Kombucha thread!

das_nut

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I've been brewing kombucha at home. It's $3.50+ in the stores, for a 16 oz bottle, while I can make a gallon for the cost of a cup of sugar and eight black tea bags, plus a little time.

So far it has been working well for me. My main mother is in a very large glass beverage dispenser. Just in case I kill the mother, I started a backup mother in a small glass caning jar that is looking good.

I've probably gotten about 3 gallons of finished Kombucha so far. I've been using old glass GT Kombucha jars for bottling, but I wouldn't mind some fancy clear glass ez-cap bottles.

So anyone else been doing this?

I adore kombucha but making my own seems like an awful lot of work and I'm afraid I would end up poisoning myself somehow.

I adore kombucha but making my own seems like an awful lot of work and I'm afraid I would end up poisoning myself somehow.

I haven't killed myself yet, and this house is ground zero for cat hair, so it's far from a sterile environment.

It's pretty easy. I use a container that has a sprout at the bottom, but you can do it in any glass container. The worst part is making the replacement tea, and most of that is just waiting for the brewed tea to cool down to room temperature.

I made it once and after a sip my lips and mouth itched, so I threw it and the scoby away.