Is this site as toxic as r/vegan?

Hashtag_Eevee

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
There are worst, more toxic vegan reddit out there, and r/vegan is a place to unwind, vent and be uplifted, but the culture there can massively leak into real life (like all of reddit) and can negatively affect vegan advocacy. It promotes things like shaming carnists, despite the fact that carnism is a huge thing and individuals should not get all of the blame, and other issues like comparing racism to carnism, which is sort of valid in a way but carnists would view this as a no go area. Is veganforum like r/vegan? From what I have seen not really, but I want other people's knowledge of this site.

Reactions: Brian W
Nope.

I'm a Reddit user - but I have never posted there. I set up a daily newsfeed for Reddit stuff but mostly get stuff from the dumb drivers, unexpected, and Aww. I don't pay much attention to Reddit or FaceBook vegan spaces.
And I bet for the same reasons you find bothersome: Carnists.
Our sys admin does not tolerate Carnists. Anybody who disses vegans get kicked off pretty quick. well I suppose if a CarnIst showed up and was respectful and participated in intelligent debate they would be tolerated. but to the best of my knowledge that hasn't happened.

Oh, I should add that we don't allow anyone to shame anyone here. One time someone called me "not vegan enough" and he got a time-out. And the moderators don't put up with name calling either. we are ok with debates but you should never get personal.

Most of the discussion here are among a sort of core group. We hardly ever disagree. But its kind of nice when we get some alternate views.

As a whole, not at all. You'll find posts here and there that are out of line, but they are by far the exception, and none are regular posters
Most of us have been members of this, and what was a forum that was merged, for many years, and have many conversations other than vegan goals or animal rights, but those also have there their own forums
Nope.

I'm a Reddit user - but I have never posted there. I set up a daily newsfeed for Reddit stuff but mostly get stuff from the dumb drivers, unexpected, and Aww. I don't pay much attention to Reddit or FaceBook vegan spaces.
Our sys admin does not tolerate Carnists. Anybody who disses vegans get kicked off pretty quick. well I suppose if a CarnIst showed up and was respectful and participated in intelligent debate they would be tolerated. but to the best of my knowledge that hasn't happened.

Oh, I should add that we don't allow anyone to shame anyone here. One time someone called me "not vegan enough" and he got a time-out. And the moderators don't put up with name calling either. we are ok with debates but you should never get personal.

Most of the discussion here are among a sort of core group. We hardly ever disagree. But its kind of nice when we get some alternate views.
I read the OP as saying the forums are too excessively critical of carnists, not that carnists are coming to bully vegans.
I don't put up with either

:welcome: Hashtag__Eevee!

Nope.

Yh I also meant to say things about the carnist trolls etc.

This is the first and only chat site I've ever been to on the topic of veganism, my experience has been great. Everyone has been so open, understanding, and supportive. Interestingly story about how I chose a began lifestyle, extremist vegan protests popped up on YouTube,and I watched it, expecting people to be too extreme and oversensitive. By watching the video, and then more videos, I learned about the impact eating animals and their products had, I learned a lot, and realized I agree with it and want to do it to. Non violent extremists and/activists are important, they have a place : )

This is the first and only chat site I've ever been to on the topic of veganism, my experience has been great.

my (half joking ) impression is that the "you're not vegan enough" vegans that have visited here found this to be an unfriendly place or left in disgust of the moderates that live here.

Not joking, we don't seem to have any of the nutty vegans that I sometime meet IRL. like the daughter of a friend who won't eat a vegan sandwich that got delivered in the same bag as non-vegan sandwiches.

Also we don't seem to have a lot of activists on this site. Maybe its cause in general we are an older crowd. Or maybe cause all the activists are on Facebook and Reddit.:)

I suppose if a CarnIst showed up and was respectful and participated in intelligent debate they would be tolerated. but to the best of my knowledge that hasn't happened.

I can think of several cases of that happening. In particular I remember a contributor who said he was a young farmer who wanted to try to understand the arguments for veganism. I suspect he was genuine and was attempting to examine his conscience. Anyway, he received lots of responses and eventually left with absolutely no acrimony.

What sometime bugs me is the occasional once only poster who asks a question (often about needing support) receives lots of well thought out concerned replies but then immediately disappears without even the courtesy of a little thank-you. I suspect that some of them are not just lacking manners but are trolls attempting to get a few vegans agitated.

If that is my greatest forum moan then I guess things must be being done about right. :)

Roger.

my (half joking ) impression is that the "you're not vegan enough" vegans that have visited here found this to be an unfriendly place or left in disgust of the moderates that live here.

Not joking, we don't seem to have any of the nutty vegans that I sometime

Also we don't seem to have a lot of activists on this site. Maybe its cause in general we are an older crowd. Or maybe cause all the activists are on Facebook and Reddit.:)
I like this place, Its good to talk to other people with the same dietary choices, I'm not worried if people think I'm not vegan enough, what is that? I'm pursuing my own personal choices in life, and I appreciate people the support

I like this place, Its good to talk to other people with the same dietary choices, I'm not worried if people think I'm not vegan enough, what is that? I'm pursuing my own personal choices in life, and I appreciate people the support
I have terrible typing habits, theres basically a typo in everything I say, but I'm genuine.

I can think of several cases of that happening. In particular I remember a contributor who said he was a young farmer who wanted to try to understand the arguments for veganism. I suspect he was genuine and was attempting to examine his conscience. Anyway, he received lots of responses and eventually left with absolutely no acrimony.

What sometime bugs me is the occasional once only poster who asks a question (often about needing support) receives lots of well thought out concerned replies but then immediately disappears without even the courtesy of a little thank-you. I suspect that some of them are not just lacking manners but are trolls attempting to get a few vegans agitated.

If that is my greatest forum moan then I guess things must be being done about right. :)

Roger.

I feel like a site that isnt extremist is best for me, I just want to talk about things Lol.
I believe the extremist groups have their place though, that's how I learned about veganism, but I'd rather talk to the people i know about it, gently encourage it, I'll respect their choices, but I do believe veganism is best.

Holy crap! they lived such a small fraction of their natural life expectancy, that's so terrible, people speak with a tragic tone when they talk about "dying young," but this sentiment isnt applied to animals.
Dont worry, I'm sure schools will catch onto the idea very soon, and encourage plant based eating. The next generation will probably be at least half vegan. That's something to hope for

Luckily, another thing we don’t see much here are the so-called « v-egg-ans » or « bee-gans », i.e. people coming here stating that they themselves choose to consume animal products like eggs or honey, however they still consider themselves vegan and refer to themselves as such.
Those are views I can personally do without, but the very few times I have seen this happen, people typically responded « We’re happy that you try to limit your consumption of animal products, but please, refer to yourself as vegetarian, otherwise it is confusing for everyone « …

I guess one of the advantages of this forum here is that interested people have to sign up specifically to participate. On Reddit or Facebook or Twitter, there are literally millions of people not interested in veganism who can simply reply to everything they see, accounting for a more toxic discussion…

Luckily, another thing we don’t see much here are the so-called « v-egg-ans » or « bee-gans », i.e. people coming here stating that they themselves choose to consume animal products like eggs or honey, however they still consider themselves vegan and refer to themselves as such.
Those are views I can personally do without, but the very few times I have seen this happen, people typically responded « We’re happy that you try to limit your consumption of animal products, but please, refer to yourself as vegetarian, otherwise it is confusing for everyone « …
We do have those discussions. Maybe more on a theoretical or abstract level than a practical level. But I like those discussions. I find them interesting and informative.
I'm also very tolerant of what people call themselves. IMHO, veganism is all about intent. So if you want to call yourself vegan you can call yourself vegan.
" refer to yourself as vegetarian" is just another way of saying "you're not vegan enough" which is a type of vegan shaming.

We do have those discussions. Maybe more on a theoretical or abstract level than a practical level. But I like those discussions. I find them interesting and informative.
I'm also very tolerant of what people call themselves. IMHO, veganism is all about intent. So if you want to call yourself vegan you can call yourself vegan.
" refer to yourself as vegetarian" is just another way of saying "you're not vegan enough" which is a type of vegan shaming.
How so? If you choose to have animal products in your regular diet (as opposed to making exceptions for the circumstance) you choose not to be vegan, so where's the shame?
I understand it's easier for some to remain vegan then for others, but what irritates me are those who just desire to say 'vegan' and expect people to go along with it regardless of intentional acceptance of things like eggs, or yogurt or whatever they just don't want to give up.
What is wrong with identifying what you do? Like there's shame in being vegetarian?
I usually say I'm vegetarian or mostly vegan depending on the discussion, and often find I'm stricter than many who rant about being vegan