Last Thing You Bought?

I bought a number of things recently.

A gas barbecue station, which is quite nice, and had us eating barbecue a lot recently.
My favourites so far are Beyond burgers - even better fresh from the barbecue than of my old contact grill (which already was not bad), self-made buffalo chicken pieces, and all kinds of wonderful vegan sausages available in Germany.

But we finally got to buy a new (used) car.
The family convocation made it resoundingly clear to me that my normal approach of buying a well preserved used car in the € 10,000 price range was no longer acceptable, so we set our sights higher and extended the budget to about € 30,000.
The main idea was that both my wife and myself are now at an age where we should not wait any longer to finally get a “nice” car for ourselves (considering that we are not going to buy a lot more cars during our lifetimes).

While I am a great believer in electric cars, my wife is very traditional in that respect and obviously has a deathly fear of getting stranded somewhere with an empty battery, and freeze to death in a blizzard or encounter another similarly likely horror scenario that fans of internal combustion engines never get tired of making up…

So I was very happy that she was willing to agree to a compromise in the shape of a Diesel/electric hybrid with a 12 kWh battery that allows electric trips up to about 45 kilometers, before the Diesel engine is needed at all.

Second best thing is the very nice vegan leather that is standard in the interior, and the awesome driver aides like the radar-controlled cruise control that automatically stops the car if the car driving in front of you stops.

So far, in the month we have had the car now, we have traveled about 550 km, 530 of these on electric power only, as our daily commute is well within the range of the battery. I hope that I can use this to convince my wife of the joys of electric driving.

IMG_3478.jpegIMG_3477.jpeg

Last edited:
I bought a number of things recently.

A gas barbecue station, which is quite nice, and had us eating barbecue a lot recently.
My favourites so far are Beyond burgers - even better fresh from the barbecue than of my old contact grill (which already was not bad), self-made buffalo chicken pieces, and all kinds of wonderful vegan sausages available in Germany.

But we finally got to buy a new (used) car.
The family convocation made it resoundingly clear to me that my normal approach of buying a well preserved used car in the € 10,000 price range was no longer acceptable, so we set our sights higher and extended the budget to about € 30,000.
The main idea was that both my wife and myself are now at an age where we should not wait any longer to finally get a “nice” car for ourselves (considering that we are not going to buy a lot more cars during our lifetimes).

While I am a great believer in electric cars, my wife is very traditional in that respect and obviously has a deathly fear of getting stranded somewhere with an empty battery, and freeze to death in a blizzard or encounter another similarly likely horror scenario that fans of internal combustion engines never get tired of making up…

So I was very happy that she was willing to agree to a compromise in the shape of a Diesel/electric hybrid with a 12 kWh battery that allows electric trips up to about 45 kilometers, before the Diesel engine is needed at all.

Second best thing is the very nice vegan leather that is standard in the interior, and the awesome driver aides like the radar-controlled cruise control that automatically stops the car if the car driving in front of you stops.

So far, in the month we have had the car now, we have traveled about 550 km, 530 of these on electric power only, as our daily commute is well within the range of the battery. I hope that I can use this to convince my wife of the joys of electric driving.

View attachment 30617View attachment 30618
Loving that brick work as well!

• Agree
Reactions: PTree15
We bought a side board for the living room last week but it says it won't arrive until the 28th.

I want it to put the boys puzzles and games in.

I'm seriously having spending issues....just bought a propane grill! I kinda wanted one, but my son really wanted one so...I needed some mulch anyway and this was the last day of sale, so we went to Home Depot and got a small propane grill, and mulch.
Really hated to spend at Home Depot though, but dang it, it's often the only choice

• Friendly
I got a new refrigerator! I found the best deal for what I wanted at Lowe's. It's a white Frigidaire with a top freezer and wire shelves. I was really happy for the wire shelves because glass ones are such a pain to clean and keep condensation-free. They are extra thick and seemed very sturdy.

My current fridge is black, which matches the dishwasher and microwave, but the stove is white. I decided I will eventually have all white appliances. I think it brightens up the kitchen a bit. And the stove and fridge are near each other, so I'm happy they will match. It's coming tomorrow morning. :)

• Love
Reactions: Chryssie and silva
LACTIC ACID!
I've kept myself from buying this "must have" for vegan cheeses and finally broke down and bought it. I already had citric acid, which I got mostly for skin care, and I found lactic acid also is great for skin. It's also great for cheese flavor!
Yes. It really does add that "something" to make vegan cheese taste more like cheese--far more than nooch, IMO
I'm gonna make this now:

• Informative
I bought some fridge organising boxes from Amazon as well as some cooking tongs for pasta etc...

A washing machine! I knew the one that was in the house was old and nearing it's end, and now it stopped spinning.
I bought a GE that's as basic as I could get from Costco. Wanted an agitator and one that didn't lock the lid right off!