Is this site as toxic as r/vegan?

I usually say I'm vegetarian or mostly vegan depending on the discussion, and often find I'm stricter than many who rant about being vegan
I don't know quite how to answer that question much of the time. I completely endorse the idea of veganism but I'm not vegan, so I tend to avoid saying I am. But then again, how to describe yourself in a way that reflects your support for the idea? I think my profile here says vegan lifestyle, and it mostly is. I have gone to animal advocacy protests, I've created some FB pages about veganism, run a FB group for farmers and vegans to talk and have my own blog. But I am not a vegan because I do eat animal products sometimes. If someone asks directly, I usually say vegan just because if you say you aren't, it means you don't endorse veganism. It's tricky!

Personally I don't go for the whole idea of someone being a vegan - if you want to take the idea on board, go for it. And ask questions and learn more and work out what you want to do. But maybe that's just me making excuses...

I have tried saying "I'm 90% vegan" but even that receives responses such as "you're either vegan or you aren't!" No partial credit, apparently. But it also doesn't seem accurate to say I'm a carnivore because I might eat meat a few times a year. So I've defaulted to "I don't eat a lot of meat," which just tends to confuse everyone. :D I try to support people who are at least making an effort to cut down on animal products, because I want them to keep going. The "all or nothing" attitude can alienate many people.

Last edited:
I've said this before but I guess it bears repeating.
IMHO, veganism is all about intent. (not perfection, purity, or percentages). Hey, it even uses the words "Strives For" in the official definition.
I know a lot of people hate this but .... I think, if you want to be vegan, POOF! You're a vegan.
In some fields they have a saying, its the process not the product (or result).
So many applicable sayings:

Its not whether you win or lose - but how you play the game.
No one is perfect.
Just try your hardest.
If you fall down, dust yourself off and get back up.

I believe in the reverse corollary as well.
Even if you eat a strict vegetarian diet - for whatever reason, you're not a vegan unless you are trying to be one.

On the subject of toxicity: I haven't posted very much here, but so far it seems like a pretty understanding place.
In my experience it is. Sometimes one runs into more judgmental posts/users but they never seem to grow old on this site. Maybe this place is not "strict" enough for them to feel at home.

Reactions: ewomack
My 2p
Yes, /r/vegan is toxic.
I've had some good discussions there, but the number of extremists is alarming.
I've been on reddit for many years, but been vegan about 3 months.
Since then I have blocked more users over there than in all the years I've been on.

The attacks on fellow vegans for presumed minor hiccup in vegan lifestyle are quite sad.
The crazy people who think an ant's life is of EQUAL worth to a pig's or even human's.
The attacks on people who are not 100% on board. All or nothing. Someone eats a bit of cake at Xmas without double checking that there are no eggs or milk...."You are not a vegan".

I am so tired of it.
In my mind any effort to reduce suffering is good. Of course, cutting out animal products altogether is an end goal, but going flex, vegetarian, reductarian etc can be a good first step...You wouldn't think so in /r/reddit.
I've only been here a day, so I am crossing my fingers.