Label reading

Remi

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
For stuff like crisps, cakes, biscuits etc.

I've heard Oreo's were vegan, read the ingredients and they seemed fine, but on the website and they said that they may have been cross-contaminated. I think all products like this have some sort of risk of having traces of dairy so in order for them to not get sued they say that there may be traces of in it.

Labels have gotten a lot better and it's easier to spot the ingredients you don't want, any tips or advice?

As long as I can't find animal ingredients on the label I'm fine purchasing It's not like your Oreo's are going to have milk within them, the cross contamination warning is just there because other Oreo's that contain milk are made in the same factory.

I saw a packet or nuts that had the same warning in once.

One thing you should be aware of... Is that there is a bit of debate on palm oil on whether it's vegan or not, which you're able to find in a lot of products, technically it comes from a plant so it's technically vegan but then again forests are being destroyed to obtain the oil which is destroying animal homes either killing in the process or leaving for dead, I personally try to avoid palm oil.

But it's your choice, if you want to read more about it here's a link http://www.saynotopalmoil.com/index.php

Also, if you have a smart phone you can download an app which scans a products bar code and will tell you if what you have just scanned is vegetarian or vegan.

Search for "is it vegan" on your app store or click here if you have an Apple phone or here if you have an Android phone.