Los Angeles City Council bans the use of bullhooks on circus elephants

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
L.A. moves to ban use of bullhooks on circus elephants
A unanimous City Council vote paves the way for an ordinance outlawing sharp-tipped tools used by animal trainers. A three-year grace period upsets many in attendance.

By Catherine Saillant
October 24, 2013

The Los Angeles City Council took action Wednesday to ban bullhooks used by elephant trainers in traveling circuses, becoming the first U.S. metropolis to outlaw a tool that critics say inflicts pain.

Voting unanimously, the council asked the city attorney's office to prepare an ordinance outlawing the use of the bullhook, a sharp-tipped tool used to train and keep elephants under control. Baseball bats, ax handles, pitchforks and other implements used on the pachyderms would also be banned.

In a concession to Councilman Gil Cedillo, however, the council agreed to give circuses three years to either change how they handle elephants or remove them from shows altogether.

http://www.latimes.com/local/la-me-elephant-hook-ban-20131024,0,2674257.story#axzz2iy3eqJzg

I didn't realize they were still going to be able to use them for three years. :(