Living with non vegan bf

gloaming

Newcomer
Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to this board and have a question. Years ago I was a healthy vegan but stopped. Now I'm back on the wagon (as of two days ago), so to speak, to improve my failing health. Problem is, I'm now living with a man who LOVES meat. He refuses to give the lifestyle a try.

So how do you go about being vegan when your partner isn't? I do all the cooking, and he doesn't mind the occasional vegan meal, but he's a meat-lover. Do I have to cook two separate meals each night?

Thanks in advance!

Hi! I'm new to this board and have a question. Years ago I was a healthy vegan but stopped. Now I'm back on the wagon (as of two days ago), so to speak, to improve my failing health. Problem is, I'm now living with a man who LOVES meat. He refuses to give the lifestyle a try.

So how do you go about being vegan when your partner isn't? I do all the cooking, and he doesn't mind the occasional vegan meal, but he's a meat-lover. Do I have to cook two separate meals each night?

Thanks in advance!
Hi and welcome. :) I have this blog bookmarked when a poster mentioned it as having helped her. Vegetarians & Carnivores Living Together | Kitchen Treaty

Welcome to the board!
And good luck with your new lifestyle, your health, and your relationship!

Hahahaha!!! Love it!
Always happy to amuse :)

Was going to do a "ban him from going a'roaming in the gloaming privileges untill he changes his mind" type quip but, quite frankly, I just didn't have the balls.

Welcome to the forum and congrats for returning to the light side of the farce, btw :)

My husband is vegetarian and I am 70 percent their. The main thing is to respect each others choices. I would say do not try to force him. He is going to continue to resist. Just stay consistent with what you are doing. Even if he does not come around he will respect you for doing what you believe in despite what others are doing. There is the 70+ lady that is raw vegan and her husband was a butcher. She made separate meals in the beginning, however, after a while he had to make his own meals. They have been married for over 50 years...now he regrets not following her lead...Life is strange sometimes.

I actually started eating vegan a few weeks ago because a woman I was talking to told me about how great being vegan was (I was already pescetarian). I had so much fun cooking a vegan meal for our date as well as vegan meals for myself and my brother that now I've decided to keep eating vegan, even though she decided that she wasn't interested in me. Gotta make the best of what life gives you!

I am vegetarian and my bf loves meat. I'll cook something for both of us maybe once a week and we'll have a sit-down meal together. The rest of the time he makes his own dinner and I make my own. Sometimes we'll share a frozen pizza or get take-out. I'll often make "anytime" food like soup and put it in the fridge for both of us in case we want something for lunch or for a snack. He'll help himself to that sometimes. I would love for us to eat the same meals every day but he prefers to do his own thing.