Last Thing You Bought?

Vegan sneakers!

Do people in Florida use the work "sneaker"? I grew up with sneakers but when I moved to California it was like no one knew what they were.

I still say sneakers. I’m not in Florida though lol. Formerly New Yorker and now a...Connecticut-er? Somehow that doesn’t sound right lol 😂 Maybe it’s New Englander? I’ll have to Google it.

What are people from Connecticut called?

According to Merriam-Webster, a person who is a native or resident of Connecticut is a 'Connecticuter'.
link
Definition of CONNECTICUTER

There are numerous other terms in print, but not in use, such as:
'Connecticotian' - Cotton Mather in 1702.
'Connecticutensian' - Samuel Peters in 1781.
'Nutmegger' is sometimes used. It is derived from the nickname, the Nutmeg State, based on the practice of the Connecticut peddlers who traveled about selling nutmegs.
link
Connecticotian – Cez'L

Do people in Florida use the work "sneaker"? I grew up with sneakers but when I moved to California it was like no one knew what they were.

Really? It must be the area of California where you moved to. I grew up in Los Angeles, and I’m very familiar with “sneakers”, and it seems everyone else here is, too.

I don't know what else to call them! Athletic shoes? Running shoes? The slang was "kicks" at some point but who knows what it is now!

The shoes have gone by a variety of names, depending on geography and changing over the decades. The term "sneakers" is most commonly used in Northeastern United States, Central and South Florida,[6][7] New Zealand, and parts of Canada.​
I grew up in NY and that is what we called them. but when I moved to the west coast no one called them that.

Florida and LA have a lot of people from the NE so maybe it migrated.

Never really thought about it much before but now I think it's interesting.

Reactions: Chryssie and KLS52
My whole life in Cleveland they've been tennis shoes, which is funny, because we always wore Converse, obviously basketball shoes. No one really played tennis, although we did have free lessons at the elementary school one summer

Reactions: Chryssie and KLS52
That is what they say here. although running shoe is very popular too.

We called them tennis shoes back in the 1960’s, but at some point the name morphed into sneakers. And flip flops we used to call rubber sandals. If I used the phrase rubber sandals now, people unfamiliar with the phrase would think of something entirely different.

Finally bought a little handheld vacuum! Toddlers are constantly getting crumbs on the floor and I'm sick of getting out the big hoover multiple times a day.😂

Also looking forward to hoovering my car.

Reactions: Chryssie and shyvas
I have a handheld vacuum and I use it all the time for crumbs and kitty messes! I hate dragging out the heavy machine!
That's interesting. I find my vacuum very impractical and I oftentimes hurt my toes whilst using it because I'm tired and clumsy. How effective the handheld vacuum is compared to a normal one?