Music Jazz, Blues, Soul, & Funk

MadamSarcastra

MadamSarcastra, over & out.
Reaction score
I realize this thread may not be visited by many others, but I felt compelled to start it on the 50th anniversary of John Coltrane's death.... he passed away on July 17th, 1967.

Last edited:
If you visit the website on Youtube there is a listing of the Top 100 Best Blues songs (not my list), as well as the music video.

Etta James is Number 1.

Reactions: Val
If you visit the website on Youtube there is a listing of the Top 100 Best Blues songs (not my list), as well as the music video.

Etta James is Number 1.

Yeah, that's the over-played classic. Great tune, but SO overdone. THIS one (same chord structure) is much lesser known and , in my opinion, better....

I used to sing that... and sometimes this one:

I've been an Etta James fan for a LONG time, have the collected works, read the biography.... Continue to R.I.P., Jamesetta.... :rose:

Can't go make food until I post some killer Re.... she & Etta were contemporaries... in the bio Etta called Aretha Re....

This is off an excellent album... I got it on CD in a discount bin for $5. It was worth far more. I used to do this song, loved it....

You may notice a pattern.... I tend (and tended) to go with lesser-known songs. Hell, somebody's gotta let folks know about the NON-radio sh*t! :cool:

And since I'm listening to this right now in the kitchen, I'll share. Some truly funky Stevie Wonder!! Even the background vocals are Stevie.... I think, if I had to choose an overall fave, he's it. This is Stevie doin' dirty funk.... (please don't post Superstition, I'm not kidding, LOL :p)

Ooop, and now it's this. I've got my phone on the "Funk Off" playlist.... :dance:

Last edited:
Just trying to make a mental list here.... I have collected work from certain favorite artists, most on CD, not on my phone... need to search for them.

Collections of:
  • Robert Johnson
  • Bessie Smith
  • Benny Goodman
  • B.B. King
  • Ella Fitzgerald
  • Dinah Washington
  • Etta James
  • Billie Holiday
  • Aretha Franklin
  • Stevie Wonder
  • Jimi Hendrix
  • Janis Joplin
  • Eric Clapton
  • Stevie Ray Vaughn
  • Bela Fleck (and the Flecktones)
  • Django Reinhardt (with Stephan Grappelli)
  • Got a mix of stuff with Duke Ellington, Thelonius Monk, John Coltrane, Miles Davis, Stan Getz, Chet Baker, Dexter Gordon, et al....
  • Another one with all blues legends....
---- This is a running list for me to refer to so I can search for my missing music... in boxes, bags, the back room, the garage, etc....

Last edited:
This song was on the Top 100 Blues list. But I don't think it is a blues song. At any rate it is a great song, so I'm gonna include it here. Also, the video that was supposed to go with the blues list was unavailable, so I found another video.

Reactions: PTree15