Literature List of must read books?

I'm so glad we have das_nut here to explain to us what *good* gender and sci-fi books are. Because we all know that women can't be objective when it comes to these things, and just don't know what good literature is in general.

The handmaid's tale really affected me. I found it particularly relevant, as I read it during this past electoral season. I thought it was really, really frightening, because so much of it rang true for me.

das_nut will probably now tell me I'm reading it wrong and doing feminism wrong now, I'm sure.

Reactions: Renee1
Other books I recommend:

Tess of the D'Urbervilles (but it's sad, so be warned)
The Light that Failed (also sad)
Pillars of the Earth (historical fiction)
The Narnia Series...just because :p

:/ I'm not feeling good about this, I can't see how the story would come across well on screen. I bet it is hugely changed.

I will see it though and try to keep an open mind :)
i hear ya...i always have huge forebodings about books to movie translations however in this case, it's ANG LEE! everything he does is golden, imo. :p

the reason i'm more excited about this film than any other is because of the awesome coincidence that my #1 favorite movie is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and now, years later, my #1 favorite book is being directed by the one and same man who directed my favorite movie!

so yeah, please dear Mr. Ang Lee, please just stick to the story (with some CGI help), and hopefully we'll have a winner!

i hear ya...i always have huge forebodings about books to movie translations however in this case, it's ANG LEE! everything he does is golden, imo. :p

the reason i'm more excited about this film than any other is because of the awesome coincidence that my #1 favorite movie is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and now, years later, my #1 favorite book is being directed by the one and same man who directed my favorite movie!

so yeah, please dear Mr. Ang Lee, please just stick to the story (with some CGI help), and hopefully we'll have a winner!

That's another thing, I can't imagine a CGI Richard Parker being at all convincing, it will feel like a kids' movie even if it isn't intended to be. But I would have ethical issues with a real RP too, of course...

That's another thing, I can't imagine a CGI Richard Parker being at all convincing, it will feel like a kids' movie even if it isn't intended to be. But I would have ethical issues with a real RP too, of course...
deh tigah lookin' pretty real, mon. :)

As an avid reader, I'm finding it terribly difficult to recommend anything to anyone without knowing them. It's easier if someone comes to me and asks what book by a certain author they should start with or gives me some credentials for what they're looking for. Nothing comes to mind for a YOU MUST READ THIS. I'm saddened by this.

deh tigah lookin' pretty real, mon. :)

"For the magnificent tiger, which truly is frightening, Lee in fact worked with four animals, filming a whole library of movements and facial expressions for the digital artists to use as reference points.
(It’s a little bit disappointing to learn that Suraj Sharma, the young actor who plays Pi with great conviction, was never actually alone in a boat with the beast.)"

Hmm, want to know a bit more about this before I see it.

"For the magnificent tiger, which truly is frightening, Lee in fact worked with four animals, filming a whole library of movements and facial expressions for the digital artists to use as reference points.
(It’s a little bit disappointing to learn that Suraj Sharma, the young actor who plays Pi with great conviction, was never actually alone in a boat with the beast.)"

Hmm, want to know a bit more about this before I see it.
it would be a whole lot disappointing to learn that Suraj Sharma was mauled to death while alone in the boat with the beast.

i googled every combination of Life of Pi movie animal welfare rating
trying to determine if the filming of the animals movements and facial expressions was actually done on a boat. it seems to me that this would be impractical as they could easily film them in their natural habitat or from a reserve or a zoo.

did come up with this:
It took Ang Lee more than three years to bring Life of Pi to the big screen. Since Life of Pi was Mr. Lee’s first 3D film project, he said that there were many technical challenges that he encountered, in which he learned to overcome during the production of the movie. The wild animals, including the Bengal tiger, in the film were computer-generated and appeared extremely realistic. Mr. Lee noted that the film adaptation of Life of Pi would have been impossible to make five years ago, without the current advancements in CGI technology.
http://www.jaynestars.com/news/ang-lees-life-of-pi-generates-early-oscar-buzz/

^ Is Life of Pi a tearjerker? I have always heard of that book but never really investigated and I don't want to read the review on Amazon in case someone gives too much of the storyline away.

^ Is Life of Pi a tearjerker? I have always heard of that book but never really investigated and I don't want to read the review on Amazon in case someone gives too much of the storyline away.
yes, it does have it's tearjerking moments, but it's a triumphant story of survival on every level: physical, mental and spiritual.
Pi is such a lovable boy/man and some of his experiences mirror some of our own journeys.
but ultimately, it's about the soul searching of a life, the pain and grief of loss and how one deals with it to carry on.

I'm so glad we have das_nut here to explain to us what *good* gender and sci-fi books are. Because we all know that women can't be objective when it comes to these things, and just don't know what good literature is in general.

When did I make a statement about what gender and SF books were good?

I made a statement about Margaret Atwood and urinals, but I was referencing a quote by a notable SF author that you seem to be unaware of.

Did you misinterpret my post?

If you strip the story away it's tragic, but Pi has such a unique outlook on life and such an amusing narrative voice that it makes you smile constantly.

das_nut will probably now tell me I'm reading it wrong and doing feminism wrong now, I'm sure.

You are doing it wrong.

If you should blame him for anything, then it's just of being an elitist.

I've been a fan of Henry David Thoreau, especially his Walden. Its a bit old (mid-1800's) but it tells of his life in the woods, where he contemplates society and writes about nature. I would recommend the annotated edition, as Thoreau makes a lot of references.

Also, Mark Twain's The Mysterious Stranger made me think differently about life and the universe. That's all I'm going to say about it, for fear of giving too much away . . .

Reactions: PTree15