Kale love

Wow. I'd grown up with collards in Ohio, many friends had southern roots, but even my older relatives all grew them. I hadn't heard of kale until I started shopping at a NFS, and on VB!

Collards are big, dark green, flat and somewhat thick leaves. They cook down just like kale, but are always tender, and I never have to remove the stems.
Kale is often fibrous, and harder to chew. I always chop it well when I cook it, but I prefer it in raw in a salad, or baked as chips.
Collards I steam with with just enough water to boil off when cooked, then mix with sauteed onions and garlic. Sometimes I add liquid smoke to the water. I'd say a direct sub for kale.

I adore collards and I grow them also! I cook them like you do but I also add some crushed red pepper and use a low sodium vegan onion base powder to cook them in. Oh, and I add cider vinegar to them while they're cooking. Kale is okay but I only like the lacinato variety. The curly stuff is too chewy for my taste.

I like to make kale/black bean/potato soup. It's such a good winter soup! Nice and brothy and you put in a few hot pepper flakes for a little extra kick.