Animal Advocacy Mass killing of squirrels in New York (Protesters needed!)

I love squirrels. We have lots of gray squirrels, and a few flying squirrels.

I love them too. The flying ones look so cool, I have never seen one. My wife and I used to have a running joke about 'the elusive black squirrel' which was a synonym for her...ahem....well you know. Anyway - one day I actually spotted a real life black squirrel up in a tree. I was so excited - I was trying for weeks to get a picture - but it truly was elusive. From that point on when we talked about the black squirrel we always had to clarify which one we were talking about. :p

Okay I've said too much. Just trying to lighten up the mood of this very depressing thread.

I grew up around red squirrels. Now I live in an area with grey squirrels. Even after several years, the grey ones look "wrong" to me.

I've never seen a flying squirrel!

I've always had a soft spot for squirrels, but then during my first year in grad school, I lived in a dorm room, the top 2/3 of the exterior wall of which was glass. There was a big old oak right outside the window. A squirrel lived in that tree, and all that year, the squirrel would nap/hang out on a branch right up against my window, and I would sit on my bed studying. We were separated by about 18 inches of space and a pane of glass. It was like we were roommates. The experience cemented my love for squirrels.

My mom fed a squirrel one time when she was younger and got horribly bitten. It did nothing to break her love for squirrels though.

We have multiple squirrel feeders, but the squirrels insist on scaring away all our birds and eating from the bird feeders. We have gotten many "squirrel-proof" feeders that the squirrels have stared at for about 0.6 seconds and then figured out how to milk for seeds immediately after.

Reactions: KLS52
My friend gave me a squirrel feeder for my birthday. It's this big circular thing that you fill with peanuts and hang from a tree. Can't wait to try it out. I don't suspect it will keep them away from the bird food, though. I don't bother with feeders anymore. I just pour the seed all along the deck railing...that way the birds and squirrels can all get their fair share. Although sometimes the squirrels are so gluttonous...the look like little Hoovers the way they go all along the railing, sucking up the seed, lol.

Reactions: thefadedone
I used to live in a house where the squirrels would scamper past my window ledge as there were trees outside.:) One of my cats was a feral and managed to snag a bit of a squirrel's tail though.:eek:

My friend gave me a squirrel feeder for my birthday. It's this big circular thing that you fill with peanuts and hang from a tree. Can't wait to try it out. I don't suspect it will keep them away from the bird food, though. I don't bother with feeders anymore. I just pour the seed all along the deck railing...that way the birds and squirrels can all get their fair share. Although sometimes the squirrels are so gluttonous...the look like little Hoovers the way they go all along the railing, sucking up the seed, lol.

We do all three of these things. Bird feeders, squirrel feeders, and scattered everywhere. We've had sunflowers grow accidentally in the lawn before.

Reactions: KLS52 and ledboots
574626_488312137902700_1864534626_n.jpg