Los angeles possibly mandating vegan options at theaters

Sure. but how is that a priority? How about a vegan protein option for school lunches?
I think LA Unified has adopted Meatless Monday. So maybe I should just shut up.

Reactions: TofuRobot
Well actually lots of people go to theaters in LA especially tourist areas and the dinner style theaters for locals. Where I live now you order vegan hot dogs as well as popcorn and candy and we are MUCH smaller than LA. I personally think it's high time they do this though LA in general tends to be more vegan friendly than many cities I like a city mandate.

@Lou I agree with you on school lunches. However Los Angeles is the ONLY place I know of in the US with a vegan elementary school and a vegan secondary school. Correct me if I'm wrong. Also mandatory veganism in schools is more controversial than in private business who serve adults. Because of my educational background I know how easy it is for parents to get climate change banned from schools never mind veganism.

Mandating an vegan option =/= mandatory veganism.
In the absence of an vegan option, you have 'mandatory carnivore-ism.' ...Do you not?

(I joke about going to the theater and the food cuz I can barely remember the last time I went, and for years, I've never bought anything from the concession stand. I freely admit I'm not normal. ...It [vegan options in all theaters) might not be a priority, but I still think it's pretty cool. Hearing about this kind of thing gives me hope. :) )

Last edited:
I agree with you on school lunches. However Los Angeles is the ONLY place I know of in the US with a vegan elementary school and a vegan secondary school.

As far as I know, the only totally vegan school in So Cal is a small private school named MUSE. but I think that is old news.

However many schools in LAUSD have gone to Meatless Mondays. The school district supports it but it remains an individual schools decision. I would like to see a vegan option on the menu every day of the week. But I imagine the smart vegans don't care. The vegan moms just make their vegan kids a good lunch. The HS girls with the green hair probably pack hummus and chips and eat them under the bleachers while smoking Spirits and drinking diet Pepsi.

I go to the movies about once a month. Last time I went to the movies I had a soy latte. I was doubly impressed. Not only did they have almond, coconut and soy milk - but they didn't charge extra like Starbucks does. They are building a new theater about a ten minute walk from my house. It will be a super fancy theatre so I'm not sure if it will be my first choice.

Reactions: Forest Nymph
although it's highly processed garbage and probably poisoning my body

I appreciate that theaters haven't used animal sourced butter for popcorn in many a year

although it's highly processed garbage and probably poisoning my body

I appreciate that theaters haven't used animal sourced butter for popcorn in many a year

Actually I'm not sure you're going to get poisoned by eating popcorn or a vegan hot dog once a month or even once a week. Seems exaggerated.

Also some of the LA theaters are full service dinner theaters. I saw Gatsby in one of them. The vegan options are still more limited there. It seems fair for them to add vegan meal options. Maybe two. Vegans are mostly left ordering appetizers or fries there. There should be like a veggie burger and maybe an Asian style pasta dish.

Reactions: Lou
As far as I know, the only totally vegan school in So Cal is a small private school named MUSE. but I think that is old news.

However many schools in LAUSD have gone to Meatless Mondays. The school district supports it but it remains an individual schools decision. I would like to see a vegan option on the menu every day of the week. But I imagine the smart vegans don't care. The vegan moms just make their vegan kids a good lunch. The HS girls with the green hair probably pack hummus and chips and eat them under the bleachers while smoking Spirits and drinking diet Pepsi.

I go to the movies about once a month. Last time I went to the movies I had a soy latte. I was doubly impressed. Not only did they have almond, coconut and soy milk - but they didn't charge extra like Starbucks does. They are building a new theater about a ten minute walk from my house. It will be a super fancy theatre so I'm not sure if it will be my first choice.

I am thinking of the Kindred Spirits animal care group partnership with high schools in Reseda and Canoga Park. The kids garden and help care for the animals. I guess technically it's not a vegan school then.

There absolutely should be a vegan option every day. I agree. Kids can go vegan without their parents so it would benefit them greatly. It would also open other kids minds like they'd try it.

Reactions: TofuRobot and Lou
Actually I'm not sure you're going to get poisoned by eating popcorn or a vegan hot dog once a month or even once a week. Seems exaggerated.

Also some of the LA theaters are full service dinner theaters. I saw Gatsby in one of them. The vegan options are still more limited there. It seems fair for them to add vegan meal options. Maybe two. Vegans are mostly left ordering appetizers or fries there. There should be like a veggie burger and maybe an Asian style pasta dish.

I'm getting one of those theatres near me. They are still building it. I'm sure I'll go once just so I can say I did it.

I am thinking of the Kindred Spirits animal care group partnership with high schools in Reseda and Canoga Park. The kids garden and help care for the animals. I guess technically it's not a vegan school then.

Well as long as they don't eat the animals.

The HS girls with the green hair probably pack hummus and chips
You mean "the cool HS kids...". I've had every imaginable color of hair. All while in my 40s, and haven't had a Pepsi since i was 21.

One if the only exceptions to my no oil diet is coconut oil on popcorn. Why people haven't woken up to that yet is crazy!

• Haha
You mean "the cool HS kids...". I've had every imaginable color of hair. All while in my 40s, and haven't had a Pepsi since i was 21.

One if the only exceptions to my no oil diet is coconut oil on popcorn. Why people haven't woken up to that yet is crazy!
Thanks for commenting on that line. I put that line in there to be funny and to get a response from someone. I was getting worried that no one noticed it at all.

ah, I was only referring to the fake butter topping

those hydrogenated HFCS and salty oils :mask:

It's a step forward I guess... What would really be great is if EVERYTHING was vegan on the menu.

I also agree with Lou about vegan school meals.

So, moving back on topic.

It's not just movie theatres!

"Los Angeles residents may soon be eating more tofu with their entertainment. A proposed city law would require movie theaters, sports stadiums, the Los Angeles Zoo, Los Angeles International Airport restaurants and other large-scale entertainment venues to sell at least one vegan protein option."
- https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/los-angeles-wants-to-be-the-best-city-for-vegans

So, moving back on topic.

It's not just movie theatres!

"Los Angeles residents may soon be eating more tofu with their entertainment. A proposed city law would require movie theaters, sports stadiums, the Los Angeles Zoo, Los Angeles International Airport restaurants and other large-scale entertainment venues to sell at least one vegan protein option."
- https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/los-angeles-wants-to-be-the-best-city-for-vegans
That's so awesome! I just wish they would stop perpetuating the idea that tofu is the only other place to get protein, and the overall obsession with protein in general. I seriously never concern myself with how much protein I'm getting. EVER.

But still, YAY!.