Music Jazz, Blues, Soul, & Funk

Bobby Rush, I Can't Find My Keys.

The Nashville Scene calls this song "a classic bit of funk neurosis."

Just heard this on the "Blues Night" edition of Nightside on local public radio. Featuring Wynton Marsalis, Eric Clapton, & Taj Mahal... live... and they've got some seriously sweet Dixieland sh*t happenin'.... :cool:

Last edited:
Hate "traditional" Christmas tunes, been waitin' for someone to play this, & The World Café just closed with it... used to sing a version of it myself. :cool:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And the Nightside host (local) surprised me just now... I swear, I thought it was a Djanjo/Benny team-up or something! Now this take on a tired holiday tune I can dig....

This is some jumpin' sweetness!

Last edited:
For MLK Day, Max Roach (one of the greatest jazz drummers of all time) & a "duet" of sorts....

RIP, Max... and RIP Martin Luther King, Jr.... always. :rose:

Last edited:
A New Box Set Challenges the Conventional Wisdom About Miles Davis and John Coltrane

9200000087055128.jpg

Reactions: PTree15 and silva
I’ve had to downsize my considerable entertainment media collection to fit in a small studio apartment, and it’s making me very unhappy. One of the vinyl albums I decided to part with is “Street Life”, the very popular 1970’s jazz album from The Crusaders. But that’s okay, because I can buy the digital version on iTunes or at another site. Last night, I opened up the Amazon Prime Music app and listened to the wonderful title track with Randy Crawford’s delicious vocals. Be warned: This is the extended album length version, which clocks in at a little over 11 minutes. But it’s worth it. Pour yourself a glass of wine, sit back and enjoy.

Duke Ellington's 'Such Sweet Thunder' - Shakespeare and jazz

Ellington’s Such Sweet Thunder consists of eleven numbers, each of which is linked to Shakespearean characters:

“Such Sweet Thunder” [Othello]
“Sonnet for Caesar” [Julius Caesar]
“Sonnet to Hank Cinq” [Henry V]
“Lady Mac” [Lady Macbeth]
“Sonnet in Search of a Moor” [Othello]
“The Telecasters” [The Three Witches and Iago]
“Up and Down, Up and Down, I Will Lead Them (Up and Down)” [Puck]
“Sonnet for Sister Kate” [Katherine]
“The Star-Crossed Lovers” [Romeo and Juliet]
“Madness in Great Ones” [Hamlet]
“Half the Fun” [Cleopatra]

A final number, “Circle of Fourths,” added later, offers a musical tribute to Shakespeare himself

Reactions: Val
This could've gone in another thread 'cuz it's stuck in my head.... I finally found out what that clavi-synthy-dirty-funky tune was featured in Ant Man... it's by the freakin' Commodores! :cool:

Reactions: PTree15 and Val