Lotions and toiletries

Calliegirl

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Has anyone made their own hand or body lotion? Lip balms? Other toiletries?

I would love to make my own lotion, but haven't really found a good recipe. Does anyone have one they've tried? How about lip balm?

I make my own lip balm with candelilla wax and I just invented a lip and cheek stain made with beetroot powder and ale vera gel. It works like benetint. I also make body scrubs with sugar and oil (and cocoa powder)

I am also experimenting with darkening my hair by mixing equal parts shampoo and cocoa powder--my hair is a bit darker.

I used to make my own deodorant but the PH of my body has changed since I started the menopause and it's not working like it should--I keep "overheating" but working on a better formula.

As for lotion--not really been succesful. Working on it though....

I have made body/face scrubs with oatmeal, ground almonds, avocado and soymilk...so much fun to use!
I currently use olive oil to remove makeup and sometimes use coconut oil to moisturize arms, legs and lips. Kind of boring, I suppose. It would be interesting to try and make an actual lotion.

I've been making my own super simple lotion with coconut oil and essential oils. You can use coconut oil as is and it's great for you skin but I find if you whip it with whatever your favourite essential oil is it smells really nice and it has a better consistency.

I just ordered some emulsifying wax so I can make the lotion using the recipe from tipnut. I have some red palm oil I've been unsure of what to use it for, I think I'm going to try it in the lotion. It's supposed to be great for your skin.

I made a batch of lotion and it was unbelievably easy. It took five minutes to make and a few hours to set. I didn't have a glass jar to pour it into though, so I had to use a large coffee mug.

lotion (600 x 450).jpg

^In the mug, it looks like soymilk or somethin' :p
Was it the tipnut recipe? I will have to look into it more as I'd really like to get away from "commercial" products, even if only a little bit.

Yes, it was their recipe...
1/4 cup oil (I used olive oil)
1/4 cup emulsifying wax (I got some from Etsy for a really good price)
1 1/4 cup water
optional: a few drops essential oil

Just heat up the oil and wax together in a glass cup/container until the wax melts. I did it in the microwave, but you can use a double boiler too. Heat the water until boiling, or close too it. Then just pour one into the other. I poured the wax/oil mixture into the water. Stir it up, and let it set. Give it an occasional stir or shake (depending on the container used) and it will solidify as it cools.

Reactions: Rosie1
What is the shelf life of lotion like that? I'd love to make that coffee one. how does the lotion feel--"whippy" like fluffy or oily greasy?

I also use olive oil to wash my face followed by orange blossom water or rose water depending on the season.

The person posting one of the recipes says it has about a 3 month shelf life, but that depends on a few things, like how clean your equipment is, etc.

It has a pretty creamy feel, slightly oily, but it absorbs quickly. Here's a picture showing the consistency a little better.

lotion_closeup(500 x 375).jpg

I make a face scrub that is edible--2 TB each desicated coconut, almond meal, demerara sugar and enough vegetable glycerine to make it moist. it is scrubs your skin well and my face feels amazing after. Plus you can lick it off your lips and hands when you are done. heh heh