News ISIS takes Mosul

Very optimistic predictions like that link are rarely proven correct. Most experts I've read agree that United States oil production will start dropping sometime this decade. We'll be more dependent on Middle Eastern oil than ever.
http://online.wsj.com/news/articles...0001424052702303277704579348332283819314.html
Oil companies are struggling. Apparently they're not finding all of the oil that we allegedly have.
sorry I can't read your link because I'm not a subscriber to the wsj.

"WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. is urgently deploying several hundred armed troops in and around Iraq and considering sending an additional contingent of special forces soldiers as Baghdad struggles to repel a rampant insurgency, even as the White House insists anew that America will not be dragged into another war.

President Barack Obama notified Congress on Monday that up to 275 troops could be sent to Iraq to provide support and security for U.S. personnel and the American Embassy in Baghdad. About 170 of those forces have already arrived and another 100 soldiers will be on standby in a nearby country until they are needed, a U.S. official said.

While Obama has vowed to keep U.S. forces out of combat in Iraq, he said in his notification to Congress that the personnel moving into the region are equipped for direct fighting.

And separately, three U.S. officials said the White House was considering sending a contingent of special forces soldiers to Iraq. Their limited mission — which has not yet been approved — would focus on training and advising beleaguered Iraqi troops, many of whom have fled their posts across the nation's north and west as the al-Qaida-inspired insurgency has advanced in the worst threat to the country since American troops left in 2011." http://bigstory.ap.org/article/us-embassy-baghdad-send-some-personnel-out
:(

Why?!?!? I selfishly hope my marine nephew doesn't get deployed there. :`(

A couple hundred troops against
upyregu3.jpg

A couple hundred troops against
upyregu3.jpg

Against the results of allowing people the right to bear arms so they may form a well regulated militia?

Quite honestly I find it very un-American not to allow these people to get on with whatever it is that they are doing.

It does seem logical, though, that if people bearing arms have formed a militia that you don't feel is well regulated .. Then it's probably fair to send a better regulated militia in to kill them.

Last edited:
I have to wonder about Sadam Hussain over this.

He was supposed to have been the trouble in Iraq.

There seems to be more trouble in Iraq without him than there was with him.

30,000 Iraqi's in the military running away from this small group of militants just seems odd to me. Almost unbelievable.

I guess Cheney had a letter recently criticizing Obama in regards to Iraq. It's possible he doesn't realize how bad he sounds.

30,000 Iraqi's in the military running away from this small group of militants just seems odd to me. Almost unbelievable.
If you've had to try and train them before, it doesn't seem as unbelievable.

A few hundred of our Marines or special forces would indeed put up a better fight.

My understanding is the Iraqi forces that were stationed in Mosul were all Shiites, whereas the inhabitants there are almost exclusively Sunni. ISIS is beating the drum of hatred against Shia Islam. And the Iraqi president has done nothing to bridge the gap between the two populations, in fact he's done his utmost to give advantages to the Shiite population ever since he was elected. So I guess as ISIS grew as a credible force against the Iraqi army, the population in Mosul and other cities increasingly sided with them. Additionally, ISIS has a reputation for being particularly cruel and merciless. All this contributed to a lack of courage / morale in the Iraqi army stationed in Sunni-dominated areas. Or at least that is what the news media says on the topic.

It's generally expected that US oil production will start dropping in 2016, plummeting shortly after. If there is another economic downturn next year it could happen next year. Iraq and Venezuela will have to produce a lot more oil to make up for it. It can't be stressed enough just how important these conflicts will be for future oil production.

It's generally expected that US oil production will start dropping in 2016, plummeting shortly after. If there is another economic downturn next year it could happen next year. Iraq and Venezuela will have to produce a lot more oil to make up for it. It can't be stressed enough just how important these conflicts will be for future oil production.
From wiki: "Since the oil price peaked about US$147.50 in summer 2008, many projects have been brought online. It takes a few years to develop an oil field.

In 2012 the oil production of the USA increased by 800,000 barrels, the highest ever recorded increase in one year since oil drilling began 1859.[citation needed] Oil-bearing shales in North Dakota and Montana are producing increasing amounts of oil.

As of April 2013, US crude production was at a more than 20-year high, since the shale gas and tight oil boom; production was near 7.2 million barrels per day. Experts think that the USA could pass Saudi Arabia as the largest oil producer.[6]"

Isis rebels declare 'Islamic State' in Iraq and Syria

Jihadist militant group Isis has said it is establishing a caliphate, or Islamic state, on the territories it controls in Iraq and Syria.

It also proclaimed the group's leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, as caliph and "leader for Muslims everywhere".

Setting up a state governed under strict Islamic law has long been a goal of many jihadists.

Meanwhile, Iraq's army continued an offensive to retake the northern city of Tikrit from the Isis-led rebels.

The city was seized by the insurgents on 11 June as they swept across large parts of north-western Iraq.

In a separate development, Israel called for the creation of an independent Kurdish state in response to the gain made by the Sunni rebels in Iraq.

Allegiance demand
The Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (Isis) announced the establishment of the caliphate in an audio recording posted on the internet on Sunday.

Oh, and for those who can't read between the lines, allow me to translate a somewhat tricky line of that article.

Politically Correct talk: "Iraq's army continued an offensive to retake the northern city of Tikrit from the Isis-led rebels."
English: "U.S. Special Forces and/or Marines continued an offensive to retake the northern city of Tikrit from the Isis-led rebels but let a few Iraqis stand in the front and have their picture taken because their superiors want you to believe that training them is worth the effort and that they're actually capable of doing something besides sitting and waiting to retreat at the first sign of trouble."

Reactions: ledboots
Well, if I understand correctly, supposedly the US only has approximately 300 soldiers there ... or in fact they called them "advisors". And some drones, but for protection only. That's what the news are telling us, anyway.

ISIS is not as strong in Syria. The al-Nusra front is more popular among islamists there. Maybe if the two islamist groups fought together they would stand a chance. The regime has powerful allies in Iran, Hezbollah and Russia.

The situation is different in Iraq though. They may have more success there.

Felt the need to go back to this as we observe the events unfolding. Isis in Syria is apparently taking on both Assad's forces as well as rebel forces not allied with ISIS.

Isis crucifies nine people in Syrian villages
Crucifixions have been meted out by Isis across Syria as punishment to rebels.
The men were reportedly rebels fighting against both President Bashar al-Assad and jihadist groups including Isis.

For anyone who still clings to the hope that rebels will set up something other than strict Sharia law, the recent events in Iraq, and how they affect the fighting in Syria, is not good news.

:( Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Created: 06/30/2014 9:24 PM WHEC.com
By: Associated Press

"President Barack Obama says he's sending about 200 more U.S. troops to Iraq to protect Americans and the U.S. Embassy in Baghdad.

The announcement will bring to nearly 800 the total number of U.S. forces in and around Iraq to train local forces, secure the embassy and protect American interests.

Obama notified House and Senate leaders in a letter on Monday. Obama says the additions include security forces, rotary-wing aircraft, and support for intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance.

Obama has ruled out sending combat troops back into Iraq. But he says the additional troops will be equipped for combat. He says their purpose is to protect U.S. citizens and property if needed.

Obama says the troops will stay in Iraq until security improves so that the reinforcements are no longer needed."

Last edited:
Without taking a more direct role, it would appear as though allying with Assad and Iran is now the best chance we've got at halting Isis. In fact Iraq is already considering officially accepting help from Iran in light of our refusal to send air support. This is depressing and funny at the same time. Might as well laugh at the circus if the show's gonna go on whether you want it to or not.

And it would appear that not much ground has been made in Iraq despite claims on the media, so maybe it is the Iraqi forces doing the fighting after all.

Sorry if the disrespect I exhibit towards soldiers who flee at the sight of fanatical enemies, allowing those whose protection they have been charged with to be taken without contest. is evident.

Back when Obama was looking at getting involved in Syria's war, ISIS was one of them that would benefit from this since they've been doing a lot of fighting in Syria. If you listen to Counterpunch we've been aiding them for a long time. Friends in one country, enemies in another. The United States may be the only government in the history of the world capable of doing this.

They're beheading children and mounting their heads in parks. Charming...

I apologize in advance for being nuts, but I'd be lying if I said I hadn't at least fantasized about flying over to Iraq And joining the Kurds. Crazy, I know, but I hate not having the option to shoot these guys in the face.

And the Iraqi forces that abandoned their cities and left the people to their dismal fates can go F themselves. Pitiful excuses for soldiers.