Is this Green Giant product veggie?

WorriedVegan

Newcomer
Reaction score
I just bought a product stated as veggie, so I suposed the bacon in it would be veggie too, but now I’m reading the ingredients and I’m not really sure.

The product name is “Green Giant Veggie Tots: Cauliflower, Cheese & Bacon”, on the ingredients list it says: “Bacon Pieces (Water, Salt, Sugar, Sodium Phosphate, Sodium Erythorbate, Sodium Nitrite)”

So, is this veggie bacon or real bacon in it?

You can see it here: greengiant.com / products / detail /green-giant-veggie-tots-cauliflower-cheese-bacon

I can’t click the link. I doubt it’s veggie bacon though.

It says bacon pieces. So, I say it’s real bacon.

Reactions: Lou

To access the URL you have to copy it and delete the gaps between the slashes. I copied it like that because I cannot post URLs as a new user.

On the other side, if you notice, when referring to the “bacon pieces” it opens a parenthesis and says “(water, salt, sodium...)”, so I thought that maybe those ingredients in brackets could be the ingredients of a veggie bacon?

Last edited:
To access the URL you have to copy it and delete the gaps between the slashes. I copied it like that because I cannot post URLs as a new user.

On the other side, if you notice, when referring to the “bacon pieces” it opens a parenthesis and says “(water, salt, sodium...)”, so I tought that maybe those ingredients in brackets could be the ingredients of a veggie bacon?
I really doubt it.

I don't know anything more about it. But I checked my cupboard and I have a fake bacon salad topping. and the ingredients don't include the word "bacon" or "bacon pieces".

Reactions: KLS52
I don't know anything more about it. But I checked my cupboard and I have a fake bacon salad topping. and the ingredients don't include the word "bacon" or "bacon pieces".

I just contacted them directly, we’ll see if they answer. If it’s finally real bacon it would be very misleading information having a giant VEGGIE word written on the package and having real bacon in it...

Not even remotely. They are labeled "veggie tots." Not Vegan or plant based veggies tots. It doesn't even look misleading to me, TBH. ...Well, the only thing that is slightly misleading is calling them "tots" when they no potato. 🤔 What a terrible product.

For me is misleading in the aspect that the word Veggie is usually used for identifying vegetarian/vegan products

For me is misleading in the aspect that the word Veggie is usually used for identifying vegetarian/vegan products

I agree it should be safe to assume that a "Veggie" product wouldn't contain any meat.
But in their defense, they used the word Veggie, not the word Vegetarian. And it has the wore "bacon" in the title.

Reactions: KLS52
"Veggie' does not translate to "vegan" or "vegetarian" any more than "milk" should only mean cow's milk. It simply means there are veggies in it. Veggies are simply "vegetables." I think the point they're making is that they are not *potato* (aka, "tater") tots.

Edit - furthermore, a ton of Green Giant frozen vegetables have butter in ingredients. Perhaps that's why I'm not surprised. I almost never buy frozen veggies (...) and when I do, I never buy that brand because of the other cr@p they put in their products.

It does contain bacon as stated on the packaging. The term veggie only means that the product related to vegetables. I find that the
packaging is indeed very clear.:) Bacon does contain water, salt and sugar as it's used by manufactures to add weight to the finished product. Moreover, that is also the reason why it shrinks during the cooking process.

They also do have a vegetarian version of the product that contains eggs.

However, I find a difference between the labelling of food in the US and US to be very different. In Europe the V logo and or term
''suitable for vegetarians or vegans'' is placed on the front of the packaging.

Perhaps consumers in the US should write to food manufactures and request that they use the V logo. This would enable the former
to identify if the food they are buying are plant based. 👍

Reactions: Lou and KLS52
We do have that logo on a lot of our products. But I think the problem is, omni people are turned off by it. They don’t get that a lot of “real food” is automatically suitable for vegans. Just because it says vegan doesn’t mean it’s made from tofu.

We do have that logo on a lot of our products. But I think the problem is, omni people are turned off by it. They don’t get that a lot of “real food” is automatically suitable for vegans. Just because it says vegan doesn’t mean it’s made from tofu.

That is true to a certain extent. I've heard people say that they want a normal cake that has tons of eggs and butter because it'll taste good. They assume that a vegan cake will obviously taste bland.

However, I do find that the labelling and presentation of food is clearer and more appealing in the UK.

Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Here in the US we do have some help with labeling. But I believe it's pretty much voluntary. At Trader Joes in the frozen food aisles, the frozen dinners that are vegan say "Vegan" right on the front of the box - usually in the bottom left corner. Progresso soup say "Vegetarian" right over the ingredients, saving us the time of reading the whole list.

It seems most of our new labeling laws go in the opposite direction tho. You know the laws that say you can't call a veggie patty a burger.

Here in the US we do have some help with labeling. But I believe it's pretty much voluntary. At Trader Joes in the frozen food aisles, the frozen dinners that are vegan say "Vegan" right on the front of the box - usually in the bottom left corner. Progresso soup say "Vegetarian" right over the ingredients, saving us the time of reading the whole list.

It seems most of our new labeling laws go in the opposite direction tho. You know the laws that say you can't call a veggie patty a burger.

I have noticed that TJ do a good job with their food labelling. However, they have more echo conscious customers compared to
the other major supermarkets. You really do have to hunt down the few vegan options.
Sprouts Farmer's market also do quite a good job and have a good selection of vegan options. However, they quite expensive.

I find the main difference between US & UK supermarkets is that the latter all have their own shop brand of vegan options which are
usually far cheaper than other brands. There is also a huge effort to promote these brands due to the never ending high demand
of flexetrians. :)