US Marissa Mayer’s Yahoo ban on work at home

beancounter

The Fire That Burns Within
Reaction score
http://www.boston.com/dailydose/201...uggests-not/UVQFRlwnW11aMSAkD7sGpL/story.html

So you can find articles about this in almost every new outlet.

What do you think? Personally I think it's much-ado about nothing for the majority of people. Sure, there are those who rely on being able to work from home because of child related issues, and there are a few Yahoo employees who were telecomuting hundreds of miles from the home office, but mostly it was a boondogle convenience.

I think yahoo needs to consider allowing exceptions on a case by case basis, but beyond that, they should stick to their pronouncement.

I remember tech companies/IT departments from the 90's.

They've had it too easy for too long. It's about time they come down to earth like the rest of us.:p .

I've worked from home on a number of occasions. The novelty wears off pretty quickly, when you actually have to get work done...

http://www.boston.com/dailydose/201...uggests-not/UVQFRlwnW11aMSAkD7sGpL/story.html

So you can find articles about this in almost every new outlet.

What do you think? Personally I think it's much-ado about nothing for the majority of people. Sure, there are those who rely on being able to work from home because of child related issues, and there are a few Yahoo employees who were telecomuting hundreds of milsa from the home office, but mostly it was a boondogle convenience.

I think yahoo needs to consider allowing exceptions on a case by case basis, but beyond that, they should stick to their pronouncement.
How nice that the CEO built an in-office nursery for her own baby. Hypocritical much?

Unless they have on-site daycare for the plebes, too, then it isn't so ridiculous.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...6e75c6-805b-11e2-a350-49866afab584_story.html

My job is slowly moving in this direction. We will likely always have a home base / office - but working from home is not something that is frowned upon. I'm in IT at a hospital - currently they are making plans to move us offsite as it is - to make necessary room for more clinical space. Once that happens and we're physically away from our customers (clinical staff) then what difference will it make to work from home when we can always remote in? Meetings are moving more in the direction of web / video conferencing.

Though I welcome the change, I don't really enjoy working from home - mostly because working off a laptop all day is not an ideal set up. If I was going to do it on a regular basis I'd make one of the rooms in the house an office and buy a larger monitor and keyboard.

My job is slowly moving in this direction. We will likely always have a home base / office - but working from home is not something that is frowned upon. I'm in IT at a hospital - currently they are making plans to move us offsite as it is - to make necessary room for more clinical space. Once that happens and we're physically away from our customers (clinical staff) then what difference will it make to work from home when we can always remote in? Meetings are moving more in the direction of web / video conferencing.

Though I welcome the change, I don't really enjoy working from home - mostly because working off a laptop all day is not an ideal set up. If I was going to do it on a regular basis I'd make one of the rooms in the house an office and buy a larger monitor and keyboard.
The hospital I work at has most of the night IT people work from home, except a few hardware cowboys. They hate coming to the floor, so we give them coffee and a cookie. :)

Reactions: Dedalus
I think legislation should be enacted requiring all companies who can to have as many workers as possible work from home at least four days a week. Get those cars off the roads!

:yes: It would save on energy consumption generally - it's not as though houses are unheated/un-air conditioned while people are at the office. More people working from home means fewer office buildings using resources.

Reactions: ledboots
The hospital I work at has most of the night IT people work from home, except a few hardware cowboys. They hate coming to the floor, so we give them coffee and a cookie. :)

That is awfully nice of you! We don't get that kind of treatment here. (Of course - what are the odds that someone is going to bake vegan cookies anyway? But java? Yeah!

Reactions: ledboots
It's not just parents who need to save the time-suck of travel . . .

Personally, the next job I take will require me to be physically present at work. I've done the work from home thing for years and it's overrated. Plus, if your job can be done from home, that means it can also likely be done from China or India. Tired of that stress after losing one job and now again my job status being up in the air.