as it all unfolds. Looks like they have had a shootout with suspects and have killed them. Reports are that the shooters were in camo gear, with Kevlar vests and helmets. Nothing is really known at this point. The place they shot up was a social services building that helped disabled people. And an event taking place was something to do with the health dept. Seems to make no sense. As it is still ongoing, there is very little concrete information.

There's also a report that one of the shooters was a former employee, either of the center or of the county department which was having a holiday party in one of the rooms.

And in more news, nothing is going to change the U.S. mindset about guns, even as these killings occur with more and more frequency....

It's depressing on so many fronts.

I am sure they have rounded up a lot of suspicious-looking people of Middle Eastern descent by now.

Two suspects with rifles, a couple (man and woman) have been shot and killed by police after a shoot-out. A third suspect has been arrested, but it was unclear if they had anything to do with the shootings or if they were just trying to escape from the rain of bullets.

The couple, or one of them, had been attending the Christmas party at the venue of the shooting. Sounds like the motive was some kind of disagreement.

Well, isn't that kind of a logical reaction?

You attend a Christmas party, they are really mean to you, so you go to your truck, grab your trusty assault rifle and balaclava, and go back to teach them?

Don't tell me you never thought about something like that...;)

PS: Told you they would be looking Middle-Eastern.....

Surely now gun control policies will attract more support? I mean, apparently a Muslim in America can legally purchase weapons, and then proceed to use them to massacre people! People at a Christmas party, of all things!

It's starting to sound like another Muslim radicalisation story.

In the attack in Lyon, France earlier this year, a Muslim murdered his boss and attacked his workplace.

Edit: This isn't going to help the case for settling Syrian refugees in the US ....

Last edited:
This was sort of near me, about 45 minutes to an hour away depending on traffic. My TV and internet were out and it was so frustrating hearing everything second hand. My roommate had gone to get a dog from the S.B. shelter, a few buildings down from where the shooting occurred. As soon as I heard about it (a relative called and told me since I had no TV), I called my roommate to warn her, but she said it was too late, she was already caught in the lockdown.

Last edited:
Very sorry to hear this, and trying to get my head around what had happened...

... seems the assailants were a married Muslim couple, 27 and 26. They used assault rifles, pistols (all bought legally) and pipe bombs (which did not explode)
... the husband had been working at the place of the shooting for 5 years, he seemed "well integrated" and polite
... they gave their 6-month old daughter to his mother for safekeeping, citing a doctor appointment
... the mother, like everybody else, was very surprised to hear the news

Surely now gun control policies will attract more support? I mean, apparently a Muslim in America can legally purchase weapons, and then proceed to use them to massacre people! People at a Christmas party, of all things!
Theoretically, in the land of opportunity, a Muslim who is on the terrorism watch-list, can legally acquire weapons, and then use these to massacre people in a church on Christmas Eve. (How is that for War on Christmas?)

Basic gun control measures are sensible and a pre-requisite for a civilized nation. Let's get with the program.

However, in this special case, basic gun control measures, had they been in place, would not have identified the assailants as dangerous (unless you say that all Muslims are, by definition, dangerous, radical or not) and hence not prohibited them from obtaining guns either.

Other countries approach this dilemma by asking the question "What would a citizen need an automatic weapon for, at all?" And make certain categories of guns unavailable. Which is not to say that a determined attacker can not use normal pistols or hunting rifles to kill many victims...

You cannot buy automatic weapons (where you hold down the trigger and it keeps firing) in California, or in any US state without a bunch of red tape.

Semi automatic long guns can be purchased, and some criminals alter the guns so they don't have to pull the trigger for each shot.

There have been more mass shootings in the US than there have been days this year. I wonder if the next president will be able to do anything about this issue.

There Have Been More Mass Shootings This Year Than There Have Been Days

San Bernardino shooting: Statistics behind US gun violence - BBC News
"The FBI doesn't have an official definition of mass shooting, and there are disagreements over how to count the incidents.

Mother Jones, for example, uses a much narrower definition of of this form of gun violence. In its "Guide to Mass Shootings in America," the publication defines a mass shooting as a single episode carried out by a single shooter in a single location, usually a public place, that kills at least four people. Mother Jones also excludes most crimes that are primarily related to gang activity, armed robbery or domestic violence. Using this definition, there have been 72 mass shootings since 1982, the most recent at Umpqua Community College, in Roseburg, Oregon, in October." There Have Been More Mass Shootings This Year Than There Have Been Days

Theoretically, in the land of opportunity, a Muslim who is on the terrorism watch-list, can legally acquire weapons, and then use these to massacre people in a church on Christmas Eve. (How is that for War on Christmas?)

Basic gun control measures are sensible and a pre-requisite for a civilized nation. Let's get with the program.

Agreed. But it will not happen as long as the US Congress is in the pocket of the NRA. They have done nothing in the past. They will do nothing now. If you can't pass logical, sensible gun control measures after children have been massacred, (Newtown, CT) then you never will. We have got to remove those politicians from office who are supported by the NRA. They don't give a good goddamn about what is sensible and logical as long as they are being bankrolled by the people ensuring anyone who wants a gun can get one.