Animal Advocacy Mass killing of squirrels in New York (Protesters needed!)

Kysska

Newcomer
Reaction score
I was wondering if there was anything you could to do to organize a protest of this horrible event? :(

Fire Department in Holley, New York Sponsors Mass Killing of Squirrels On February 16, the Fire Department in Holley, New York are sponsoring a killing of squirrels. Apparently this is their 7th year! New this year, children 14 years and under will be allowed and encouraged to kill squirrels. Children should not be encouraged to kill squirrels or any living being for that matter. The prize for children is $50 for whoever brings back the biggest or heaviest squirrel. Adults also get cash prizes, first place being $200, and so on. Squirrels will get murdered so some idiot can win a bit of cash. This is hideous! This is barbaric.

Important to say: What are you (the sponsors) teaching the children -- that life is not valuable? What about being good stewards on our planet? That killing and suffering is acceptable?

Fireman have been known to be the "savers of lives" and the people you go to do good. This event puts firemen in an unfavorable light, especially in regard to the children's participation.

Holley Fire Department
7 Thomas Street
Holley, New York
For tickets or info:
www.holleyfire.com

Dennis Bauer: 585-638-6884
Wayne Moyer: 585-659-8063
Tina Reed: 585-638-6884

Holley is a small village near Rochester.
The mayor is John W. Kenney, Jr.
585-638-6367

Just out of morbid curiosity, I went to that website to find out WHY they were killing off squirrels. I couldn't find anything- although if they had supplied some sort of reason for the cull I would have started figuring out a non-lethal alternative solution.

I know most people don't see a contradiction between saving people and killing animals, but this is beyond callous.

After some calls, the only reason they give is "Fundraising for the firefighters" as if there isn't a more humane way to do that! It's completely messed up.

Oh. My. God. Trying to find the right words. I'll have to let my anger simmer down before contacting them, but will definitely spread the word and let them hear from me!

Reactions: thefadedone
Jesus...this is awful. It sounds like something out of a horror movie. WTF is wrong with this town to allow and encourage such inhumane and disgusting event. There's got to be an animal rights organization in Rochester that can help with this. I'm trying to google though and not having too much luck.

I feel sick and can't believe what I've read ! :sob: What are the American animal welfaire association doing about this ? Are parents really going to let their siblings murder these mites ?

Signed.

I was wondering if there was anything you could to do to organize a protest of this horrible event? :(

Fire Department in Holley, New York Sponsors Mass Killing of Squirrels On February 16, the Fire Department in Holley, New York are sponsoring a killing of squirrels. Apparently this is their 7th year! New this year, children 14 years and under will be allowed and encouraged to kill squirrels. Children should not be encouraged to kill squirrels or any living being for that matter. The prize for children is $50 for whoever brings back the biggest or heaviest squirrel. Adults also get cash prizes, first place being $200, and so on. Squirrels will get murdered so some idiot can win a bit of cash. This is hideous! This is barbaric.

Important to say: What are you (the sponsors) teaching the children -- that life is not valuable? What about being good stewards on our planet? That killing and suffering is acceptable?

Fireman have been known to be the "savers of lives" and the people you go to do good. This event puts firemen in an unfavorable light, especially in regard to the children's participation.

Holley Fire Department
7 Thomas Street
Holley, New York
For tickets or info:
www.holleyfire.com

Dennis Bauer: 585-638-6884
Wayne Moyer: 585-659-8063
Tina Reed: 585-638-6884

Holley is a small village near Rochester.
The mayor is John W. Kenney, Jr.
585-638-6367
They have a guestbook on the ↑ site; I signed. Comments have to be approved, so I was nice at first, then zinged.

Reactions: KLS52
Thank you everyone for all your help! Need all the voices we can get.

Here's a facebook page against the whole thing:

http://www.facebook.com/events/471111966268962/471488736231285/?notif_t=event_mall_comment

And here's an ad they are running for the whole thing... At least it seems to list new phone numbers?

uQpyXsD.jpg

Reactions: ledboots